Quick question about notes and highlights.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 15
James Amos | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 8 2015 3:58 PM

Is there a way for your highlights and notes to be seen on all Bibles instead of just the one it was originally taken on?

Posts 21635
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 8 2015 4:06 PM

James Amos:

Is there a way for your highlights and notes to be seen on all Bibles instead of just the one it was originally taken on?

If the note is created "by reference" the icon indicating it will appear in all Bibles, and other versified resources.

If the note is created "by selection" it will only appear in the Bible in use at the time.

You select this by choosing the text or the range at the top right of the context menu.

Since a highlight is a "note by selection" it only appears in the original Bible

Posts 15
James Amos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 8 2015 5:57 PM

OK Graham I'm LOST!

Let me start from the beginning.

This morning I used my tablet to take notes during service. I selected the group of verses then clicked notes. I was able to take notes and highlight verses. I was HAPPY.

Now I'm home and opened my laptop and see that the highlights are only on the 1 version which is ok with me I guess cause it is the one I read most.

My issue now is I want to highlight some more verse for another set of notes I was working on but when I select them from the context menu it only gives me the option to add to the notes I made this morning.

I've watched the notes video and it is basically about just creating new notes.

I'm wanting to highlight and add to different set of notes.

I did figure out I had to open the Highlight Menu to highlight on laptop, which seems a bit much, but I can't figure out how to add them to notes.

I hope that makes sense.

Posts 15
James Amos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 8 2015 6:00 PM

Also is there a way to select a group of verses and make a new note from there cause all I see is NEW community note?!?

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 8 2015 7:41 PM

James - I don't know if I have your answers or not, and I am currently on my iPhone rather than my computer. I am a bit confused as to what platform and software version you are wanting help for. This thread might be moved to one of the platform specific forums (I.e L5/L6/iOS/Andriod)

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 8 2015 7:49 PM

Sounds to me as if you may have confused a note file with a note. When you go to add a note your are given a choice of which note file you wish to add it to; to add to a note you have to have that particular note open and your cursor somewhere in it.

When you add a note to a file you have your choice of by selection (just this version) or by reference (all versions) in the upper write corner when you go to add the note.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15
James Amos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 8 2015 8:18 PM

OK I understand the difference between the selection and reference now.

BUT if I want to add the selected verses to a note it only gives me one option it will not let me choose different note.

it says:

Add a Clipping

Add a note to "Church Sermons"  <<< which is the note I made this morning.

Add community note

Show Information

I don't see where it will let me make a new note.

I'm using windows 7.

This morning I was using android but I don't have an issue with that.

Posts 21635
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 8 2015 11:23 PM

James Amos:
BUT if I want to add the selected verses to a note it only gives me one option it will not let me choose different note.

James Amos:
Add a note to "Church Sermons"  <<< which is the note I made this morning.

Being pedantic - but it is important to understand the difference - "Church Sermons" is a Notes Document in which you created a note.

James Amos:

I don't see where it will let me make a new note.

I'm using windows 7.

On the desktop platform the right-click menu allows you to add a note to any of your currently opened Notes Documents or - if none are open - to the last one you had open. It doesn't provide you with the ability to create a new Notes Document (although this has been requested on several occasion).

So if you are wanting to put a note into a new Document you will need to create that Document first from the Documents menu - click "Notes" on the left-hand side of that menu.

Does that clarify things at all?

Posts 15
James Amos | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 9 2015 5:51 AM

Yes that makes sense and I have tried it out and works fine.

I just have to have open the note file or create one first.

One more thing about notes can I change them from reference to selection and vice versa?

Posts 21635
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 9 2015 5:54 AM

James Amos:

I just have to have open the note file or create one first.

Correct

James Amos:

One more thing about notes can I change them from reference to selection and vice versa?

No, once they have been created the type can't be changed

Posts 9846
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 9 2015 7:19 AM

Graham Criddle:

James Amos:

No, once they have been created the type can't be changed

But, one can use Edit Attachment Points to attach the note to a reference (if the note is only a highlight, you need to change the note style to actually see it in other translations and versified resources): From NIV 84 Selection

to reference:

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 21635
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 9 2015 7:33 AM

NB.Mick:
But, one can use Edit Attachment Points to attach the note to a reference

That is a nice suggestion - good thoughtYes

Posts 15
James Amos | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 9 2015 7:00 PM

Thanks guys for all the help!!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS