How Can I?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 21
Rick Koelz | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 1 2015 7:44 PM

I purchased the book Meet the Bible: A Panorama of God’s Word in 366 Daily Readings through Vyrso. The scripture references for each day are in the header and do not get indexed. That means, if I'm doing research on Genesis 1 a search doesn't find the "reading/article" on Genesis 1. Is there a way I can highlight/link/tag each reading so it will be found by a Passage Guide search? 

Posts 27430
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 1 2015 7:48 PM

"Vyrso edition" resources are "bare bones" books which are auto converted from the publisher epub files. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 26105
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 1 2015 7:58 PM

Rick Koelz:

I purchased the book Meet the Bible: A Panorama of God’s Word in 366 Daily Readings through Vyrso. The scripture references for each day are in the header and do not get indexed. That means, if I'm doing research on Genesis 1 a search doesn't find the "reading/article" on Genesis 1. Is there a way I can highlight/link/tag each reading so it will be found by a Passage Guide search? 

What kind of search are you doing  for example you might try as basic search with the search argument

<Gen 1> OR "Gen 1" OR "Genesis 1"

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 1 2015 10:12 PM

Rick, I can confirm that a PG does not pick up the Gen 1:1-Gen 2:3 passage in this resource, though it does pick up other passages I tried (simply a coincidence that it does, though, because the devotional text happened to also mention a verse or two within the passage range covered).

It is true that this is a Vyrso book, which as Alabama pointed out is not given any tagging in the automated conversion process other than mentions of Scripture within the text. I'm kind of surprised to learn that the mentions of Scripture that are in heading paragraphs do not get this automatic tagging. Perhaps it's because if you hover over any section header, you see that it turns out to be a link to the Table of Contents.

I don't know if that is standard behavior for all Vyrso books. But the result, as you've discovered, seems to be that Passage Guides will not pick up those sections.

A basic search for <Gen 1> doesn't work in this case (see where the title "Meet the Bible" should show up, marked by a red line).

Adding OR "Gen 1" OR "Genesis 1" (as MJ suggested) would find it in this case, but that isn't really what you want. You want to be able to find mentions of a given passage even if they fall within a larger range, and you want this stuff to show up in your Passage Guides, which I agree it should be possible to do.

So, on to the rest of your original question: "Is there a way I can highlight/link/tag each reading so it will be found by a Passage Guide search?"

I've tried to figure out a way that you can use the new Label feature to make a section of this book show up in a PG, but I'm not quite there yet. Maybe it's possible and I just haven't figured it out. This is as close as I came:

Create a highlighting style with Label properties as follows:

Select the Scripture reference in a chapter heading and apply that highlighting style to it, filling in the Scripture reference for Value (to make it easier, I copied the text I'd selected first before hitting my highlighting shortcut to bring up the Label dialog, then I just pasted it into the Value field):

Repeat this for each chapter heading. (A ton of work, not sure it's worth it in the end.)

Now you can do a Label search for any Bible reference that intersects with that of the chapter and Logos will find it:

But this won't integrate into the Passage Guide search mechanism, and that's where I'm stuck. Creating this user-defined label "BibleRef" makes those searchable by you when you specify that that's what you're searching for. But you'd have to do this special kind of search. I don't know of any way to make a PG do a customized search for you.

Can someone else take it from here and get closer to what Rick would like to be able to do?

Posts 21
Rick Koelz | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 8:39 AM

Thanks, Rosie. You totally understand what I want to do. And thanks for trying to figure out a way... that confirms my frustrating conclusions.

I think I may contact Vyrso and ask for a refund and then purchase the Kindle version and convert that to a PB which will allow the Bible reference links to be created.

Thanks again for your wonderful reply.
Rick

Posts 9910
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 9:32 AM

Off topic:

Rick Koelz:
I think I may contact Vyrso and ask for a refund and then purchase the Kindle version and convert that to a PB which will allow the Bible reference links to be created.

You may as well convert a Vyrso book to a PB via the Print/Export feature, no need to give back the Vyrso book

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS