Visual Filter: MSS (Manuscript)

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 49
Rick Blankenship | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 15 2014 8:46 AM

I am trying to create a VF based on the actual MSS word versus the lemma.  I have several VFs based on lemmas, but I am finding that these can be somewhat misleading.  For instance, throughout the OT, we see the word God, but the underlying lemma is Elohim (which means "gods"); however, the actual MSS is Elohei (which has a more personal meaning of "our God").  

Needless to say, I have not been able to figure it out to this point.  Has someone already created a VF based on MSS?

Thanks in advance!

Blessings & Shalom!

Posts 21701
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 15 2014 9:28 AM

Rick Blankenship:
 For instance, throughout the OT, we see the word God, but the underlying lemma is Elohim (which means "gods"); however, the actual MSS is Elohei (which has a more personal meaning of "our God").  

Can you give some examples?

The NIV RI seems to show them as being the same

Posts 49
Rick Blankenship | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 15 2014 10:02 AM

Look at Gen 24:27.  There are many others, but that is why I need the VF for MSS.  8-)

Posts 21701
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 15 2014 10:08 AM

Rick Blankenship:
Look at Gen 24:27.  There are many others, but that is why I need the VF for MSS.  8-)

Thanks

Right-click on the word God in that verse, select "manuscript" and "search this resource"

Run the search

Then Save it as a Visual Filter

Alternatively you could have just put the Manuscript directly into the Visual Filter search box

Does this help?

(Incidentally, when posting pictures to the forum you need to use the paperclip icon in the bar at the top of the editor)

Posts 49
Rick Blankenship | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 15 2014 1:30 PM

Graham,

This worked perfectly!  Thanks!

I was trying to go about by writing the formula from scratch, and assumed I had to replace the <lemma =    > with <MSS =    >.  Obviously that was wrong.

I also thought I did use the paperclip, but I was in a hurry to get my last message posted before our Shabbat meeting started.  But here is the graphic I  tried sending last time:

Whereas, now with the new VF, I can show:

Again, thank you so much for your help!

Blessings & Shalom!

Posts 21701
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 15 2014 1:58 PM

Rick Blankenship:
Again, thank you so much for your help!

Pleased to help - and thanks for the shots of what your filters are doing. Looks very usefulSmile

Posts 49
Rick Blankenship | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 15 2014 3:11 PM

May I impose further and ask if you can assist with one more issue along these lines?

If you notice in the above screen shots, the English text reads "...the LORD God...".  However, the "the" is really not there in the Hebrew.  It only reads, "...YHVH Elohim...".

What I would like to do is use a filter to automatically grey out the "the" and place three lines through it.  I have already built my style on my Personal Palette, and have been using it as I come across each of these through my regular reading/study.  But I would like to just get them all done at the same time with a filter.  Since there is no Hebrew word to "hang" the VF onto, I can't figure out if it can even be done.

Any ideas?

Here is a screen shot of the greyed out "the", I am doing manually:

Posts 21701
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 15 2014 11:51 PM

You could try the following as a search string for your visual filter

the NOTEQUALS הַ

This will certainly find the "the" before "Lord God" in Genesis 24:27 and enable you to apply your filter.

But it will apply the filter to all such occurrences (including potentially occurrences of the word "the" with different underlying Hebrew words) not just before Lord

Is this any help at all?

Posts 13307
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 16 2014 12:06 AM

Graham Criddle:
the NOTEQUALS הַ

A bible search for the NOTEQUALS (<LogosMorphHeb ~>) is another alternative.

(the NOTEQUALS (<LogosMorphHeb ~>)) BEFORE 1-2 WORDS אֱלֹהֵ֣י if you want it to work only before Elohim.

(the NOTEQUALS (<LogosMorphHeb ~>)) BEFORE 1-2 WORDS (אֱלֹהֵ֣י, <Lemma = lbs/he/יהוה>) includes occurrences before Yahweh as well.

Sorry, that won't work, as it will highlight Elohim and Yahweh, as well as 'the'.

Posts 49
Rick Blankenship | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 16 2014 3:33 AM

I will give it a try later today.  However, as you point out, it may take out some words that actually need to be there.  I am thinking I will be relegated to doing this manually over time.

Thank you, again!

Posts 49
Rick Blankenship | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 16 2014 3:35 AM

Mark,

Thanks for sending the code, but more importantly, figuring out it won't work!  

I appreciate your feedback.

Blessings & Shalom!

Posts 21701
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 16 2014 5:22 AM

Mark Barnes:
Sorry, that won't work, as it will highlight Elohim and Yahweh, as well as 'the'.

Yes I was thinking about this

We would need the capability to have multiple search items but for "hits" to be applied to just one of them.

This would be helpful in searches (as a whole) as well for visual filters.

But I don't know how complex it would be to develop and how much call there would be for itSmile

Posts 49
Rick Blankenship | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 26 2015 6:38 AM

I revisited this issue and decided instead of trying to grey/cross out just the word "the" immediately before LORD, to go ahead and grey/cross out the whole phrase, "the LORD".  To do this was a simple VF.  By placing the phrase in quotes within the VF, it only finds "the LORD" and then the selection from my personal palette takes care of the grey/cross out.  Here is a screen shot of the VF and final product.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 2 2015 6:41 AM

Rick Blankenship:
Any ideas?

Proximity search can highlight the:

("O","the","my") BEFORE 0-2 WORDS lemma:יהוה

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS