Looking at a New Tablet...seeing out Logos 6 runs

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 80
Daniel R Bartholomew | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 29 2014 10:32 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering a new, cheap tablet--either an Android device (yes, I know it will only run the Android App not Logos 6.0) or a Windows Tablet, like an HP Stream 7 (that runs the full version of Windows 8.1, and thus can run Logos 6.0).

Does anyone have experience with something like this in running Logos 6.0?  I'm currently running it on a Microsoft Surface Pro (Pro 1, not 2 or 3), 4 GB RAM, i5 processor...how might a cheaper tablet run it?  (The Surface runs great, but battery life is not that great, and it's a bit expensive to casually take anywhere to read...I'm looking for something cheaper that wouldn't set me back terribly if I lost or broke it.)

Daniel

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 10:41 AM

I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro. It runs the full desktop software just fine.  It has a 64GB drive, which handles logos and Microsoft Office. I would not recommend a lot more on it. It has an Atom processor and 2 GB ram. Asus makes a comparable machine. I got mine on the Dell outlet site for $200. (Refurb) The battery life is excellent, and it runs cool as a cucumber without the need of a fan.

It included Microsoft office home and student. A great perk if you use OneNote. I test drove Logos 6 and had 3400 resources loaded on it. I chose to revert to Logos 5 on all my machines. ...but there was no problem running 6 on it. I simply couldn't justify the upgrade for my use.

Here's one for $185 but does not include office. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Venue-8-Pro-8-64GB-Windows-8-1-WiFi-Bluetooth-HD-Touch-Screen-Tablet-/131368545192?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item1e962ceba8 

Posts 603
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 10:53 AM

Daniel,

I'm one of the Asus tablet users to whom Paul C. refers.

So much has been posted comparing the limited functionality of the Logos mobile apps with Logos 5 and 6 that I am reporting my very great satisfaction with Logos 6 on an 8 inch tablet with 64 GB running the 32 bit version of Windows 8.1. True, one has to make sure one's library is not too large. When I get impatient the machine hangs ("Not Responding") for a bit, and I have managed to crash it a time or two in the first couple of weeks.

Rather than advertise I point you to PC Magazine's lineup of what they consider "The Ten Best Windows Tablets" here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417564,00.asp 

On previous threads folks have reported their satisfaction with the Asus Vivo Tab Note 8, the Dell Venue 8 Pro, and, of course, the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (too rich for my blood).

It is pure bliss to have the full functionality for language work while waiting for my wife at fabric stores and knit shops or when traveling.

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 11:13 AM

Steve Maling:
When I get impatient the machine hangs ("Not Responding") for a bit, and I have managed to crash it a time or two in the first couple of weeks.
Hi, Steve. I,too, had issues at first. but I realized it was me causing the problems. It was the way I was tapping the screen. tap= click...tap and hold=right click ...double tap=drag or highlight. I found I was sometimes not clicking quickly enough...making the little guy think I was right clicking. A shaky click could be interpreted as a double click. You get the picture. It's important to be precise with our commands. As I have learned to better convey my commands, I have virtually no hiccups Glad you are still enjoying your machine. God Bless.

Posts 25031
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 11:50 AM

Daniel R Bartholomew:
or a Windows Tablet, like an HP Stream 7 (that runs the full version of Windows 8.1, and thus can run Logos 6.0).

Not that model as 1 GB memory is insufficient. Get one with 2 GB memory for 32-bit Windows.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 80
Daniel R Bartholomew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 11:57 AM

Dave Hooton:

Daniel R Bartholomew:
or a Windows Tablet, like an HP Stream 7 (that runs the full version of Windows 8.1, and thus can run Logos 6.0).

Not that model as 1 GB memory is insufficient. Get one with 2 GB memory for 32-bit Windows.

Since the 2 GB models tend to be more expensive and I plan to use this mainly for a reader (and hopefully can highlight and take notes), would an Android that runs just the app be the better choice?

Daniel

Posts 603
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 12:03 PM

Thank you, Paul! I'll try to control my digits more preciselySmile

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 12:05 PM

Daniel R Bartholomew:
Since the 2 GB models tend to be more expensive and I plan to use this mainly for a reader (and hopefully can highlight and take notes), would an Android that runs just the app be the better choice?

If you can be content tetherd to a hot spot. I can not. Can you get an android device for a lot less than $185?

Posts 80
Daniel R Bartholomew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 12:07 PM

Paul C:

Daniel R Bartholomew:

If you can be content tetheerd to a hot spot. I can not. Can you get an android device for a lot less than $185?

On the hotspot: I could use my iPhone as a mobile hotspot in case I get into a dead area.

And as for an Android price--there are some under $60, though typically more than that...you can get a pretty good device for less than $185 (if I can believe the reviews.)

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 12:11 PM

Do what you are comfortable with. God Bless.

Posts 25031
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 12:15 PM

Daniel R Bartholomew:

Yes. The Android Vyrso app is mainly a reader but takes Notes and highlights. The Bible/Logos app has more features - see https://community.logos.com/forums/t/97572.aspx

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1852
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 6:55 PM

Paul C:

If you can be content tetherd to a hot spot. I can not. Can you get an android device for a lot less than $185?

I got the free Android tablet that US Cellular is offering for free if you connect it to your plan for $10 per month ($240 over life of the contract). It connects over wifi If available and Cellular 4G if I am mobile. Faithlife app works GREAT. 7" size is perfect for reading.

[full disclosure: I work for a US Cellular authorized reseller]

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 7:28 PM

Different strokes for different folks. I do not have cell phone service. A combination of land line and free internet calls or texting via the tablet when in range of a hot spot fills my needs. It feels liberating to have my library and full desktop capability with me by a babbling brook totally detached from the grid. I paid $200 cash for my tablet. Just the additional charge you describe would pay for it and $40 worth of hamburgers at the hot spots. Stick out tongue I know I am a dinosaur/redneck. But I have devised a system that works for me. I am certainly not offended that it doesn't work for everyone. God Bless. 

Oh by the way, The town where i live provides free WiFi that covers 80% + of the downtown area.

Posts 56
Fred Robbins | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 30 2014 6:44 PM

I have a Samung Galaxie 10 (Android) and it runs Logos fine. It has 32 gig memory.

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 31 2014 3:43 AM

I just got the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet (16GB with a 64GB SD installed), it runs the Logos Android App really well, is well built and does everything that I need from a Tablet. I have a case with a Blue Tooth keyboard so I can take notes using EverNote shared with my old Notebook PC.I only download resources that I want/need to the tablet.

My son introduced me to Google Remote Desktop this week and I have started playing with this as a way to access the features of Logos that are not in the Android App when I need them. For me this looks like it may negate the use for a powerful Notebook PC to run Logos and I may revert to a desktop if the experiment works.

Seems to me that with the tools that Logos provide, and using the available technology, there are lots of different ways to build an 'ideal' solution.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS