Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 15 2014 5:22 AM

I know it's been suggested before, but to bring up again - I would love to see Msgr. Knox's translation of the Latin Vulgate in Verbum!  His elegant, timeless English is one of the greatest treasures of the 20th century Church. His translation is spiritual and literary, graceful and lyrical, making it one of the most beautiful vernacular versions of the Holy Bible.

Posts 2351
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 15 2014 5:32 AM

As I never learned Latin so a good translation English translation of the Vulgate would be very useful. A Bible that was used for over 1400 years.

[[And Yes, we need to keep bringing useful books up until they become Logos Resources.]]

Posts 233
Brian Losabia | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 15 2014 8:55 AM

YesYesYes

My appreciation of the Knox version continues to grow, the more I read it.  And wouldn't it be nice to have another English rendering of the Vulgate in Logos?

Posts 5241
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 15 2014 9:46 AM

David Ames:

As I never learned Latin so a good translation English translation of the Vulgate would be very useful. A Bible that was used for over 1400 years.

[[And Yes, we need to keep bringing useful books up until they become Logos Resources.]]

I most definitely want Logos to get Knox's wonderful translation. That said for your case I believe the Douai version is an even closer translation of the Latin. Knox was faithful but occasionally his translation is a little less literal than the Douai.

-Dan

Posts 2351
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 16 2014 7:56 PM

Dan Francis:

I most definitely want Logos to get Knox's wonderful translation. That said for your case I believe the Douai version is an even closer translation of the Latin. Knox was faithful but occasionally his translation is a little less literal than the Douai.

The Douay Rheims Bible that Logos has the Challoner version of 1749 or so and not the 1585 version

I have a PDF version of the 1585 version in Old English along with the Peter's transliteration.

I am just familiar enough with them to know how to tell them apart and have used both in some studies.

See Matt 2:1
If it says Herrod the king and Sages it is the 1585 version
If is says king Herod and wise men it is the Challoner changes

See Gen 1:5
If it says "and there was evening & morning, that made one day." It is the 1585 version
If it says "and there was evening and morning one day" it is the Challoner changes

See Psa 1:1
If it says "that hath not gone in the counsel of the impious" It is the 1585 version
If it says "the man who hath not walked in the counsel of the ungodly" it is the Challoner changes

[[One test for each of the three volumes that the original was published in.]] 

But having more then one translation of a work is always better.  Looking forward to "Knox's wonderful translation".

Posts 5241
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 17 2014 12:13 PM

Yes Challoner revision is less literal by design to make the Bible more readable, before his revision it was not uncommon to have english catholics using the KJV because it was more understandable. Challoner's revision of  Douay Rheims Bible offered a Bible that was much more readable. And in the end the greatest thing about the Knox Bible is it is a faithful translation of the Vulgate  fully annotated in it's notes when the latin deviates from the accepted Hebrew and Greek. His translation philosophy could easily have been that of the NIV Literal as possible, free as necessary. I too am greatly looking forward to the day this makes it into Logos.

-Dan 

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 20 2014 10:24 AM

Don Awalt:

I would love to see Msgr. Knox's translation of the Latin Vulgate in Verbum! 

Me too!

YesYes

Posts 3648
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 20 2014 10:34 AM

I have supported this in the past - would like to do so again.  Thanks for considering it.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1
Mark Lanari | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2015 9:48 AM

Bump! I recently discovered the Knox Bible, and it has quickly become my translation of choice because of its readability while using timeless, formal English. This is one of the few Catholic translations that I can honestly say is a joy to pick up and read! It would undoubtedly be my default Verbum translation if/when it becomes available.

Posts 2351
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2015 1:49 PM

Mark Lanari:

Bump! I recently discovered the Knox Bible, and it has quickly become my translation of choice because of its readability while using timeless, formal English. This is one of the few Catholic translations that I can honestly say is a joy to pick up and read! It would undoubtedly be my default Verbum translation if/when it becomes available.

Welcome to the forums.  And thanks for adding support to what will be a good resource. 

Posts 2992
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2015 2:08 PM

The Knox Bible has been added to the Book Suggestions UserVoice. Please visit and vote!

Posts 2992
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2015 11:41 AM

SineNomine:
Please visit and vote!

The Knox Bible now has the most votes of any of 120+ suggestions on the Book Suggestions UserVoice, with 54. Can we make it 100 votes or more?

Posts 2992
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2015 4:05 PM

SineNomine:

SineNomine:
Please visit and vote!

The Knox Bible now has the most votes of any of 120+ suggestions on the Book Suggestions UserVoice, with 54. Can we make it 100 votes or more?

The Knox Bible now has 100+ votes and remains the most popular suggestion. Can we make it 200?

Posts 2992
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2016 1:46 PM

SineNomine:
The Knox Bible now has 100+ votes and remains the most popular suggestion. Can we make it 200?

We made it over 200!

Posts 274
Average Joe | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 10:10 AM

SineNomine:

SineNomine:

We made it over 200!

Woo hoo!

I notice most of the books with the highest numbers of votes are Catholic resources. Big Smile

Posts 2992
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2016 1:22 PM

Average Joe:
I notice most of the books with the highest numbers of votes are Catholic resources. Big Smile

Well, most of the books that have been listed so far are Catholic resources, so that helps.

Posts 2992
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2016 8:14 AM

SineNomine:

SineNomine:

We made it over 200!

We're only six votes short of 250! Can we get to 250 before May?

Posts 3648
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2016 4:00 PM

SineNomine:
We're only six votes short of 250! Can we get to 250 before May?

Done!! Cool

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 83
Br. Anthony | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 25 2017 4:54 AM

BUMP!  Please bring this to Verbum!

Posts 918
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 25 2017 5:41 PM

Currently at 320 votes!  Smile

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS