Encyclopedia Britannica for Noet is here

Page 3 of 8 (143 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 142 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 89
LogosEmployee
Sherri Huleatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 1:31 PM

Michael Sullivan:

Sherri,

Will this version have articles from Britannica's "Macropedia"?

The reason I ask is that I have the Britannica 2012 "Ultimate" DVD.  Based on review and comments by people who had both this and the print version, my DVD is basically the "micropedia".  Nowadays, to access  "macropedia" (with it's in depths articles) you have to go online. 

If it contains are articles from the macropedia, I might be interested in purchasing it.  

Hi Michael,

I spoke with Britannica and they confirmed that Micro/Macropaedia content will not be included in the Noet edition.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Sherri

Posts 212
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 1:54 PM

Sherri Huleatt:

Michael Sullivan:

Sherri,

The reason I ask is that I have the Britannica 2012 "Ultimate" DVD.  Based on review and comments by people who had both this and the print version, my DVD is basically the "micropedia".  Nowadays, to access  "macropedia" (with it's in depths articles) you have to go online. 

If it contains are articles from the macropedia, I might be interested in purchasing it.  

Hi Michael,

I spoke with Britannica and they confirmed that Micro/Macropaedia content will not be included in the Noet edition.

Sherri

So, what do we get? It sounds a bit like getting less content than the Brittanica DVD, while paying way more money...

Posts 60
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 2:09 PM

I think I am more confused now than I was :)  Without the Micro/Macropaedia content, what does that leave?  

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 2:11 PM

Dear Sherri,

Thank you for your help.  The lack of Macropaedia articles did not surprise me, but by saying does not include articles from the Micropaedia is throwing me for a loop.  I guess I have a couple more questions:

1) Could you ask the people at Britannica what product they would most compare this Noet version with?  

2) Will the media files be downloadable, or are they online accessible only (like visual copy and Atlas in Logos 6)?

Thanks again for your help.  I think Britannica for Logos is a really great idea.  I would be totally in if the content/price ratio are right.   This last point is what I am struggling with at the moment. 

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 2:15 PM

Several years ago when I bought my desktop computer I also purchased a Britannica DVD.  It was a joke.  As they say NEVER AGAIN !

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 89
LogosEmployee
Sherri Huleatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 3:04 PM

Simon:

Sherri Huleatt:

Michael Sullivan:

Sherri,

Hi Michael,

Sherri

So, what do we get? It sounds a bit like getting less content than the Brittanica DVD, while paying way more money...

Hi Simon,

Although the Britannica DVD has more articles, the EBNE is more up-to-date and offers advanced integration into your Logos library. Unlike the DVD, the EBNE will undergo a sophisticated tagging process that links it to other resources across your library, including primary texts, dictionaries, commentaries, and more. In short, the EBNE offers much more functionality and streamlines your study process, so you can have all your resources, all in one place.

Thanks,

Sherri

Posts 975
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 3:12 PM

BUT what does it include :) It sounds like no one knows..

All marketing hype and no actual idea what the product is?!? Hey - it's got links so it must be great.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 3:15 PM

Sherri,

will the maps & photos be high resolution?

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 3:18 PM

OK.  Officially, I'm lost.

Tongue Tied

Posts 212
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 3:32 PM

Sherri Huleatt:

Although the Britannica DVD has more articles, the EBNE is more up-to-date and offers advanced integration into your Logos library. Unlike the DVD, the EBNE will undergo a sophisticated tagging process that links it to other resources across your library, including primary texts, dictionaries, commentaries, and more. In short, the EBNE offers much more functionality and streamlines your study process, so you can have all your resources, all in one place.

And what about the length of the articles? And how are the articles that are included chosen?
When the articles on subjects that are interesting to Logos users (persons and topics in church history, philosophical topics, etc) are included and are full length, like the paper Britannica, it's worth more than when the articles are not chosen based on Logos users interests, or are non-full-length articles (condensed).

Could you please clarify these points? It's nice to know Logos tagging is added, but the value of the tagging is determined by the content that is been tagged. So please provide us with some more information about the kind of articles we can expect.

Posts 3655
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 3:45 PM

Okay, I am seriously considering withdrawing my order.  There is sufficient confusion about what we are getting.  The only reason I am delaying is that I lose the discount if I decide to keep it.  If I could still get the price when I get this ships, I would withdraw the order.  

As it is, I get to get it at the discount price and still cancel at a later date or even 30 (?) days after it ships. This seems to offer the least risk and gives me time to decide whether it is worth the $99.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 89
LogosEmployee
Sherri Huleatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 3:53 PM

To clear up any confusion, here's a rundown of EBNE's key facts:

-It includes new content that's been updated through 2015.

-The EBNE offers 19,000 general reference articles on topics ranging from Aristotle to Zoology--the articles that are included reach beyond biblical and literary topics, and offer information and media on topics you would expect in a typical Encyclopedia Britannica collection. These articles vary in length and are not meant for in-depth research on their own; instead, they should serve as jumping off points for further research.

-We will be offering EBNE content updates for a small fee. We haven’t worked out the details yet, so I can’t give specifics on pricing and timing, but know that the updates are coming!

-There is no comparable print edition--Encyclopedia Britannica stopped producing their print editions in 2012; the content available in EBNE has since been updated and refined, so there’s no print equivalent we can compare it to. Instead, this resource should be treated as an information database.

-The EBNE also includes more than 25,000 high-resolution videos and images that are all fully searchable and accessible--even when you’re not connected to the Internet.

Hopefully this clears up some of your questions!

Sherri

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 3:57 PM

Sherri Huleatt:
-The EBNE also includes more than 25,000 high-resolution videos and images that are all fully searchable and accessible--even when you’re not connected to the Internet.

Thanks Sherri! i plan on letting my son know about this so that he might purchase it for the computer that my grandkids share.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 89
LogosEmployee
Sherri Huleatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 4:01 PM

steve clark:

Sherri Huleatt:

Thanks Sherri! i plan on letting my son know about this so that he might purchase it for the computer that my grandkids share.

Thanks, Steve! That's a great idea :)

Posts 212
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 4:22 PM

Sherri Huleatt:

(...) These articles vary in length and are not meant for in-depth research on their own; instead, they should serve as jumping off points for further research.

Thanks for answering my questions.

The point about the articles not being meant for in-depth research on their own makes me reconsider my pre-pub, especially with the current price of 99$.

The value of the Britannica over Wikipedia are the in-depth, full length articles, written by experts. But I understand only the condensed versions of the articles are included. That reduces the value greatly. For a quick overview of a topic the Wikipedia will do for me.

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 4:36 PM

I am vacillating on this one, but we can all remember that Logos has a 30 day money back guarantee. I may end up having to take advantage of that once this is released. We'll see.

If, like me, you are a bit uncertain if the content will be beneficial, you can still take this offer and once it's on your computer you can evaluate it and decide whether or not to keep it.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 4:50 PM

Mark Smith:

If, like me, you are a bit uncertain if the content will be beneficial, you can still take this offer and once it's on your computer you can evaluate it and decide whether or not to keep it.

But if, like me once you get something you tend to keep it even though you may not care for it, you may want to think twice about it.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 4:55 PM

George Somsel:
But if, like me once you get something you tend to keep it even though you may not care for it,

I am like you (at least in this regard).

George Somsel:
you may want to think twice about it

Yes I will.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 4:56 PM

According to the video, if this was in print it would have more than 33,000 pages. That equates to around a third of a cent per page. Frankly, I don't really care what it's equivalent to or not. I'm just glad it's available, and amazed it's only $100.

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 5:01 PM

My daughter will return something to a store at the drop of a hat (fortunately, people don't wear hats much today [caps, yes]).

george
gfsomsel

Page 3 of 8 (143 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS