To those unhappy with Logos communication during outage

Page 5 of 5 (82 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 81 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 26538
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 12:37 PM

Donnie Hale:

I saw that, one of the first Faithlife responses to the situation. Later, another Faithlife person said it was only web server storage that was impacted, not "databases" (in quote b/c of the various database / storage solutions in question).

I had read the responses a bit differently. I thought they were trying to assure us that the databases, including syncing dbs, were all intact -- that only the services were affected i.e. the hard drives are fine the communication links with the servers and/or drives are not.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 1:37 PM

Donnie Hale:

Rosie Perera:
Faithlife's Director of IT, Jim Straatman, said it was ~190TB of data

I saw that, one of the first Faithlife responses to the situation. Later, another Faithlife person said it was only web server storage that was impacted, not "databases" (in quote b/c of the various database / storage solutions in question).

That raised my platform architect antenna - why would a web server (or even a large farm of web servers) need 190TB of data? I know I don't have all the details - just based on those two separately-provided data points.

Donnie

I am "another Faithlife person", and here is the post in which I said that databases were not impacted: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/96644/665938.aspx#665938

Specifically, I said that this was the case for sync data (reading plans, prayer lists, notes, preferences, and about 30 other kinds of user-generated content).

We have a variety of storage systems in use at Faithlife, and only one of those storage systems was impacted by this issue. In the case of sync, only the sync web servers were located on the affected storage system—the data itself is still on an older system and had not been migrated. (sync data itself is close to 4 TB)

That being said, there's much more to Faithlife than sync data, and many sites and services had migrated their databases to the failed storage cluster.

So this should explain the discrepancy between "only web servers affected [for sync]" and "190 TB in the storage cluster [for more than sync]"

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Page 5 of 5 (82 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS