Fan of hymns? Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Friends, Baptist, Presbyterian, Episcopal, Congregational, SDA,

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 26282
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 23 2015 9:37 PM

https://www.logos.com/product/47634/classic-hymnal-and-songbook-collection 

This is fairly new on CP and ought to get out quickly given the broad appeal re: denominations ... so let's see a push towards production.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 787
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 24 2015 8:41 AM

Nice thanks for mentioning it. Hope it gets into prepub quick.

God Bless you always forever!

James

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 24 2015 11:12 AM

Yes

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 24 2015 5:46 PM

I've placed my bid.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 128
Russel Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 29 2015 11:34 AM

Thanks for pointing this out, MJ.  I love hymns!

Posts 1830
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 29 2015 12:30 PM

I have my bid in.

Posts 783
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 29 2015 5:10 PM

I'd like to know more about how the music notation will look, and how many of those hymns actually have notation.

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 29 2015 5:12 PM

They're missing Mennonite hymns, but I'm a hymnal collector in RL, so of course I'm in on this.

Posts 783
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 31 2015 3:37 PM

What would be cool is if these were supplied with MIDI files, too. I don't see that it's mentioned, though. However, there are several programs that can convert; I wonder if any of them can run in batch mode.

Posts 2289
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2019 9:23 AM

This is closing Friday this week. Current price at $25. The $21 mark is looking very achievable. Even $17 is not entirely out of reach, but that might be wishful thinking...

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 783
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2019 9:30 AM

Nobody knows about the musical notation piece of these as Logos resources? Are we bidding only on collections of hymn words?

Posts 1825
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2019 10:22 AM

Lew Worthington:
Nobody knows about the musical notation piece of these as Logos resources?

The product information page seems to indicate that this resource is being handled differently than earlier hymnbook resources.

in the past the resource only had lyrics and midi files

Product description for this resource includes NOTATION, but no mention of MIDI

Sample pages of the individual resources in the collection reveals these are scans of old pages.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 783
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2019 10:59 AM

Thanks, David. I think you're right. I'll assume for now that the notation will be a graphic. But it doesn't matter; I've upped my bid to be included and if it doesn't meet expectations, then FL has a gracious return policy!

Posts 10120
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2019 2:37 PM

Jan Krohn:

This is closing Friday this week. Current price at $25. The $21 mark is looking very achievable. Even $17 is not entirely out of reach, but that might be wishful thinking...

Thank you, Jan. And MJ for the earlier notice.

The volume Zion's Hymns, a Watts follow-up, caught my eye (vs the Hymns of Zion), and so I ended up checking in the older Dictionary of Hymnology. If interested, 2 pdfs, etc:

https://archive.org/details/imslp-dictionary-of-hymnology-julian-john (scroll down, for download choices)

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2019 3:12 PM

Denise:

I ended up checking in the older Dictionary of Hymnology. If interested, 2 pdfs, etc:

https://archive.org/details/imslp-dictionary-of-hymnology-julian-john (scroll down, for download choices)

I have the Dictionary of Hymnology in print. Ordered it used after taking a class on hymnology and finding it mentioned as the classic reference guide to hymns. It's great, though obviously very dated (it's from 1907). But I later bought it in Logos format when I saw it was available.

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2019 3:35 PM

Rosie Perera:
I have the Dictionary of Hymnology in print. Ordered it used after taking a class on hymnology and finding it mentioned as the classic reference guide to hymns. It's great, though obviously very dated (it's from 1907). But I later bought it in Logos format when I saw it was available.

I forgot that I had this in Logos too. It will be interesting using it with these new resources.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2394
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2019 4:24 PM

Only four years but going for half my bid price.  

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2019 9:56 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Rosie Perera:

I forgot that I had this in Logos too. It will be interesting using it with these new resources.

I hope it gets retagged to link to the music for hymns mentioned in it.

I am a mega hymn nerd. I am guessing there aren't a whole lot of churches that still sing hymns or people who study them, but it would be an area I'd love to see Faithlife expand into more, though I am guessing there wouldn't be any money in it so they probably won't/shouldn't. My go-to resources are the Cyber Hymnal and hymnary.org.

Another resource that Faithlife should consider getting is The Canterbury Dictionary of Hymnology which is "the public launch of the ‘impossible task’ – the replacement for the Dictionary of Hymnology produced by John Julian in 1892, with a supplement in 1907." It's a subscription-based resource, though, at £25/yr. So I'm not sure how they'd be able to pull that off.

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2019 5:30 AM

Rosie Perera:
I am a mega hymn nerd.

I've never heard anyone describe themselves that way. Smile

Posts 1830
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2019 5:36 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Rosie Perera:
I am a mega hymn nerd.

I've never heard anyone describe themselves that way. Smile

I often describe myself as "a hymn guy" lost in a Praise and Worship World.

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS