Bible Word Study Tool Question

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
David Kovaleski | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 14 2015 6:09 PM

Hi,

Is it possible to use the BIble Word Study tool under the Guide section to search for a phrase like "labor and work?"

Posts 26262
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 6:18 PM

welcome to the forums. The BWS works on a single lemma. For phrases you might see if the Topic Guide is helpful.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 15 2015 1:26 AM

David Kovaleski:

Hi,

Is it possible to use the BIble Word Study tool under the Guide section to search for a phrase like "labor and work?"

Your best bet here might be to search using the Louw-Nida search. This uses semantic domains, so you could try something like the search below: 

If you have Louw-Nida (which you probably have if you've bought a base package), open it and navigate to section 42.40, and you can see what other senses you want to include. The other option, of course, is to do a Bible search, with the term "work OR labor". The Louw-Nida search will bring up all references in the underlying Greek, including those where the word hasn't been translated "work" or "labor". 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 15 2015 1:36 AM

Sorry - I should have made it clear that I assumed you were looking for references to labor or work in the Bible text. If you're looking for information about work in Bible times, MJ's suggestion is a better one. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS