This post has 142 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 787
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 9:27 AM

Rosie Perera:

George Somsel:

Greg Masone:

Hello George,

Yep, I've got all those already :-)

Ive got a print edition of the Great Books that I'm readone through and would love to have them all digitally.

You do realize that you can't display them in your bookcases, don't you?  Wink

Sure you can. Take screenshots of your Library in Cover View, print them out, and tape them up on the faces of your bookcases. Wink

Wouldn't be easier just to tape a message to your bookcase that says "for my library I have Logos" Big Smile

Posts 866
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 9:32 AM

Hey Greg,

I'm just going to quickly jump in here to say that we're definitely working on the Great Books from Britannica.  I can't make any promises, but getting the Great Books and Norton Critical Editions are my two top priorities this year (in terms of content acquisition).

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 1426
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 9:52 AM

David Paul:

Gao Lu:

Being Noet and given the provided information I had presumed it might be the 11th edition 1911.  But maybe not?

Yes, the 1911 edition is the one I want. Too bad so few others understand what the 11th edition was and is. It has numerous Bible-related articles. The reputation of the 1911 has caused it to be referred to for over a century. I'm pretty sure Logos offered it as a CP at one time, but it languished and was removed. Too bad. Probably more useful for Logos users than this 2015 edition will be...though I'm not knocking it. May get it myself.

...But I still want the 1911 ed.!!!

Wait, I am getting confused. Will 2015 edition have all those 32 books of 1911 edition? If I purchase 2015 edition, would it be beneficial to purchase 1911 as well?

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 10:01 AM

Wild Eagle:
Wait, I am getting confused. Will 2015 edition have all those 32 books of 1911 edition? If I purchase 2015 edition, would it be beneficial to purchase 1911 as well?

Absolutely !  The 2015 edition will not have the 32 books of the 1911 edition.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 89
LogosEmployee
Sherri Huleatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 10:31 AM

mike:

Sherri,

How big is the file? Just wondering..

I love big files.

Hi Mike,

It's a little too soon to tell. The EBNE is still in production, meaning we still need to go in and tag dates, authors, media, etc. and we won't know the file size until it's closer to shipping. Once we have the file size nailed down, we'll let you know!

Sherri

Posts 1982
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 11:03 AM

Ben Amundgaard:

Hey Greg,

I'm just going to quickly jump in here to say that we're definitely working on the Great Books from Britannica.  I can't make any promises, but getting the Great Books and Norton Critical Editions are my two top priorities this year (in terms of content acquisition).

Ben, I am particularly excited about getting Norton editions in Noet.  Is there any push to get the full Oxford English Dictionary?  

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 27687
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 11:14 AM

Joseph Turner:

Ben Amundgaard:

Hey Greg,

Ben, I am particularly excited about getting Norton editions in Noet.  Is there any push to get the full Oxford English Dictionary?  

the OED is VERY expensive... Have you ever looked up subscriptions? Tongue Tied

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 11:15 AM

Joseph Turner:
 Is there any push to get the full Oxford English Dictionary?

There used to be a push to get OED in Logos but it felt like we were pushing a fully loaded dump truck uphill.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 2:34 PM

Super.Tramp:

Joseph Turner:

There used to be a push to get OED in Logos but it felt like we were pushing a fully loaded dump truck uphill.

I'll push it.  The OED is my Logos holy grail.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 2:41 PM

Todd Phillips:

Super.Tramp:

Joseph Turner:

The Holy Grail?  Don't you know that Joseph of Arimathea took that to Brittain and it is at Glastonbury (or so it has been said).  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 2:50 PM

George Somsel:
The Holy Grail?  Don't you know that Joseph of Arimathea took that to Brittain and it is at Glastonbury

George, please. If it were in Britain (one 't' not two, please) it would have been taken there by an African swallow and King Arthur would have found it during the Quest for the Holy Grail. As one who watched that quest unfold many times I can assure you he did not find it in Britain.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 590
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 2:52 PM

George Somsel:

Todd Phillips:

Super.Tramp:

Joseph Turner:

The Holy Grail?  Don't you know that Joseph of Arimathea took that to Brittain and it is at Glastonbury (or so it has been said).  Wink

No, No, NO...

Indiana Jones found it in the desert in a cave and then left it there. Man, people just don't know history anymore ;)

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 3:01 PM

George Somsel:

Todd Phillips:

Super.Tramp:

Joseph Turner:

Pushing the dump truck up Glastonbury Tor seems doable.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 3:09 PM

Mark Smith:

George Somsel:
The Holy Grail?  Don't you know that Joseph of Arimathea took that to Brittain and it is at Glastonbury

George, please. If it were in Britain (one 't' not two, please) it would have been taken there by an African swallow and King Arthur would have found it during the Quest for the Holy Grail. As one who watched that quest unfold many times I can assure you he did not find it in Britain.

You don't think that I seriously believe that, do you?

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1982
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 6:16 PM

alabama24:
the OED is VERY expensive... Have you ever looked up subscriptions? Tongue Tied

It is very expensive, but the Noet target audience would certainly see the benefit.  It would be no worse than Logos users spending a small fortune on BDAG, HALOT, or some expensive commentary set.

Super.Tramp:

True, but they have a new medium (Noet) that would make this a necessity, so I would expect that the push for it would be ramped up.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 302
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 6:32 PM

Wow, 7 pages, and when it comes to buying, I just have to say... I still have no idea. Getting a full encyclopedia for $100 is a good idea, but I'm not sure if the product offered here is the product I think I need. Getting it at full price is out of course.

I guess with the question mark in my mind, I'll just have to pass. If I had more time to decide, I might be convinced to do it. But right now, i just don't want to take the chance on investing in something that isn't what I need.

Retina MacBook Pro, 2013, iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum. Gold: Orthodox. Bronze: Ordinariate. Lutheran. Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 27687
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 6:38 PM

Joseph Turner:
It is very expensive, but the Noet target audience would certainly see the benefit.  It would be no worse than Logos users spending a small fortune on BDAG, HALOT, or some expensive commentary set.

Some certainly would... (I would love to have it!)... but it would be too rich for my blood. FWIW - an "annual" subscription in the US is $295. That isn't for an ongoing license... it's only for access to the dictionary online for one year. Would users be willing to pay $500 (add Logos costs) to RENT the OED for a year? Some would, yes. 

Here is something working against the OED in NOET. Who is the primary audience for NOET? I assume students / faculty members, right? Many institutions of higher learning have access to the OED provided via their library. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8952
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 5:04 AM

If you are still in doubt place your bid soon. Originally the site said that the sale only would last 3 days (until the 19th). We are living in a period of grace now. Place your order soon or you may be disappointed.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 295
Bruce Roth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 8:16 AM

Bruce Dunning:

If you are still in doubt place your bid soon. Originally the site said that the sale only would last 3 days (until the 19th). We are living in a period of grace now. Place your order soon or you may be disappointed.

Looks like the great deal has now expired.  The price is at $199 and the progress is almost there.  Will be interesting to see how long it takes at the new price to get to completion.

Posts 4764
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 9:23 AM

George Somsel:

Lowering your bid won't change anything regarding where it peaks unless it peaks above you.

Actually, by taking away a $100 bid and bidding lower, the $100 price must decrease. Yes, a bid for $100 is a bid for $50, but keeping a bid for $100 will never create a peak at $50.

Page 7 of 8 (143 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS