Print Still Matters

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2711
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 24 2015 7:54 PM

Interesting article on the staying power of print

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/why-digital-natives-prefer-reading-in-print-yes-you-read-that-right/2015/02/22/8596ca86-b871-11e4-9423-f3d0a1ec335c_story.html

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 24 2015 8:34 PM

Given my age (39 on my next birthday Wink), I would probably not be considered a digital native, but I do like print books.  There are some problems with print books when one is doing research in that they aren't easily searchable and the notes are equally difficult to locate.  Also, if you're living in an apartment, there is only room for so many print books.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 19221
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 24 2015 8:46 PM

I had the chance to participate in a private tour of an amazing old hand-set letterpress a couple of weeks ago, Barbarian Press in Mission, BC. Beautiful craftsmanship, keeping history alive. Before touring the press, we were treated to a history of printing over wine & cheese in the living room of Jan & Crispin Elsted, the lovely renaissance couple who run the press. It was quite an experience. I do appreciate print, especially when it's done in a loving way that is attentive to the beauty of letter forms and page layout and paper quality. There's something about that that the screen will likely never replicate.

Here are some photos. We got to try our hand at printing a page of poetry!

http://rosiep.smugmug.com/Other/Roundtable-Conversation/n-dSVGj/  [EDIT: corrected link]

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 24 2015 8:59 PM

Rosie Perera:

I had the chance to participate in a private tour of an amazing old hand-set letterpress a couple of weeks ago, Barbarian Press in Mission, BC. Beautiful craftsmanship, keeping history alive. Before touring the press, we were treated to a history of printing over wine & cheese in the living room of Jan & Crispin Elsted, the lovely renaissance couple who run the press. It was quite an experience. I do appreciate print, especially when it's done in a loving way that is attentive to the beauty of letter forms and page layout and paper quality. There's something about that that the screen will likely never replicate.

Here are some photos. We got to try our hand at printing a page of poetry!

http://rosiep.smugmug.com/Other/Roundtable-Conversation 

Page not found.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 19221
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 24 2015 10:15 PM

George Somsel:

Oops, sorry. I edited it above. I'd forgotten that the URL for me when I'm logged into my own account doesn't include the special key at the end that's needed to give y'all access to it.

The full, correct URL is http://rosiep.smugmug.com/Other/Roundtable-Conversation/n-dSVGj/ 

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 24 2015 11:24 PM

I love the digital world however, holding a printed book makes it personal something digital can never be.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 25 2015 3:27 AM

Rosie Perera:

George Somsel:

Oops, sorry. I edited it above. I'd forgotten that the URL for me when I'm logged into my own account doesn't include the special key at the end that's needed to give y'all access to it.

The full, correct URL is http://rosiep.smugmug.com/Other/Roundtable-Conversation/n-dSVGj/ 

Thank you for sharing those, Rosie.  It takes me back to junior high shop when I composed and ran one of those presses—Mr Almeyer was the teacher (bald as a billiard ball).

george
gfsomsel

Posts 557
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 25 2015 3:55 AM

I am a book lover as well, but I especially love just having the best of both worlds... So I have Logos 6 Gold... and still do my Bible Study using a paper Bible, colouring pencils and writing my notes with a fountain pen (once the paper study is completed, it's scanned to a massive OneNote Bible Study file that I have, and then recycled).

And at the same time, long live the additional ability to find information quickly when I need to! Yes

Woohoo!

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 25 2015 4:41 AM

George Somsel:
bald as a billiard ball

Getting kind of personal, aren't you? Some of us do not need hair to cover the imperfections of our scalp—because there are no imperfections up there Geeked

Posts 116
Tanner Thetford | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 25 2015 7:04 AM

Reminds me of a joke I once heard that God made very few perfectly shaped heads and the rest he covered with hair.

Posts 947
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 25 2015 7:13 AM

After reading this article I find it a little suspect.  For two reasons:  the first paragraph with references stating that millennials prefer print to digital are those who directly benefit from stating that fact; book sellers, text book makers would want this to be believed.  The other reason is as a millennial who went through college and seminary, if there was a digital copy, we chose it over print.  The margin over those choosing digital vs print would be nearly all.  Being in student and college ministry for over a decade, I can say that the up and coming students are choosing digital too.

I'm not trying to be contrary; I, too, like print.  I don't prefer it to digital, but old books make me smile as I turn pages, some that haven't been turned in 100 years.  But I believe that print is mattering less and less.  Dead tree book sales are proving this.

Posts 80
Daniel R Bartholomew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 25 2015 8:42 AM

...and this is why I hope Faithlife will bring the LEB to print!!  Smile

Posts 2711
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 25 2015 5:43 PM

Print book publishers have become their own enemies. Poor bindings, cheap paper, and printing that often lacks legibility and design flaws does a great disservice to book buyers. 

I think the article does indeed show some slant. But there's still a large market that chooses print. My wife has largely taken my iPad for her use, but buys print books even though the tablet would be ideal for reading. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 25 2015 7:37 PM

Rosie Perera:

Is that you in the Lavender ???

-Dan

Posts 19221
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 25 2015 7:59 PM

Dan Francis:

Rosie Perera:

Is that you in the Lavender ???

Yes, I started wearing my Lenten purple color a bit early. Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 25 2015 8:06 PM

Rosie Perera:

Personally still dreaming of Logos print on demand parallel Bibles with visual filter highlighting.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 19221
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 25 2015 9:13 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Rosie Perera:

Personally still dreaming of Logos print on demand parallel Bibles with visual filter highlighting.

Keep Smiling Smile

Here's what that printed page says up close:

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Yes, that would be cool.

EDIT: I just learned that Google announced a partnership between Google Books and a Print on Demand service a number of years ago, but I don't see any evidence that this materialized, or maybe it did but not enough people used it and they discontinued it already. This was old news, more than five years ago, during which a lot can change in this industry.

http://www.wired.com/2009/09/google-books-publish-on-demand/ 

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 9:48 AM

Beautiful poem...

Geeked

-dan

Posts 9566
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 11:23 AM

Dan Francis:

Beautiful poem...

Geeked

-dan

Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 12:18 PM

George Somsel:
Given my age (39 on my next birthday Wink

George

You remind me of an exchange teacher from Missouri who came to work in my school in Inverness for a year – in 1984. After meeting her I took her along to the staff room to introduce her to the other teachers. In the course of conversation, one of my staff asked her, rather indelicately I thought, how old she was. Without missing a beat she replied, "I'm 29 and holding!" I've been that age now for nearly 40 years!

Every blessing

Alan

BTW I love my digital library, but I love my old leather bibles too!

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS