How Do You Keep A Reading List?

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 162
Dennis Davis | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 24 2014 9:27 AM

OK, so I've been bitten hard by the book buying bug and need to find an antidote (oh wait, I just found one, it's called an empty wallet. Smile

Seriously though, I have just upgraded to platinum plus purchased a number of additional resources and my question is: how do any of you track the upcoming set of books that you would like to read?  For example, one method that I'm trying now is to find a good book such as "Commentary on the NT use of the OT" by Beale & Carson and create a tag called, "Next Read."  I'm hoping this will help me keep track of books that I fancy reading over the coming weeks and once I'm done I can remove the tag.  Not sure if this is the most efficient way to track my books though. 

Another possible thought is to just prioritize these books so they come up on the priority list but again, not sure if that's the best method either.

Thoughts? 

Posts 9357
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 9:39 AM

Dennis, I do a similar thing. I have tagged all of my books that I want to read as follows:

BooksToRead-Apocrypha

BooksToRead-Apologetics

BooksToRead-Apostolic

BooksToRead-BibleStudy

BooksToRead-Biography

BooksToRead-Church

BooksToRead-Discipleship

BooksToRead-Fiction

BooksToRead-History

BooksToRead-Language

BooksToRead-Leadership

BooksToRead-LifeManagement

BooksToRead-Philosophy

BooksToRead-Prayer

BooksToRead-Relationships

BooksToRead-SmallGroup

BooksToRead-Theology

Then I tag books that I am currently reading with "BooksReading". Since I like to read several at the same time. Once I finish a book I tag it "BooksFinished". Every once in a while I go through my BooksReading list to see what I want to read next. I'm really pleased with this system as it works well for me.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 10:34 AM

I do something similar to Bruce, Dennis - I tag any book I want to read "TOREAD". I also tag it with the broad subject area - "Apologetics", "Homiletics", Prim_Src" etc. I've got collections for To Read in each subject area. I also have a tag "next" which I use for any books I want to read in the immediate future. I've also got a "To Read next" collection set up as below. I simply delete the TOREAD tag when I've read the book. 

I've noticed, however, that a new field is being put into the library in the current desktop Beta for reading status that might make a tag for reading status unnecessary.

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 1777
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 10:57 AM

I use the Favorites tool. I have a folder titled "Need to Read".

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 11:12 AM

Dennis,

I've done a similar collection as Greg except that I just drag each new book I have purchased into the collection and then drag it out when I'm done.

Yes But it sure would be nice if there was a built-in way of managing a list that we could check-off as we go.

Merry Christmas everyone and Blessings of God's Grace in the New Year.

Posts 822
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 11:55 AM

What a great question. I relate to it deeply. I do variations of what others have suggested. Additionally, I'll occasionally export the book list and look at it in Excel so I could look at them all at once. Recently, my wife and I independently checked the ones we wanted to read individually and together. I later tagged them.

My problem is not only the size of my library, but the fact that I'm passionately interested in everything. Calculations show that I'll finally catch up with my reading list by the time I'm 969 years old; and only if people quit publishing books.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 3:08 PM

I have started using Goodreads.com to keep a list of books I want to read. 

I also tag books like Bruce mentioned earlier. 

Posts 18914
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 5:20 PM

I use a system of three tags developed by someone on the forums and used by others:

TOREAD - books I want to read in the near future

READING - books I'm in the middle of

FINISHED - books I have already read

Note that you don't want to use READ for either the last of these or it will be a substring of more than one tag.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 6:45 PM

I apparently believe in the leading of the Holy Spirit since I read whatever happens to attract my interest at a particular time.  Generally I read more than one book at a time (perhaps 6) which I remember.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 162
Dennis Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 25 2014 12:13 PM

Thanks everyone for the great tips.  Bruce and Greg I particularly like your ideas and will be trying them out in the coming days.

Merry Christmas to all and to all good reading!

Posts 9357
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 25 2014 1:58 PM

Dennis Davis:

Thanks everyone for the great tips.  Bruce and Greg I particularly like your ideas and will be trying them out in the coming days.

Merry Christmas to all and to all good reading!

Glad to be of some help. Let us know how it goes.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 4077
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 25 2014 3:39 PM

GregW:
I've noticed, however, that a new field is being put into the library in the current desktop Beta for reading status that might make a tag for reading status unnecessary.

I'm looking forward to this feature; I just decided not to implement a to-read tagging scheme.

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 25 2014 9:33 PM

Great tips. I was just asking myself this same question yesterday. Now that I've got all these books, I want to READ many of them in full.

Author of the Chronological Word Truth Life Bible Series

WordTruthLifeBible.com

Posts 18914
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 9:06 AM

SineNomine:

GregW:

I'm looking forward to this feature; I just decided not to implement a to-read tagging scheme.

I'm looking forward to this feature but I'm going to remain skeptical about whether it will be useful until I've tried it out. One thing I'm concerned about is whether it can tell the difference between me scrolling quickly through a brand new resource just to see what's in it so that I can tag it effectively as to topic, vs. scrolling through it slowly and actually reading it. I wouldn't want Logos to mark it complete or partially complete if I've only done the former. I'd have to dwell on each page for at least 20 seconds before I'd want it to consider that I've read that far. We should be able to set the number of seconds based on our reading speed.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 12:15 PM

Rosie Perera:

SineNomine:

GregW:

I'm looking forward to this feature but I'm going to remain skeptical about whether it will be useful until I've tried it out. One thing I'm concerned about is whether it can tell the difference between me scrolling quickly through a brand new resource just to see what's in it so that I can tag it effectively as to topic, vs. scrolling through it slowly and actually reading it. I wouldn't want Logos to mark it complete or partially complete if I've only done the former. I'd have to dwell on each page for at least 20 seconds before I'd want it to consider that I've read that far. We should be able to set the number of seconds based on our reading speed.

10 minutes ?  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4077
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 1:36 PM

Rosie Perera:
We should be able to set the number of seconds based on our reading speed.

We should also be able to manually alter the reading/read status of our books, e.g., to show progress made in reading a dead tree edition of a book in our libraries.

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 27 2014 5:55 AM

Dennis Davis:

OK, so I've been bitten hard by the book buying bug and need to find an antidote (oh wait, I just found one, it's called an empty wallet. Smile

Seriously though, I have just upgraded to platinum plus purchased a number of additional resources and my question is: how do any of you track the upcoming set of books that you would like to read?  For example, one method that I'm trying now is to find a good book such as "Commentary on the NT use of the OT" by Beale & Carson and create a tag called, "Next Read."  I'm hoping this will help me keep track of books that I fancy reading over the coming weeks and once I'm done I can remove the tag.  Not sure if this is the most efficient way to track my books though. 

Another possible thought is to just prioritize these books so they come up on the priority list but again, not sure if that's the best method either.

Thoughts? 

I organize my annual reading list in a similar way to what others have explained above, but in a slightly different fashion.

First, near the first of the year, I select the books I would like to attempt to read during the next year. I tag these with "ReadingList.2015".

Second, I mark the books I am reading, would like to read, have stopped reading, etc. with one of the following tags:

• Status.Reading
  • Status.Read
  • Status.To-Read
  • Status.Back-Burner - (This is the list of books that I am still interested in finishing, but have put aside for a period of time)
  • Status.Lost-Interest - (This is the list of books that I am no longer reading. Usually books that make this list are books that I don't think are worth finishing.)

Third, I have assembled 7+ collections to help me sort my library:

• ReadingList [mytag:ReadingList]  - (Contains all my yearly reading lists)
  • ReadingList.2014; ReadingList.2015; etc. [mytag:ReadingList.2014; mytag:ReadingList.2015; etc.]
  • Status.Reading [mytag:Status.Reading]
  • Status.Read [mytag: Status.Read]
  • Status.To-Read [mytag: Status.To-Read]
  • Status.Back-Burner [mytag: Status.Back-Burner]
  • Status.Lost-Interest [mytag: Status.Lost-Interest]

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS