OT: Which area of the monitor do you instinctively focus on?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 6 2014 8:14 AM

I find that my eyes are naturally drawn to the bottom of the screen.

So in a Logos resource, say the ESV bible, the verse I am currently reading in the passage is usually in the lower 1/3rd of the screen.

This is not a big deal of course except when it comes to functionality like linked resources, where the topmost verse is taken as the point of reference.

Am I in the minority in this behaviour? Just thought I would do an informal poll....Smile

Thanks

Posts 22019
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 6 2014 8:16 AM

Geo Philips:
So in a Logos resource, say the ESV bible, the verse I am currently reading in the passage is usually in the lower 1/3rd of the screen.

I probably focus more naturally on the top half of the screen

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 6 2014 8:30 AM

Geo Philips:
I find that my eyes are naturally drawn to the bottom of the screen.

This may be the physical position of your monitor relative to the physical position of your eyes. What happens if you change position?

For me "eye level" is 3 or 4 lines from the top.

Have you considered tiling your Bible and other preferred linked resource to the bottom half of the screen?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 6 2014 8:52 AM

Rich DeRuiter:

This may be the physical position of your monitor relative to the physical position of your eyes. What happens if you change position?

For me "eye level" is 3 or 4 lines from the top.

Have you considered tiling your Bible and other preferred linked resource to the bottom half of the screen?

My eye level is similar to yours. It is just natural for me to then look down from the eye level rather than straight.

Maybe it is time for me to train to not do this anymore.

I have tried moving resources to the bottom panes but that somehow felt 'off' to me.

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 6 2014 10:07 AM

Wow! What a question. Lol

With my monitor at approximately 30 degrees below eye level and 26 inches from my face, my focal point is in the top half of the monitor (edge to edge doesn't matter). My Bible is generally on the right pane of the Logos desktop.

Posts 3115
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 6 2014 1:47 PM

I focus on the left side of the screen, so Logos/Verbum's default and unchangeable book-opening behaviour drives me bonkers.

Posts 1591
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 6 2014 2:58 PM

Here’s a screenshot of the top half of my screen where my eyes tend to focus most (27 inch iMac). I’ve found that my word processor works best in the middle, so I split Logos up. The Information panel on the right pushes my Bible to the center more. I usually have a table of contents open on the left panels to push the reading area more to the center.

Posts 18725
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 6 2014 3:42 PM

Geo Philips:

My eye level is similar to yours. It is just natural for me to then look down from the eye level rather than straight.

Maybe it is time for me to train to not do this anymore.

Do you do this when walking outside as well? You might want to train yourself to look up or straight ahead rather than down. It's better for your neck, your eye muscles, and you will see more of the world around you. I used to walk looking down at the sidewalk all the time (for fear I might step in some dog poo or something), when a friend of mine taught me how much I was missing of God's glorious creation by doing that. And I've taught myself to change. It's for the better!

Posts 226
Michael A. Lasley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 6 2014 5:05 PM

Center right. This is because I have a large monitor (28") and rest my arm on an extension of the desk on the right to hold the mouse without strain. So I put reading panes on the right and reference panes on the left.

No instinct in it.

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 6 2014 7:19 PM

Rosie Perera:

Do you do this when walking outside as well? You might want to train yourself to look up or straight ahead rather than down. It's better for your neck, your eye muscles, and you will see more of the world around you. I used to walk looking down at the sidewalk all the time (for fear I might step in some dog poo or something), when a friend of mine taught me how much I was missing of God's glorious creation by doing that. And I've taught myself to change. It's for the better!

Actually come to think of it, I do tend to look onto the ground and walk too. I think i need to figure out a way to retrain myself.

I have 24 inch monitors both at work and home. I should probably try moving further back from the desk and see if that makes a difference.

Bringing it back to Logos, i link my bibles and commentaries when I am preparing a study or sermon but due to my habits, I am often scrolling forward in commentaries to reach the place where I want.

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 7 2014 6:01 AM

It is a good question. I see the upper third first and then to the left on all 3 monitors. Why the default opening of the first (or only) resource occurs on the right is still a mystery. I think it was programmed by a student of Hebrew...heheheh...as the AFAT and other Hebrew resources open in the right place depending which is selected first.Big Smile

{charley}

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 7 2014 5:12 PM

Dr. Charles A. Wootten:

It is a good question. I see the upper third first and then to the left on all 3 monitors. Why the default opening of the first (or only) resource occurs on the right is still a mystery. I think it was programmed by a student of Hebrew...heheheh...as the AFAT and other Hebrew resources open in the right place depending which is selected first.Big Smile

{charley}

I find the resource opening on the right a bit weird too. Was that the same in Logos 5? I am guessing it was.

To get around this, I now make Logos startup with a layout having a Bible in the left pane.

Posts 1077
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 7 2014 7:06 PM

My focus is the left side, with my commentaries on the right and passage guide lower right.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 8979
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 8 2014 1:05 PM

My eyes focus more naturally at the top as well.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS