SUGGESTION: Take Text Comparison to the next level

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3691
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 9 2015 2:41 AM

I assume (but I don't know that for a fact) that the text comparison tool is not based on FL having manually highlighted the differences between all possible texts but is an automated comparative tool. Comparing passages across versions is handy, BUT there is much more juicy functionality to be had yet if it can use the same comparative technology: compare two or more passages in the same Bible. 

I know the parallel passages resources line up passages side by side. But they do not highlight (as far as I know) the differences between passages the way Text Comparison does. This would be a wonderful addition and an extremely useful tool. Imagine being able to line up two parallel in the gospels and see instantly what the differences are in the Greek text! Or doing the same with doublets in the Pentateuch, parallel psalms, etc. 

Unless there is already a way of doing this that I am not aware of...

Posts 1511
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 9 2015 4:07 AM

Yes (example application, I see mentioned by Francis, but worth repeating: comparing Synoptic Gospels)

Another interesting possibility would be opening it up to non-Biblical texts as well.

Posts 1511
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 9 2015 5:10 AM

In the meantime - Microsoft Word has an amazing Text Comparison tool, that will work between any two documents. So, one can past a text from Mark into one document, then of Matthew into another document, and then run the tool and see the differences, just like you would in the text comparison tool. 

Posts 3691
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 9 2015 6:24 AM

Another approach is to use the Word List feature. Create a word list for each passage and then use "merge" with intersection as criteria. The advantage of the MS approach is that it will let you find verbatim parallels and lets you see the text. The advantage of the WL approach is that it will let you find common lemmas, making room for finding relationships in spite of small differences in formulation:

Posts 9105
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 9 2015 8:36 AM

I agree that this would be a very useful extension of the technology Logos already possesses.

I could compare quickly the first 10 verses of all Paul's letters, or the parallel accounts of one of the miracles of Jesus.

Good suggestion.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 27040
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 9 2015 1:58 PM

This has been requested several times before - I'm glad to see it finally catching traction.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9018
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 9 2015 3:26 PM

I agree with you Francis. Thanks for bringing this us again to keep in on the front burner for the future.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 571
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 9 2015 9:03 PM

I'd like that feature, too. I think it would be very helpful when doing comparative studies (as a pastor, a student, or a scholar).

Logos 8.7.0.0042 + Faithlife Connect | macOS Mojave 10.14.6 | Mid 2015 Macbook Pro 15" | 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1 TB SSD PCIe Express

Posts 775
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 6:42 AM

Yes

Posts 14
Joel Dougherty | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 23 2015 10:12 PM

Yes

I agree that this would be an incredibly useful feature. 

Posts 29
Matt Rees | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 7:31 AM

I'm looking at the relationship between 2 and 3 John, this tool would have saved me some legwork.

Posts 436
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 9:05 AM

Yes

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS