Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 26277
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 22 2014 11:24 PM

I do not use Proclaim not o I foresee any circumstances in which I would. So my interest is purely academic ... or forum support. I thought that Proclaim could run a presentation totally locally although one would normally use web/internet resource to build the presentation? Is that true? If it is, what considerations makes one run it in internet mode at an actual presentation?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 102
Andrew Mercer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 22 2014 11:51 PM

Hi MJ. The Internet mode is mainly for collaboration between various team members. Where my church came unstuck this weekend was I had prepared 80% of sermon slides on my church computer and was then going to finish the remaining 20% from home on the Saturday and our video guy was to add songs, annouements etc on Saturday as well

I could have driven the 22kms to church to grab a backup of the initial work to load onto my home computer, and then take a copy of that to our worship centre computer. Unfortunately for me it wasn't practical to do that. So this morning we fell back onto our old software, ProPresenter

Posts 26277
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 12:08 AM

makes sense. thanks

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 124
Lawrence Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 1:21 AM

My secretary prepares the announcement slides on her computer, which I combine with the rest of the presentations I put together on my office computer through the Internet. On Sunday mornings we sync the sanctuary laptop via wifi with the presentations we have put together and use it to actually run the presentations. I use my iPad via wifi to control the presentations on the laptop. 

If the wifi is down, I can back up the presentations to a USB drive and upload them to the sanctuary laptop, but it generally isn't at all necessary. I wouldn't be able to use my iPad to control the presentation if wifi is down (I have a Logitech USB presenter that will work in a pinch). I MUCH prefer to work via wifi.

Does that make sense?

Posts 4624
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 1:38 AM

Hi Matha

The raison d'être for using Proclaim (as I understand it) is to provide for the visual sense to be stimulated in what is often a 'audible only' act of worship.

By placing the words of hymns in the line of sight (rather than at navel height as often is with hymn books) we see the words and we lift (literally) our songs to God.

By presenting the bible in words on the screen as it is read we allow both senses to be activated - we hear the word and we see the word. More importantly perhaps those unskilled with bibles (or for that matter with dexterity) can read as well as hear.

By allowing visual reinforcement of the sermon - we teach using the best methods available - knowing how hard it to concentrate in a visual vacuum.

There are also additional side benefits - announcements can be made before the start of the service - with time for folks to make a note of them.

When other means of accompaniment are not available; recorded music can be added to the songs.

Those who are deaf or hard of hearing will be catered for.

I rarely use Proclaim in "internet mode" as I sync the service onto a laptop on Saturday night and make sure that everything is ready for Sunday morning.

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 1:50 AM

Good summary Mike.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 26277
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 2:11 AM

Thanks everyone. I think what was really puzzling me is differences in the rhythm of the week in various scenarios. The pastors I am most familiar with either have such busy Saturdays that the Sunday services are "put to bed" by Friday or Saturday is one of the days they have off for family ... in which case the Sunday services are "put to bed" by Friday".

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS