Make Custom Reading Plans First Class Citizens!

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1823
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 6:46 PM

Can you make reading plans with Vyrso books? (Vyrso has daily devotional books, and I got plenty I want to start with)

Posts 27435
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 6:54 PM

mike:
Can you make reading plans with Vyrso books?

Yep. (another advantage over Kindle books Stick out tongue)

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 113
Mark Prim | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 10:05 AM

Can you make custom reading plans? I am trying to create a plan that does not include the cover page as a day of reading, along with the contents on another. When I open up a custom reading plan I can not figure out how to create one off of a Vyrso book.

Posts 21701
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 10:35 AM

Mark Prim:
When I open up a custom reading plan I can not figure out how to create one off of a Vyrso book.

You basically need to step through the book, selecting portions you want to read and adding them one section at a time into a Reading Plan session.

I've created a video outlining how you can do this at http://screencast.com/t/tRKxBUBz 

It does require some work but it is possible and you can end up with some very precise results.

Posts 1823
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 6:05 PM

Some books from Vyrso are purely daily devotional, and they better than most Logos daily devotionals I've seen.

Can you show me how to make them appear in my choices? and how to make them appear in my Logos android app daily devotional homepage (Logos app mainpage)?

Btw Graham, thanks for the screen cast, but it seems the way you showed us is waaay too long to create a year plan (by the time I finished creating the plan.. I would finished reading the whole book. LOL). Is there no automatic way to make a book to be daily devotional when it already is?

Posts 27435
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 6:14 PM

mike:

Some books from Vyrso are purely daily devotional, and they better than most Logos daily devotionals I've seen.

Can you show me how to make them appear in my choices? and how to make them appear in my Logos android app daily devotional homepage (Logos app mainpage)?

Btw Graham, thanks for the screen cast, but it seems the way you showed us is waaay too long to create a year plan. Is there no automatic way to make a book to be daily devotional when it already is?

I would be glad to help, but I might need an assist. I know nothing of android. For clarification: When you ask about making the Vyrso devos "appear in my choices," you mean "how do I create a custom reading plan using a Vyrso resource"? As for mobile on android: I don't know the status of the new reading plans availablity on android. Currently they are only available on iOS in the beta builds (actually released today). 

Posts 1823
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 6:33 PM

alabama24:

I would be glad to help, but I might need an assist. I know nothing of android. For clarification: When you ask about making the Vyrso devos "appear in my choices," you mean "how do I create a custom reading plan using a Vyrso resource"?

Yes.

How to make this type of books to appear in my choices of daily reading in Logos 6 and Logos Android. And make them appear in Logos 6 homepage and Logos Android homepage.

Posts 27435
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 7:37 PM

This is actually pretty easy, as long as the resource was given a good TOC by the publisher. In fact, this is one area where Vyrso editions (in the past) were superior to Logos editions. Since there aren't other milestones to get in the way (like page numbers), you can use the TOC to assist in the creation of the reading plan.

1. Open the resource and examine the TOC. In this screen shot, notice the TOC has one listing for each day (365). Additionally, there are 9 other listings (including the cover, intro, etc.). To figure out the exact amount, I had to scroll to the very bottom of the TOC where there were some addition listings. The total number of listings was 374. 

2. Create a new reading plan document. Notice there are clickable (hyperlink style) buttons which forms a sentence (Mad libs style Smile). The first step is to select the resource. Then select the date the reading plan should begin... you should select a date in the past... enough days to cover the "junk" readings before the first real one. In this case 4 days prior to today. Third, you need to change the duration from "one year" to the number of readings. This should correspond to the number of listings in the TOC (in our example, 374). This is VERY important. As long as you select the right number of readings, it will create a single reading for each day... plus "junk" readings for things like the "cover."

3. Click "start." The plan is generated four days "behind," so I quickly "mark as read" the four junk readings and have a new plan which has daily readings for 365 days. 

If the actual calendar date is important, you will need to adjust the date to correspond with the real calendar.

As long as there is a reading for "today," and as long as you have "daily readings" selected on your home page, the reading plan should appear on the home page on the left hand side:

Posts 957
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 3 2015 7:25 AM

Graham Criddle:

Mark Prim:
When I open up a custom reading plan I can not figure out how to create one off of a Vyrso book.

You basically need to step through the book, selecting portions you want to read and adding them one section at a time into a Reading Plan session.

I've created a video outlining how you can do this at http://screencast.com/t/tRKxBUBz 

It does require some work but it is possible and you can end up with some very precise results.

Thank you for this very helpful video! I almost blew my puny brain trying to figure how to create a custom reading plan with a Vyrso resource (couldn't figure out how to activate "Choose an open resource"!!). It takes a little effort but it's wonderful when completed (I can break up my chapters just the way I want them ... such joy!). And best of all, custom plans now sync to the iOS app - happy, happy day! Big Smile

Posts 21701
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 3 2015 7:59 AM

Yasmin Stephen:
It takes a little effort but it's wonderful when completed (I can break up my chapters just the way I want them ... such joy!). And best of all, custom plans now sync to the iOS app - happy, happy day! Big Smile

Very pleased to hear you have this workingSmile

Glad to help

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS