SUGGESTION: Pre-pubs waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 32168
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 5 2015 5:01 PM

I currently have 1 book pre-ordered in 2012, 7 books pre-ordered in 2013 and a slew ordered in 2014. The 2012 I know the status of, one of the 2013 now has a ship date. But it occurred to me I may be getting frustrated at the wrong resources ... to tell how long I've waited, I really need to know when it went into development rather than when I bid. Any chance of getting that on the product page or order page?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 161
David Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 8:48 PM

I agree, customers would appreciate being more adequately informed to what's actually happening with resources.

Posts 1631
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 11:11 PM

I have 2 books pre-ordered in 2012, and the status is "under development", but that does not actually say much.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 6 2015 10:56 AM

Veli Voipio:

I have 2 books pre-ordered in 2012, and the status is "under development", but that does not actually say much.

That's just it. thankfully for my earliest 2013 book the The Apocrypha: The Lutheran Edition with Notes Gabe kindly told us in the forums it is actively being worked on now after delays. Word Biblical Commentary, Volume 18B: Job 38–42 one would hope would be the same since it was removed from our orders and then a few months later reinstated (but this is speculation). It would be most useful to have a third selection In Development for works that are currently being worked on. This would not only give a better indication of possible progress, we still would not know how long it will take to do it but at least we would have some idea. My other 2012 book The Epistle to the Hebrews (2 vols.) I understand is a special case that may take a while since it is a translation and while French to English is not usually considered a difficult thing I am quite sure they will run into many decisions on do we go literal or functional equivalent.

-Dan

Posts 1899
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 6 2015 12:08 PM

It would be nice to have more descriptive labels like:

"Under Development (xx% complete)"

"Under Development (Delayed-Publisher)"

"Under Development (Delayed-Technical Issues)" [I'm thinking of the Hebrew Pronunciations]

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 6 2015 12:11 PM

Integ:

"Under Development (Delayed-Technical Issues)" [I'm thinking of the Hebrew Pronunciations]

"Under Development (Holiday schedule)  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 6 2015 12:31 PM

George Somsel:

Integ:

"Under Development (Holiday schedule)  Big Smile

"Under Development (Delayed-Maternity/Paternity leave)"
"Under Development (Delayed-Got distracted by new shinier project)"
"Under Development (Delayed-Employee found new job)"
"Under Development (Delayed-Coffee machine broke)"

Posts 579
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 11:35 PM

I also would like to see more detail on books that I pre-ordered a while ago (two I pre-ordered in 2011, but are still "Gathering Interest"). It would be nice to know how many more people would be necessary for a book to go into production. So, for the books that are "Gathering Interest" it would be nice to know either how many more people are needed to pre-order the book before it will go into production, or what percentage of the cost is left to be covered, or both. Also, when it comes to books that are "Under contract", it would be nice to know what exactly that means. What the next step. If books are put in a priority queue for development, it might be nice to know where it is or how many other books are before it so we don't wonder what is taking so long for a Logos book to be developed. For example, I pre-ordered the DCH (Dictionary of Classical Hebrew), and I would like to know the status of that resource. Where is it in production or development? What is left to finish it in Logos format? I am glad that it has taken a while because I now have stable income (which I did not have even three months ago) so I did not have to delete my pre-order (which I have been forced to do with other resources because they came out too fast for me to save up money to buy them). However, I still would like to know more detail of the status of the DCH, as well as the other resources I have pre-ordered.

Posts 3697
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 9:29 AM

Thanks Dan. I had forgotten about The Apocrypha resource. I just pre-ordered it.

So now, my wait time is approximately 2 minutes. Not sure what the fuse is Big Smile

Dan Francis:

Veli Voipio:

That's just it. thankfully for my earliest 2013 book the The Apocrypha: The Lutheran Edition with Notes Gabe kindly told us in the forums it is actively being worked on now after delays. Word Biblical Commentary, Volume 18B: Job 38–42 one would hope would be the same since it was removed from our orders and then a few months later reinstated (but this is speculation). It would be most useful to have a third selection In Development for works that are currently being worked on. This would not only give a better indication of possible progress, we still would not know how long it will take to do it but at least we would have some idea. My other 2012 book The Epistle to the Hebrews (2 vols.) I understand is a special case that may take a while since it is a translation and while French to English is not usually considered a difficult thing I am quite sure they will run into many decisions on do we go literal or functional equivalent.

-Dan

mm.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 9:44 AM

Caleb S.:
It would be nice to know how many more people would be necessary for a book to go into production.

I doubt Logos will ever give these figures, because that would allow people to work out how much resources cost to produce, which they'll want to keep confidential.

Caleb S.:
or what percentage of the cost is left to be covered

Surely that's what the length of the red/orange bar indicates, isn't it?

Caleb S.:
Also, when it comes to books that are "Under contract", it would be nice to know what exactly that means.

It means it's being built. A lot of this work is contracted out nowadays, so it scales well, and I don't think there's necessarily much of a queue.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 9:47 AM

Caleb S.:
For example, I pre-ordered the DCH (Dictionary of Classical Hebrew), and I would like to know the status of that resource. Where is it in production or development? What is left to finish it in Logos format?

I doubt you'll have too long to wait, because it's included in L6 Collectors', with an indication that it will ship in February or March.

Posts 579
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 8:57 PM

Mark Barnes:

Caleb S.:
It would be nice to know how many more people would be necessary for a book to go into production.

I doubt Logos will ever give these figures, because that would allow people to work out how much resources cost to produce, which they'll want to keep confidential.

Caleb S.:
or what percentage of the cost is left to be covered

Surely that's what the length of the red/orange bar indicates, isn't it?

Caleb S.:
Also, when it comes to books that are "Under contract", it would be nice to know what exactly that means.

It means it's being built. A lot of this work is contracted out nowadays, so it scales well, and I don't think there's necessarily much of a queue.

I didn't think about any of that, and that last one I wasn't even aware of. It is just frustrating to wait for something that has been "Under Contract" for more than 2 years while other things that get "Under Contract" one week is out within a month....and there are many MORE books (such as the really big bundles that came out in two months or less, which had over 100 books!). I guess I was just getting too impatient. Although, sometimes communication on different resources in Pre-Order would be very nice. It would be nice to know at least what percentage (approximately) is left to finish (such as the DCH) so a bar that showed percentage or different coloring to note how far along they are with the tagging, etc. in the resource. But it probably would be too much to do (one MORE thing to develop and implement on the website), since Logos already has a lot on their plate as it is (we probably don't even know one one-hundredth of how busy they are).

Posts 19223
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 9:05 PM

Caleb S.:

Mark Barnes:

Caleb S.:

I didn't think about any of that, and that last one I wasn't even aware of. It is just frustrating to wait for something that has been "Under Contract" for more than 2 years while other things that get "Under Contract" one week is out within a month

I'm not sure "under contract" means it's being contracted out for the work to be done. I believe it merely means that they've secured a signed contract with the publisher for the rights to publish this book. And it's in the pipeline to be developed into a digital book. But they haven't necessarily started it. They might very likely do it in house. They have a whole department for doing that, and automated tools that do some of the work for them, given the digital files that they get from the publisher, which is the case for most books published recently. But some of the work gets farmed out to typists in places like India where labor is cheap (e.g., for old books that no digital files exist for, where the quality of the print they have is too poor for OCR to work well, they'll have it typed in manually by two different typists, then use automated tools to compare their results and find the likely typos based on where their versions differ).

Posts 47

Orange bar? Gee, I am visually impaired and use a text-to-speech

Sarah Blake LaRose

http://www.night-light.org

Lenovo Thinkpad, 8GB RAM, 1.50GB quad core processor, Win 7, Logos 6

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 9:02 PM

MJ. Smith:
I currently have 1 book pre-ordered in 2012, 7 books pre-ordered in 2013 and a slew ordered in 2014.

One of the resources I've been waiting on caught my attention on Axxxxx and I'm considering buying it because 1.) I really want it. and 2.) I'm tired of waiting.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS