Upgrading to Windows 7 from XP while running Parallels 5 on an IMac

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Posts 11
Richard Porter | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 19 2010 9:00 AM

I have an IMac running on Parallels 5.  I have what has been an insolvable problem on windows XP which is preventing me from updating to Service Pack 3.   Without SP 3 installed, LG 4 tell me it will not install.  I am running LG 3 now with no problems.  I thought one potential fix might be to buy and install Windows 7.  What potential obstacles I should know about? Will windows 7 install over windows XP or should I uninstall XP first?  What works better 32 bit or 64 bit and does Parallel handle 54 bit all right?  I have read the related posts, so I have some idea.

thanks.  Rich

Posts 29
Matthew Bookspan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 9:16 AM

Rich,

I run both Windows XP and Win7 on Parallels 5. They both work quite well. My recommendation to you is to create an all-new VM with XP. Then, install all of the SPs. The Windows Activation will work fine, because the VM will be identical to your current troubled one (the one that won't upgrade SP3). Then, install Logos 4.

Alternatively, you can install Win7 64-bit just fine in Parallels. I haven't tried 32bit, but I bet that works just as well.

Parallels today released a new build (5.0.9310). I recommend you get that version before you create any new VMs.

Good luck and let me know if I can help more.

Matthew

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS