Why did Joseph and Mary stay in Bethlehem for 2+ years after Jesus was born?

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 57 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 7:08 PM

George Somsel:
Except that Matthew says that they fled to Egypt.

Yes this is true, Perhaps what happened was that as they left Jerusalem to head back to Nazareth we know that an angel warned them and they went straight to Egypt.

Looking at a Logos interactive maps (sand box) Nazareth is way up north so it wouldn't make much since to travel that far north than to turn around and head straight back through Jerusalem to Egypt... Perhaps Smile

EDIT: Posted Logos Pic

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it's been found difficult and not tried.

Posts 9944
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 7:30 PM

Bryan S.:

George Somsel:

Yes this is true, Perhaps what happened was that as they left Jerusalem to head back to Nazareth we know that an angel warned them and they went straight to Egypt.

Looking at a Logos interactive maps (sand box) Nazareth is way up north so it wouldn't make much since to travel that far north than to turn around and head straight back through Jerusalem to Egypt... Perhaps Smile

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.  Perhaps anything is possible.  It is best to simply read what the text states and not attempt to make acommodations for what any other text may say.  The clear implication is that the kings visited them in Bethlehem and they straightway went to Egypt.  Does Luke's account agree with this?  Absolutely not, but they aren't writing history.  The religious implications of each story is to be understood by itself.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 7:36 PM

George Somsel:
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.  Perhaps anything is possible.  It is best to simply read what the text states and not attempt to make acommodations for what any other text may say.  The clear implication is that the kings visited them in Bethlehem and they straightway went to Egypt.  Does Luke's account agree with this?  Absolutely not, but they aren't writing history.  The religious implications of each story is to be understood by itself.

Yes, I agree which I said the same as you in a earlier post, did you see it? except below

George Somsel:
The clear implication is that the kings visited them in Bethlehem and they straightway went to Egypt.

No, They went to Jerusalem first.

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it's been found difficult and not tried.

Posts 9944
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 7:41 PM

Bryan S.:

George Somsel:

Yes, I agree which I said the same as you in a earlier post, did you see it? except below

George Somsel:
The clear implication is that the kings visited them in Bethlehem and they straightway went to Egypt.

No, They went to Jerusalem first.

Not according to Matthew.  You are conflating Matthew and Luke and attempting to reconcile them.  It can't be done.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5554
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 7:50 PM

George Somsel:
You are conflating Matthew and Luke and attempting to reconcile them.

Not likely to reconcile George and Bryan either. 

--All in fun Wink

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 9:26 PM

George Somsel:
Not according to Matthew.  You are conflating Matthew and Luke and attempting to reconcile them

They must be reconciled

Just because Matthew didn't say it doesn't mean it didn't happen, fact is it had to happen according to scripture remember Jesus kept all the law, I say again all the Law of which being dedicated in the temple was part of the Law and if that didn't happen he is not Savior for all the law was not kept.

I preach the harmony of the Gospels, not the separate or disunity of them, one complements the other, all God breathed by the Holy Ghost...

Posts 9454
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 9:34 PM

Totally OT,  but I've been stuck on Herod's tomb (BAR Jun 83) where the professor thought he found the tomb, slipped and fell and died, and now his students say not so.  Poor guy!

Anyhow, Bethlehem's right on the road to Herodium (back then).  I'd bet Herod was quite familiar with Bethlehem, since likely he passed through several times during the Matthew/Luke account.  We could ask him.

Posts 25110
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 9:55 PM

Riddle: How many Logosians does it take to move a topic to the correct forum?

Answers: The same indeterminate number of Logosians it takes to continue a topic in an inappropriate forums.

Statements re: reconciliation/non-reconciliation are clearly theological and since we have already had some sharp words in this thread, I'm getting very uncomfortable. And thanks Rich for trying to stamp out hot spots. (Yes, Rich has special knowledge of fire fighting).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2166
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 27 2014 4:39 AM

George Somsel:

Question: In first century middle east would you want to travel with a new baby [40 days old or so] or with a 2 year old?  

Posts 2166
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 27 2014 4:42 AM

MJ. Smith:

Riddle: How many Logosians does it take to move a topic to the correct forum?

When moved please drop a link here so we can find it and continue. [Hopefully with out the need of fire fighting]  Thanks

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 27 2014 6:49 AM

George, aren't we supposed to use scripture to interpret scripture?

Posts 9944
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 27 2014 7:22 AM

Michael:

George, aren't we supposed to use scripture to interpret scripture?

Not in that way.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9944
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 27 2014 7:30 AM

David Ames:

George Somsel:

Question: In first century middle east would you want to travel with a new baby [40 days old or so] or with a 2 year old?  

Want and need are two separate things.  The text doesn't present a picture that the holy family thought they would go on a vacation to Egypt—they were fleeing for safety.  Also, it allowed Matthew to connect them with the tradition of the Exodus ("Out of Egypt …").

george
gfsomsel

Posts 5554
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 27 2014 7:39 AM

Rich DeRuiter:

Technically this is a discussion not directly related to how to use Logos, it's a discussion about something in the Bible itself (for which we can use Logos to research, I admit). It should go to the ChristianDiscourse discussion forum.

But short, non-controversial topics are often tolerated on these forums, especially if they illustrate how to use the software. This discussion does not seem controversial.

Okay, now this discussion is getting off-topic (of the off-topic discussion) and becoming a debate about how to interpret (real or alleged) discrepancies between narrative accounts. Such debates are not welcome by either Logos (according to their policy) or the majority of the users of this forum (in my experience).

Forum Guidelines: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/10072.aspx 

No Theological Debates: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/35165.aspx 

As a fellow user of these forums, I'm asking that those who wish to pursue this further, please take this discussion to ChristianDiscourse.com. 

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 25
Anthony Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2018 10:21 AM

Actually Matthew says they want to eat you up after the magi visited. Luke says that they went to Nazareth after the temple dedication and purification sacrifice. Two different events.

Posts 2916
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2018 10:43 AM

I think it was just a lousy real estate market took forever to sell their house.

Posts 596
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2018 5:37 PM

Whyndell Gizzard:

I think it was just a lousy real estate market took forever to sell their house.

Yes BTDT

Posts 2560
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2018 6:27 PM

I think some threads are best off locked, like abandoned houses.

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS