Ignore user

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 17 2015 2:49 PM

There are some folks on these forms whose contributions, quite frankly, I'd rather not have to see. A simple ignore function that blocks posts from such a user when I am logged in is common in other forums. I cannot locate that feature on these forums, if it exists and is enabled. If not, can it be so enabled?

Posts 33850
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 3:46 PM

To the best of my knowledge, the capability does not exist; if it did I would be using it.Smile Luckily the number needing bypassed is very small so simply glancing at the name and bypassing them does not waste much time.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 3:59 PM

I agree re: the small number of persons who I'd want to bypass. Though there might be some discrepancy between us on *who* those few are. Smile

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 5:21 PM

Virgil Buttram:
There are some folks on these forms whose contributions, quite frankly, I'd rather not have to see.
Do you find them rude or unhelpul? What is the issue? I would personally like to see some individuals be more gracious in how they respond to others and how they address Faithlife. 

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 6:06 PM

Unhelpful. Some people's perspective is a hammer, and everything they comment on is treated as a nail.

As to rudeness, I'm a long-time internet forum user and I have a pretty thick skin when it comes to general rudeness. In many cases, I can see where it is the product of frustration, even though there are usually better ways of addressing the cause of frustration.

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 23 2015 2:05 PM

Virgil Buttram:

There are some folks on these forms whose contributions, quite frankly, I'd rather not have to see. A simple ignore function that blocks posts from such a user when I am logged in is common in other forums. I cannot locate that feature on these forums, if it exists and is enabled. If not, can it be so enabled?

It's a good suggestion.

Posts 295
LogosEmployee
Toby Steele (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 25 2015 8:56 AM

Thanks for the suggestion; I've passed it along.

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 6:48 AM

I'd really like to see this implemented. The Logos 7 release has brought out the worst posting behavior in some people.

Posts 948
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 10:43 AM

I'm with you. Perhaps I'm not tough-skinned enough, but at times I get downright discouraged because of the brashness of some folks. The good side to being so sensitive is that I get positively thrilled when I see encouraging or helpful words on these forums, and this is fortunately a frequent experience.

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 7:33 AM

Bumping this request. Recent threads have highlighted that the ability to self-filter whose posts we see would make for a more productive and peaceful community environment.

Posts 1475
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 8:16 AM

Kevin Maples:

Virgil Buttram:
There are some folks on these forms whose contributions, quite frankly, I'd rather not have to see.
Do you find them rude or unhelpul? What is the issue? I would personally like to see some individuals be more gracious in how they respond to others and how they address Faithlife. 

Not sure if the OP has the same issue in mind, but some in these forums can be bullies. It occurs more so among some, thought not all or even the majority, of those who frequent the forums. Not sure why it is...maybe they view their stockpile of frequent flyer miles as a ticket to say anything they want, regardless of how it may be perceived to other readers or how it might offend the intended recipient. Its akin to the "if you don't like it, tough" thought process. I suspect their would be more participants in the forums we would all simply slow down and think about what we say before we say it. Im sure we could all be a little more kind and considerate to others in the forums, and a little more humble. 

I had not thought of the OPs idea before. Its a really good idea. Like others said, likely not going to be implemented...but a good idea, nonetheless. Thank you for bringing it up. 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 1475
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 8:24 AM

Kevin Maples:

I would personally like to see some individuals be more gracious in how ... they address Faithlife. 

Me too! That's my biggest complaint in these forums. Some forget everything they've ever been taught about kindness, love, respect, and humility when it comes to how they address Faithlife. It's as if the Bible and it's teaching on how to treat others do not apply when it comes to Faithlife. And when someone calls them out on it, they fall back on all the things FL has done to them as their justification, as if the requirement to love our "enemy" (not that FL is really anyone's enemy, but some act as if they are at times) does not apply when we are victims of the big, bad, "crooked" Faithlife folks (again, not that FL is crooked; but they are portrayed as such by some in the forums). 

Some really do have valid complaints. But there's a right way and a wrong way to bring those complaints to the table for discussion. Making accusations and presupposing to know the thoughts and intents of the hears of the FL team isn't a good starting place, either. 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 9:01 AM

Absolutely great suggestion! I'm surprised it's not been implemented.

I know at church, sometimes there's someone a little 'off-key' ... we all carefully ignore them, and they usually go away.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2016 11:25 AM

Undoubtedly, I can be one of Bob's harshest critics. Maybe not.(Is it good to say, "I hope not"? It's rough to be one of the harshest critics, but, at the same time, do we want someone to be worse, while at the same time not wanting to be the worst?
My biggest hope is that while I have been known to (at least in my opinion) have valid complaints, I pray that when I am harsh, I am not crossing the line. I always hate saying what I feel needs to be said-- usually in what i believe is cautionary; but, always fearful of crossing that line, and wrongly judging. Even rightly judging. 
For me, it has always been from extreme frustration, and not having Bob's vision of this being a company for profit (NOT that I am against even a Bible producing company being for profit) but, a matter of frustration over the vast number of upgrades. (Since 2009, we have gone from L-3 to L-7, with L-8 and perhaps 9 being worked on now). 
I have been much happier, however, with L-7 and the Logos Now option. It still works out about the same, probably, but, the initial investment with Now will be lower, and if one realizes "Oh, this isn't what I need", the layout on the upgrades won't be too detrimental. I don't think, anyway.Downside is if we have to stop subscribing, we lose the features. As long as we dont lose the previous features, I think I can live with that. 
This time around, however, I did see something that made me feel a bit more comfortable with how the business is run. I was offered a "Recent upgrade" discount, which by going the Now route, made it "an offer I could not refuse", making it very much worth while to give it a try. This has never happened to me before, and had it happened, I may not have been so upset. Yet, there are always those who won't qualify, and they will be in the same situation. So, yeah, having so many upgrades is annoying, perhaps wrong. But, I did see the company at least try to not appear to be so greedy this time. (And that's the line I hate to even run close to, because I don't know the actual operating costs, necessary or not, I do fear by making those statements, even if true, may keep God angry at me-- kind of like when God tells David to kill all the people he has killed, but has too much blood on his hands to build the temple. Gee, thanks, right? lol).

I do get things from both ends. The "groupies" as I have dubbed them, who in al honesty are trying to be decent people, who jump me, because I'm not onboard with seemingly every other day upgrades, and being one who, again, trying to be a decent person, but, jump Bob and company. 

I do agree with OP that it would be nice to have an "ignore" button. But, at the same time, having moderated Christian forums, I have found a humorous situation: People will either say, "I'm putting you on ignore" and then go back and unignore them to read what they might have written (true story), or some other just as silly thing. 

It's good to see a great response you posted as well, as we do get more passionate than we perhaps ought to. 

Myke Harbuck:

Kevin Maples:

I would personally like to see some individuals be more gracious in how ... they address Faithlife. 

Me too! That's my biggest complaint in these forums. Some forget everything they've ever been taught about kindness, love, respect, and humility when it comes to how they address Faithlife. It's as if the Bible and it's teaching on how to treat others do not apply when it comes to Faithlife. And when someone calls them out on it, they fall back on all the things FL has done to them as their justification, as if the requirement to love our "enemy" (not that FL is really anyone's enemy, but some act as if they are at times) does not apply when we are victims of the big, bad, "crooked" Faithlife folks (again, not that FL is crooked; but they are portrayed as such by some in the forums). 

Some really do have valid complaints. But there's a right way and a wrong way to bring those complaints to the table for discussion. Making accusations and presupposing to know the thoughts and intents of the hears of the FL team isn't a good starting place, either. 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS