Which Mac laptop for Logos 6?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3
Bob Edwards | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 27 2014 10:09 AM

I've got an old (mid-2007) iMac on which my Logos 5 runs at a glacial pace.  I'd considered deferring its replacement to spring, but am very tempted to take the plunge and get a new Mac laptop.  Right now, I've got it narrowed down to either a 13" or a 15" Retina MacBook Pro, but would like some advice as to which one; RAM recommendations; SSID capacity recommendations; and overall experience with Yosemite.  (I know there's been problems there, but are they getting better?)

I want to cross grade over to Logos 6 and to get even, consistent performance like the advertising videos demonstrate.  I would appreciate general comments/suggestions, and specifically some addressing the following:

13" or 15" - Does it matter that much with Logos which is chosen?

8GB or 16GB? (A moot point if 15"is chosen

256K or 512K SSID?

I'd love to have as many responses as I can get before tomorrow as that's when the sale will end.  a heartfelt "Thanks!" In advance to all who reply.

And with this inquiry, I'm a first-time poster!  

Posts 810
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 27 2014 10:14 AM

I've got a 13" 2013 Macbook Pro with SSD and 8GB RAM which works extremely well for me. If it's only Logos you are interested in, the bigger the screen the better in many ways - I use a separate screen on my desk to make me more productive. I am running Yosemite and didn't have any problems with wifi: a couple of the threads indicated that a lot of the problems were with older hardware, but I might be wrong there. 

I'd go for minimum 8GB RAM, and an SSD certainly makes a difference. The largest I could get when I bought my was 256GB, and that has been fine to me, but I don't do much with media outside  Logos.

EDIT: Welcome to the forums, by the way! 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 4182
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 27 2014 10:23 AM

Hi Bob

I wonder what it is that the Pro has over the Air that makes it so attractive?

I have an Air and find that Logos runs great with it. Admittedly I am not a power user.

The thing I think about a laptop is that you don't want to be thinking that it is too much trouble to take with you.

Light and portable are important (especially light) if you are moving about a lot.

I have the 11in i7 with 256 GB SSD.

In theory I share a plug in CD player between the laptop and the iMac – Is it old age that is preventing me remembering the last time I actually used it.

Posts 1050
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 27 2014 11:03 AM

I don't have a Mac now but, I think the best choice is the MacBook Pro 15" with 16GB and 256GB SSD, if you had the extra cash i would get the 512GB SSD.  But that is me, I always like to have extra than to need it down the road and have to upgrade then.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Sierra   iPad Mini 4,   IPhone 6.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 27 2014 11:34 AM

Obviously, this is a matter of trade-offs. Otherwise, get the biggest features offered.

Screen: it would really depend on whether you want must have an ultra-portable or a bigger, more powerful laptop. I would recommend the bigger one, because in Logos you will be studying and very likely work with more than 2 panels.

8 or 16GB of RAM is really a toss and not a big issue if you just use it for Logos. Photography editing applications are more RAM intensive. 8GB would be more than sufficient for general use.

SSD - Solid State Drive - it is best to have as much as you can, because with new Mac laptops you CANNOT upgrade in the future.

Posts 139
Rich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 27 2014 5:47 PM

I love my MBA (see my signature for specifics). It runs LOGOS 6 with Yosemite nicely. I take it to class and anytime when out of the house doing Bible study, etc. Of course when at home I enjoy more real estate that the larger monitor provides. Always remember you can attach a monitor to either a MBA or MBP if desired. The SSD is the only way to go IMHO.

Doer of Things

Logos 7 Bronze

13" MBA 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 RAM, 512 SSD

27" iMAC 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 RAM, 1TB SATA Disk

iPad Air 2, iPhone 6

Posts 5065
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 27 2014 7:11 PM

MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2012), Intel Core i7 2.3 GHz (Cores: 4), 8 GB, 512 GB SSD

Is my machine and it runs Logos beautifully (Verbum Actually).

-Dan

Posts 3
Bob Edwards | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 27 2014 8:20 PM

Thanks to all who have replied and offered me insight.  I've made my decision, and have just placed my order:

B&H Photo had an offer I couldn't refuse:  A late 2013 model 15" Retina MacBook Pro with a 2.3 GHz quad-core Intel i7 processor; 16GB of ram; 512GB of PCie-based Flash Storage; and an NVIDIA GT 750M graphics card  - and it was $600 off of the original retail price!

This should more than suffice for Logos 6, and offer quite a few years before obsolescence.

I won't know how to behave when I don't have to read a chapter of "War and Peace" while waiting on Logos to respond as I was having to do on my iMac (smile!).

Hopefully, the transition to Logos 6 from 5, and from Snow Leopard to Yosemite will go relatively painless as well.

Thanks again for your helpful replies!

(Just my 2nd post, and I didn't see a "reply all", so hoping this will just join the sequence of posts already entered on the subject.)

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 27 2014 8:53 PM

Bob Edwards:
A late 2013 model 15" Retina MacBook Pro with a 2.3 GHz quad-core Intel i7 processor; 16GB of ram; 512GB of PCie-based Flash Storage; and an NVIDIA GT 750M graphics card

Similar to my rMBP - you will be very happy with its performance.

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 31
GCFSR | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 5:16 PM

MacBook Pro retina (15" Mid 2014), Intel Core i7 2.5 GHz (Cores: 4), 16 GB, 512 GB SSD

Posts 66
Jon Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 5:45 PM

I have a mid 2009 MacBook pro 13" with 8GB ram and a 160gb regular HD, and I find that Logos runs just fine on it. I do use an external monitor when I am at home sitting at my desk. If I were to upgrade, it would be the 13" Macbook Air with 8GB Ram and at least 256gb SSD or the 15" MacBook Pro with 16GB ram and 512GB SSD. 

Posts 65
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 23 2014 6:50 PM

I know you already ordered your laptop and I believe you will be very happy with it. I will leave my 2 cents for the benefit of any others who might be considering entering into the realm of Mac.

I have a late 2013 MBP with 2.8GHZ I7 with 16GB ram and a 1TB SSD drive which I picked up on the Apple Store's Refurbished site - saving about $600. I have no problems with Logos 6 or Yosemite at all. Sometimes I run both Windows 7 & Windows 8 in separate virtual machines via VMware Fusion while at the same time running Yosemite with Logos 6, MSWord, an email program, Evernote, OneNote, and Chrome with about a dozen tabs open and I have no noticeable lags or delays.

Previous to this computer I had a 2010 Macbook Air with 4GB RAM & a 256GB SSD. I noticed very little difference in Logos 5 performance using my 2010 Macbook Air vs. my beefed up 2013 MBP. It is only when trying to run a VM, or many programs, or many tabs open in Chrome along with Logos 5, that on occasion I would have a few performance issues on My Macbook Air, other than that the 4GB RAM with SSD Drive was enough to handle Logos effectively.

My recommendation is to only buy an SSD drive and get as much RAM as you can afford especially as Apple is making it increasingly hard to upgrade once you have purchased your computer. The computer's processor is probably the least important consideration unless you are doing video processing/compilation. Having said that... the new entry level processors at 1.3 MGHZ are probably a little underpowered and I would recommend moving up to the next level.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS