Who Are Your Favorite Posters?

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 270
KJ Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 1 2015 6:37 PM

Unix never ceases to humour me with his purposeless diatribes and tirades on all sorts of random topics.

Posts 2286
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 1 2015 7:54 PM

Kelvin Niblett:

Unix never ceases to humour me with his purposeless diatribes and tirades on all sorts of random topics.

I have actually been worried about Unix lately.  He has not been around in quite a while.  It always makes me worry when he disappears for lengths of time, considering how lonely he sometimes seems.  I did see that he posted a review in January though.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1676
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 1 2015 9:53 PM

mab:
 When I consider how great a team we have here, I don't think I would be one to pick or choose.I love to come here for learning how I can improve my use of Logos. 

I also think they function as a team, this team is more than the sum of the individuals.

Also the rest of us are part of the team when generating all the stupid questions, and they give kind advice

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 33277
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 1 2015 10:02 PM

Joseph Turner:

Kelvin Niblett:

I have actually been worried about Unix lately.  He has not been around in quite a while.  It always makes me worry when he disappears for lengths of time, considering how lonely he sometimes seems.  I did see that he posted a review in January though.

I believe that Unix (and aliases) disappears when he is in classes. If someone knows the Swedish term dates we can estimate when he will return.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 56
Paul Knopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 1 2015 10:13 PM

I've enjoyed being a part of the forums for a while and find that if MJ Smith or Dan Francis post in a forum, I usually read it.  That's a lot of posts, but I value what they contribute.

Posts 2896
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 1 2015 10:25 PM

I would have to agree with the many who mentioned  Rosie Perera, MJ Smith, and Mark Barnes, who are Logos superstars.  I also greatly appreciate Alabama, who is always willing to be helpful, Denise, who for some reason makes me smile, Bruce Dunning, who is such a kind gentleman,

And I like George, too.

In other words, the usual suspects.  I read them first.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1506
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 5:08 AM

mab:

When I consider how great a team we have here, I don't think I would be one to pick or choose.

+1 Yes

I find it very hard to choose, but I want to add one more name: NB.Mick. I've found his posts very helpful.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 8:10 AM

All mentioned here have been very helpful to me.  Grateful for their patience especially when I don't know how to phrase a question.

Posts 8352
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 9:17 AM

Rayner:

DAL:

Chicks

Seriously!?!

Yes, seriously...and sorry I didn't include you, but you don't post as much. ;-)

DAL

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 10:22 AM

DAL:

Rayner:

DAL:

Chicks

Seriously!?!

Yes, seriously...and sorry I didn't include you, but you don't post as much. ;-)

Could I respectfully ask that you refrain from calling women "chicks", unless you're to use the matching epithet for men?

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 10:58 AM

Rayner - as I recall DAL is a native Spanish speaker - in Spanish I don't think "chick" has the same negativity that you seem to associate with the label. IIRC (and Spanish class was some time ago so correct me if I'm wrong DAL) Chick in Spanish is akin to saying "female" (and depending on the ending either young, or mature female) in English.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 10:58 AM

Most people who post are gracious; I enjoy them all.  It would be easier to name the posters I do not care for:  those who bait others; those who assume the role of forum police; and those who cannot let a thread go by hardly without posting in it.  ;)

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 1:08 PM

abondservant:

Chick in Spanish is akin to saying "female" (and depending on the ending either young, or mature female) in English.

I suppose I always thought it meant the same thing in English, hence the Dixie Chicks. Live and learn. Hmm

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 1:42 PM

Scott E. Mahle:
hence the Dixie Chicks.
I never thought I'd be reading about the Dixie Chicks on the Logos forums. Wink

Posts 8352
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 2:05 PM

abondservant:

Rayner - as I recall DAL is a native Spanish speaker - in Spanish I don't think "chick" has the same negativity that you seem to associate with the label. IIRC (and Spanish class was some time ago so correct me if I'm wrong DAL) Chick in Spanish is akin to saying "female" (and depending on the ending either young, or mature female) in English.

You are correct. In fact, I didn't even know it had a negative meaning in English, since I've never even heard it in a negative way in English. What's the "epithet" for men (and I'm being serious here). Now, chicks to me is like saying "las chicas" (pretty girls or girls in general regardless of age). Oh, and what's exactly so negative about chicks? I just read in the dictionary that it's "offensive" to some, but it doesn't say why; so, please, enlighten me.

DAL

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 2:08 PM

Kevin Maples:

I never thought I'd be reading about . . .

LOL! I find myself saying that quite frequently when I visit lately  Indifferent

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 1110
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 2:26 PM

DAL:

Oh, and what's exactly so negative about chicks? I just read in the dictionary that it's "offensive" to some, but it doesn't say why; so, please, enlighten me.

I believe some consider it to be a bit slighting, as if you were calling an adult woman a "girl," thereby minimizing their competence and independence.

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 2:50 PM

DAL:
In fact, I didn't even know it had a negative meaning in English, since I've never even heard it in a negative way in English. What's the "epithet" for men (and I'm being serious here). Now, chicks to me is like saying "las chicas" (pretty girls or girls in general regardless of age).

Ok, I understand that it maybe does not have the same meaning for you, hence my respectful request.  In the UK, there's no way that using the word "chick" to describe women would be considered acceptable when placed alongside the word "men".  Some people would use the word "women" were they referring to female humans.  Others prefer "ladies" (and its counterpart "gentlemen").  "Chicks" has a slightly derogatory implication, which would draw focus to a women's age/attractiveness as opposed to her intellectual abilities, and it's definitely slang.  It might be a bit like using the word "stud" instead of "man", but that's not entirely equivalent.

The following dictionaries all imply that it can be offensive to women:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/chick

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/chick

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chick?s=t

http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/chick

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 3:05 PM

DAL, I must complement you.  First, I had not made the connection to spanish.  And that's living in El Paso for a while. I should have remembered. Second, I'm used to being associated with various farm animals on this forum (e.g. donkeys, etc).  So, some extra chickens is no great weight on my farming shoulders.

But more seriously, I'm impressed with your frankness.  I, myself, do not mind 'chicks' and indeed like the Dixie Chicks.  But it does come in a lengthy tradition of put-downs for various groups in our society.  Rayner is correct.

Now, back to my farming.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 998
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 3:27 PM

Denise:
DAL, I must complement you

Well that made me laugh - although you may indeed complement DAL, I suspect what you really meant to do was compliment him! Smile

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS