Is the 'search' on the home page more powerful or is it just me?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 164
Dennis Davis | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 28 2015 1:12 PM

This morning, I started my prep for my weekly bible study and, as happens very often, I got caught up reading the articles and exerpts on the home page.  Now, in terms of study, I have never used the search field on the home page but go to one of my layouts.  However, today I just typed in "renew" on the home page search and it opened up a complete layout tailored to my search! Now, I'm sure this is small potatoes for many of you but for me it was huge! I had topic study, word study, sermon starter, dictionaries, etc. all geared to my topic.  So, my question: is the search on the home page different and/or more powerful than regular searching (using the search icon) or have I been somehow searching incorrectly all this time? 

Posts 24535
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 28 2015 1:20 PM

Hi Dennis

the "search" on the home page is doing something different to the search icon.

it basically invokes a Guide (Passage / Topic and maybe others) into a specifically tailored layout.

See the different results you get when entering a passage and entering a topic

Graham

Posts 19191
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 28 2015 1:22 PM

Yeah, it's always been this way since Logos 4. It's a shorthand for setting up a Layout specifically tailored for your study. I don't tend to use it, because I prefer to do my own thing, but it can be very powerful and simple for people to use. As far as I know, though, you still cannot customize what Layout it opens up, though that has been requested. You can customize the passage guide tab of it, though (by making a custom guide template called My Passage Guide).

Posts 164
Dennis Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 29 2015 7:59 AM

Thanks Graham and Rosie.  I do see the limitations of using this function (not being able to customize the layout) but I agree that for some quick searches, this is a pretty cool feature. 

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 29 2015 10:57 AM

Dennis Davis:

Thanks Graham and Rosie.  I do see the limitations of using this function (not being able to customize the layout) but I agree that for some quick searches, this is a pretty cool feature. 

I agree.  Thanks for pointing it out.  I'd not spotted it and I like it as a way for opening up a particular text very quickly.

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 30 2015 3:01 AM

It's pretty cool. I was introduced to it in Morris' Camp Logos seminar a couple of weeks ago. Seems like it's a new feature, as I don't remember the search being quite like that before.

Author of the Chronological Word Truth Life Bible Series

WordTruthLifeBible.com

Posts 31943
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 30 2015 5:43 PM

Yup, new as of L4 Wink I haven't noticed what changes, if any, have been made since. This illustrates how Logos' attempt to make itself very usable from the home page doesn't always gain traction - at least in the forums.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS