Academic Steals

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 20 2015 1:36 PM

My academic pricing is going to expire at the end of the month, and a combination of ministry responsibilities, a marriage coming up in May and a secular job will keep me out of seminary for a little while. I was wondering if there are any resources anyone considers "must haves" that are available on academic pricing. I have L5 Diamond and L6 Gold (Standard and Baptist) and NICOT/NICNT as the big academic purchases I have already made. I see little value in any of the other base packages below Collectors (since I have a prepub in for the Master Journal Bundle and the only really impressive resources added through Portfolio are journals and PD books), which is not even in my daydream budget.

So, aside from the value of base packages - what resources are eligible for a great price with the academic discount?

PS: Does it drive anyone else crazy that the title in the HTML of logos.com/basepackages is "Basepackages"? This is not Apple; we can put spaces and capitalization. 

Posts 1048
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 1:46 PM

Hey Justin,

If you share what your interests and focuses are, I've got lots of untapped opinions I'm ready to unleash! Big Smile

Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 2:00 PM

Lew Worthington:

Hey Justin,

If you share what your interests and focuses are, I've got lots of untapped opinions I'm ready to unleash! Big Smile

I am a conservative Baptist pastor but I enjoy reading thing I disagree with (The JPS Torah commentary being an unexpected base package gem) to develop my thinking. Besides that, my interests are broad and I would like them to be broader. Original languages are okay (my Greek is better than my Hebrew, but I can follow technical). Fire away with your most opinionated opinions!

Posts 2002
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 2:50 PM

Best is to buy ALL the base packages, including verbum capstone, best bang for your bucks. Since you get 50% off right? 

Posts 600
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 3:41 PM

Here are a handful of resources I have found unexpectedly helpful. There is varying academic discount on each one, though I'm not sure if any are 'steals'.

and really as much of the Ancient Literature Collection and as many journals as I could get. Personally, I found that the Verbum Practicum base package had a high bang for the buck.

Posts 5921
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 4:08 PM

Nick Steffen:
Personally, I found that the Verbum Practicum base package had a high bang for the buck.

Verbum Practicum is a product, not a base package, so I think you mean something else.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & not waste others' time. Thanks!

Posts 600
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 4:13 PM

Of course. You're right. I wax referring to the Verbum Capstone base package. 

Posts 5921
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 4:21 PM

Nick Steffen:

Of course. You're right. I wax referring to the Verbum Capstone base package. 

It's definitely good value for its price.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & not waste others' time. Thanks!

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 4:50 PM

The academic discount on the Socio-Rhetorical Commentary series is astonishingly good. Almost 50% off of the bundle, and individual volumes vary but are discounted by up to 73%! I have a few volumes and I've found them to be very helpful companions to the more traditional commentaries.

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 5:15 PM

And more! Try this search string, it'll list all books you don't already own, sorted by discount percentage:

https://www.logos.com/products/search?start=0&sort=savings&pageSize=60&unlocked=no

There are quite a few good books for free or 99¢ that are full price without the academic discount!

Posts 1048
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 5:47 PM

Justin Gatlin:

I am a conservative Baptist pastor but I enjoy reading thing I disagree with (The JPS Torah commentary being an unexpected base package gem) to develop my thinking. Besides that, my interests are broad and I would like them to be broader. Original languages are okay (my Greek is better than my Hebrew, but I can follow technical). Fire away with your most opinionated opinions!

(N.B.: What follows is so painfully brief that my answer may seem to be evasive. Furthermore, I don't actually know what's in your base packages, so I might be recommending things you've already got. I apologize for both of these weaknesses. Also -- and I don't apologize for this, but I warn you in advance -- my recommendations are primarily for exegetical research rather than more direct church or personal application. It is up to you to make the appropriate applications of the fruits of your exegesis.)

So, FWIW, here are some things I think it would be nice to get, especially if it has an academic discount:

1. I generally agree about base packages; the upgrades I've done always seem to carry lots of fluff, but also some things that are unexpected gems.

2. I always love a good commentary, and among good ones, I value both the kinds that excel at collating current scholarship (such as you'll often find in the New International Greek Testament Commentary) and ones that might be regarded as seminal works (like the Galatians work by Betz in Hermeneia). There are tons of great ones available, but in my teaching career, I warned my students not to lean too much on the interpretive input of others. But good commentaries should provide good methodological examples as well as a great knowledge base. And while sets can vary in quality, the JPS series you mentioned is good. I also like Hermeneia, the ICC, the Word Biblical Commentary, the Anchor Bible, and others.

3. Related to commentaries, one of the biggest surprises to me (because I never looked at these kinds of things even when I was working on my dissertation) are the translation Handbooks from the United Bible Societies. Even if your language skills are good, these seem to offer great perspectives on cultural and linguistic nuances you might miss.

4. Make sure you pick up all the Greek and Latin Perseus stuff. One day, you may find that what Aristotle says about poetry or narrative, or what Herodotus says about history, has more relevance to understanding the literature of the Bible than you had previously ever imagined.

5. In fact, in general, extra biblical literature is important to understand the literary world in which the Bible was written. Resources containing apocalyptic literature or ancient Near Eastern texts (including The Context of Scripture) will eventually be helpful.

6. As you might infer, I find basic tools that enable you to do your own research of supreme value. Beyond commentaries, I've found things like The Center for New Testament Textual Studies: NT Critical Apparatus the fulfillment of years of yearning. Additionally, things like good reference grammars are important.

7. There are tons of great resources for filling in knowledge gaps related to Scripture. To this end, I've found the dictionaries from IVP like Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, and Dictionary of Paul and His Letters and others (and the OT volumes) helpful.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 5:50 PM

When I had the academic discount I noticed the T&T Clark collections were discounted heavily.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 4165
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 6:36 PM

Should point out that not every school qualifies for 50% off. I'm at 30% my self. Would prefer 50% but I'm not complaining.

May go to knox next, and I think they are a half off school.

Also get in touch with a sales person... When they are looking for a new repeat customer they offer great deals.

Was offered a smaller verbum base package (foundations I think) and the zondervan biblical languages package for ~100$ less than the zondervan biblical languages package would have cost on its own - dynamic pricing didn't play into the zondervan discount either. I was blown away and happy.

The verbum BP cost ~120$ on its own. together i paid i think 560$. Normal price on Biblical languages is 616 on academic.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 1127
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 9:56 AM

How can we find what our academic discount is?

L4 BS, L5 RB, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum, L9 Baptist Platinum.
2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro 14" 16GB 512GB SSD, running MacOS Monterey   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 8.

Posts 5458
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 11:11 AM

I thought I read something that said Academic Discount was essentially an extended rental that expired once academic status ended. Is that true or not?

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 25765
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 11:18 AM

David Paul:

I thought I read something that said Academic Discount was essentially an extended rental that expired once academic status ended. Is that true or not?

No - it is a discount applied when purchasing products and you keep the products even when you no longer qualify for the discount.

There are restrictions (in general, you can't do it) in transferring products you acquired under an academic discount to anyone else.

Posts 5458
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 11:21 AM

Graham Criddle:

There are restrictions (in general, you can't do it) in transferring products you acquired under an academic discount to anyone else.

Oh, yes, that's what it was. I knew there was some sort of restriction. Thanks.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 11:28 AM

Graham Criddle:

Unless I am mistaken, you can will your entire library (including titles acquired under the academic pricing) to an heir. I could be wrong but Bob Pritchett said something along those lines.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 25765
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 11:51 AM

Super.Tramp:

Graham Criddle:

Unless I am mistaken, you can will your entire library (including titles acquired under the academic pricing) to an heir. I could be wrong but Bob Pritchett said something along those lines.

I believe you are correct - thanks for the clarification.

Posts 89
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 10:48 PM

IVP dictionaries.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS