Missing info in Factbook?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 18 2015 10:04 AM

Hey folks. I'm sure there is some limitation on my understanding of this... But I searched on 1st Samuel in the Factbook. Looking towards the Background section, why doesn't it show any of my background commentaries on 1 Samuel? An example would be my Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary.

Thanks for any help.

Tom

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle
**If we will do God's work, in God's way, at God's time, with God's power, we shall have God's blessings!!**

Posts 29096
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 11:09 AM

This is a curated dataset From the reading list "Logos/Verbum dataset and visualization information" see Logos 5, Behind the Curtain: Curation | Sean Boisen

This basically means that Faithlife codes particular resources to fall into particular sections. I would expect the number of resources that are coded will expand over time. I suspect that Faithlife used a combination of the quality of the resource and the number of people owning the resource to determine which resources to begin with.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 3:47 PM

Thanks, MJ. So, and sorry for being dense here, does that mean the factbook isn't pulling from the entirety of my library currently?

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle
**If we will do God's work, in God's way, at God's time, with God's power, we shall have God's blessings!!**

Posts 25736
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 4:10 PM

Yes. It also pulls from books you don't have!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 4:48 PM

Dave Hooton:

Yes. It also pulls from books you don't have!

That's really helpful </sarcasm>

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle

Posts 29096
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 4:51 PM

It is helpful in the same way that the bibliography at the end of an encyclopedia article is helpful </no sarcasm>

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 4:55 PM

MJ. Smith:

It is helpful in the same way that the bibliography at the end of an encyclopedia article is helpful </no sarcasm>

I get that. However, it really needs to pull from my Library to be useful. At least the 'bibliography at the end of an encyclopedia article' means you have the encyclopedia. Pointing me to more resources to buy while not even utilizing what I've already bought is a little frustrating. However, if they are expanding the tool to eventually cover all of that, I get that too and am willing to be patient.

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle

Posts 29096
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 5:00 PM

Tom Castle:

it really needs to pull from my Library to be useful. At least the 'bibliography at the end of an encyclopedia article' means you have the encyclopedia.

So that users with small libraries get no results? The Guides and the Search draw from your library - blindly without curating. If you want it drawn from your library, the Topic Guide is the correct tool.

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 5:02 PM

Is there a list of which of the L6 datasets are curated and which utilize your existing Library?

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 5:31 PM

MJ. Smith:

So that users with small libraries get no results? 

Why would users with small libraries get NO results if the tool used the content of their current library? Also, I'm not saying it shouldn't show items that are NOT in your library. But I think it should definitely show items that ARE in your library.

I said in my original post that this was likely a misunderstanding of mine on how the tool works. That hasn't changed. 

Further, this link indicates that the contents of the Factbook are 'dynamically' generated and "the results will vary based on my unique library." So I'm still having trouble understanding the 'curation' thing.

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 5:38 PM

From the Logos blog on the factbook, I find this statement, "The bigger your library, the more content you have available to enrich these guide pages as you start your study."

So I hope you can understand I'm not just being dumb here (at least I'm trying not to be). I've posted at least two places from Logos where the intimation exists that your Library impacts the factbook.

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle

Posts 29096
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 6:35 PM

All datasets are sort-of curated by definition. The tools that I know are curated include: Factbook, Ancient Literature, Catholic Topical Index. I doubt there is a specific list but the description of curated tools and sections usually state that they are curated at least when they are first released.

Posts 29096
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 6:51 PM

Tom Castle:

From the Logos blog on the factbook, I find this statement, "The bigger your library, the more content you have available to enrich these guide pages as you start your study."

So I hope you can understand I'm not just being dumb here (at least I'm trying not to be). I've posted at least two places from Logos where the intimation exists that your Library impacts the factbook.

The Guides are very dependent upon the resources in your library ... a few sections are not or are dependent on whether you do/don't have a particular resource or dataset. For the Factbook I don't know precisely which sections for what kind of entry may depend on your library. It looks to me as if the Outline section of the Overview of the Bible book is likely dependent on my library. I would suspect that everything in the See also section for a person, place or thing, cultural concepts and timelines are dependent on owning the requisite datasets. I've put work into knowing precisely what goes into most sections of the Passage Guide. I've not done the same for Factbook. And I don't know how much Logos intends to expand the coverage. As we have the Topic Guide as an alternative, I've had no reason to ask. I suspect that usage statistics will play a role in Faithlife's decisions.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS