Libronix Books - Price Difference

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 343
Jason Saling | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 19 2010 8:06 PM

I'm attempting to ask an honest question, while staying within the Forum Guidelines, therefore I won't say what resource I'm speaking of or link to where it's located at.  With that said, I found a particular resource that I am interested in, it is NOT a PBB, but designed for Libronix specifically by a professional company.  The price difference of the resource is $96.  Is there a reason why the one advertised by Logos is so much more expensive?  Should I just buy the cheaper version, or is there something unique by the one made by Logos?

Jason Saling

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 8:12 PM

Jason, there are very few cases (probably no recent ones) where the same resource was actually produced by two different companies and might have had different qualities. Today you cannot purchase Logos-produced resources except through them. Resources produced by Logos' partners (Baker, IVP, Nelson, and soon, Zondervan, as well as others) are available from other sources as well as from Logos. I always shop for the best price.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 666
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 8:13 PM

There won't be anything unique in it. Maybe some companies that make software allow it to be used in Libronix, but mark it up when they sell it to Logos so that people buy it directly from them.

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 8:14 PM

There is no difference.  Good for you to do some looking and use the financial resources the Lord has given you wisely.  Resources are the same no matter where they come from (granted they may need updating, which is done through the program so it is not an issue).

Posts 343
Jason Saling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 8:31 PM

It is sold by one of the above partners.  But by the partner it is included as a special package library, whereas Logos looks like it is, but might be without a few of the resources.  Yet the partner is significantly less expensive, which I don't understand the dramatic difference.  It's not like it's a difference of $20, but $96!

Jason Saling

Posts 666
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 8:32 PM

They probably impose a digital book tariff on Logos

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 8:36 PM

There's no way to explain the difference in pricing. If the contents are the same you are getting the same product. Go for the cheaper price.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2011 6:27 PM

Jason Saling:

It is sold by one of the above partners.  But by the partner it is included as a special package library, whereas Logos looks like it is, but might be without a few of the resources.  Yet the partner is significantly less expensive, which I don't understand the dramatic difference.  It's not like it's a difference of $20, but $96!

Logos is often not  the cheapest they have sales sometimes but even the sales sometimes are not as cheap as the physical shipments form other companies or discount book sellers. I recently saw one product on sale at logos and found the physical cd at CBD for $25 cheaper. It is best to shop around and be thankful companies insist on physical products so there is some price choice out there.

-Dan

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2011 6:39 PM

In a few cases it is the same resource but Bible references have been updated by Logos to the ESV rather than the KJV.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1855
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 3:49 AM

Jason Saling:
But by the partner it is included as a special package library, whereas Logos looks like it is, but might be without a few of the resources.

I know this does not answer the price difference question but as for the difference in the set there may be a reason.

Is this labeled as Libronix or Logos? If it is Libronix, the publishing partner might include things such as audio or video files that Logos does not. There was a recent thread (can't remember which one) that discussed this. Since Logos is primarily trying to provide only downloads, they just include the books. The customer called customer service and they offered to send him/her the discs with everything.

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 5:08 AM

If you found the product at a third-party supplier, it may be heavily discounted because it's technically obsolete and discontinued. I picked up a very cheap version of the RC Sproul library that was designed for Logos 2 recently. It was obviously hassle getting it installed in Logos 4, but it was worth it. The publisher's probably remaindered them because they're so out-of-date. Even a lot of the Logos 3 CD-ROMs are now discontinued, and you can pick them up cheaply. As Mark says, if you see a bargain, take advantage of it - they won't be around forever.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 2951
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 8:01 AM

That is not unusual.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 249
Giovanni Baggio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 9:18 AM

I do have a question: How really useful is the Tyndale OT/NT commentaries?  Because I've seen it for $135-$145 and would like to add those 49 volumes to my library.  Any input will be greatly appreciated.  I know I wouldn't be able to get that price even with a 30% off discount. 

I don't know about you, but sometimes I think logos should try to do some "price matching" for their regular customers.  That'd be awesome!

Have a great day!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 10:39 AM

Giovanni Baggio:
I don't know about you, but sometimes I think logos should try to do some "price matching" for their regular customers.

When dealing with third party published resources, there may very well be a contractual price floor that Logos is not allowed to sell below. Imagine a non-competitive agreement that many businesses require when they join efforts in a venture.

The Libronix CD versions of many collections will also contain audio files (sermons or books) that are not available with the downloaded Logos 4 version. Just remember prices do fluctuate for many reasons. When I bought Hermeneia commentary on CD from a third party it was cheaper than the Logos website. Shortly after purchase Hermeneia was bundled with the Continental Commentaries for less that I had purchased it. Had it been a purchase from Logos.com I could have returned the old CD and purchased the new one for less. Third party sellers don't offer that kind of service. (To top it off, Logos then kindly offered me a special price to add the Continental Commentaries to my Hermeneia set to ease the pain. Smile )

Price is my first consideration when making a purchase but not my only one. Service, convenience and quality are also factors.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 11:19 AM

Giovanni Baggio:
I do have a question: How really useful is the Tyndale OT/NT commentaries?  Because I've seen it for $135-$145 and would like to add those 49 volumes to my library.  Any input will be greatly appreciated. 

They're among my top 5 commentaries, often about the 3rd I consult.  They're not so technical I drown (ICC and Hermeneia are more technical than I can usefully use).  But they do go into background and meanings of words and, I think, what other commentators think.  I have found them a very good investment.

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 11:50 AM

Giovanni Baggio:

I do have a question: How really useful is the Tyndale OT/NT commentaries?  Because I've seen it for $135-$145 and would like to add those 49 volumes to my library.  Any input will be greatly appreciated.  I know I wouldn't be able to get that price even with a 30% off discount. 

I don't know about you, but sometimes I think logos should try to do some "price matching" for their regular customers.  That'd be awesome!

Have a great day!

I like the set but some volumes are great and others quite a bit less than great. The Genesis volume is quite weak IMO but I am using the Hebrews volume right now and finding it useful. I have also had occasion to use the Luke volume recently and it was excellent.

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 1:06 PM

Robert Mullen:

Giovanni Baggio:

Have a great day!

I like the set but some volumes are great and others quite a bit less than great. The Genesis volume is quite weak IMO but I am using the Hebrews volume right now and finding it useful. I have also had occasion to use the Luke volume recently and it was excellent.

All of the NEW Testament was updated during the late 80s-2003 for Gospel of John, now it is true many of the OLD Testament volumes were done in the same time frame, a lot of them were done in the 60s and don't hold up as well, I own this set and use it occasionally, The Genesis Volume mentioned was published in 1967, and I found it to be a fair volume, but you can decide that yourself.

-Dan

PS: It was mentioned that Logos is moving away from CDs this is true but many of the publishers require Logos to make CD versions for their own distribution, like the IVP offerings.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS