Community pricing wait time.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 56
Fred Robbins | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 26 2015 9:55 AM

Greetings,

I have been waiting 3 years for the English Bible Collection in the community pricing section. Is it really taking that long to get enough bids? There is so much good stuff in that collection. I am surprised that Logos has not included several of the translations in their Logos 5 and 6. I have free programs with several translations from the collection and I have to go back and forth using them. If these free programs can include several of these translation in the collection, I wonder why Logos can’t.

It is a long wait for this collection.

Posts 30654
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 10:29 AM

Fred Robbins:
Is it really taking that long to get enough bids?

Apparently so.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 10:50 AM

Fred Robbins:

Greetings,

I have been waiting 3 years for the English Bible Collection in the community pricing section. Is it really taking that long to get enough bids? There is so much good stuff in that collection. I am surprised that Logos has not included several of the translations in their Logos 5 and 6. I have free programs with several translations from the collection and I have to go back and forth using them. If these free programs can include several of these translation in the collection, I wonder why Logos can’t.

Always a good idea to provide the link, which is here:  https://www.logos.com/product/16808/english-bible-collection 

I'd not seen this one and took the opportunity to place a bid.

Posts 3541
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 10:56 AM

Fred Robbins:

Greetings,

I feel your pain.

Posts 9827
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 11:44 AM

Fred Robbins:
I have been waiting 3 years for the English Bible Collection in the community pricing section.

Yes, it has been a long time but it is not the oldest product in Community Pricing. See Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible - https://www.logos.com/product/6374/a-dictionary-of-the-bible I've had my bid placed for this since 2011.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 12:09 PM

Fred

I've been waiting for years too. I must say that I'm surprised that it seems to be so unappealing to many Logos users. As the leading bid is only $30 for 27 volumes it would seem to me to represent not only good value for money but an opportunity to acquire a great set of resources which enable the Logos user to trace the development of much of the history of the Bible in English.

As for Logos making these available, there is a considerable cost in man-hours to tag them so that they are searchable, to say nothing of their being integrated into several datasets.

However, I recall waiting for many years to get some commentary sets into print but the savings made the wait well worth while in the end.

Perhaps your post here will kindle the interest or pique the curiosity of people who have only now been made aware of this excellent opportunity. Thank you for posting here.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 56
Fred Robbins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 1:46 PM

Thank you Alan.  Smile

Posts 1062
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 1:52 PM

Alan Macgregor:

.... I must say that I'm surprised that it seems to be so unappealing to many Logos users. As the leading bid is only $30 for 27 volumes it would seem to me to represent not only good value for money but an opportunity to acquire a great set of resources which enable the Logos user to trace the development of much of the history of the Bible in English.

I was tempted to bid, but I couldn't figure out what to do with it. Your statement is accurate, IMO: It would be interesting from a church historical perspective. But I couldn't find any explicitly exegetical value. But I'll follow it to see if interest picks up.

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 2:37 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Fred Robbins:
I have been waiting 3 years for the English Bible Collection in the community pricing section.

Yes, it has been a long time but it is not the oldest product in Community Pricing. See Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible - https://www.logos.com/product/6374/a-dictionary-of-the-bible I've had my bid placed for this since 2011.

Bruce, Hastings' Dictionary looks as though it's not too far from 100%

Posts 9827
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 2:41 PM

Lew Worthington:
But I couldn't find any explicitly exegetical value.

I believe that the value comes from comparison. We can gain insights as we ponder how each version chooses to translated a passage much the same was we can gain insights by comparing commentaries.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1360
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 2:53 PM

Rayner:

Bruce, Hastings' Dictionary looks as though it's not too far from 100%

People who bought the 3 largest L6 pkgs paid for it last fall! You would have thought there were enough of them to put it over the top.

Posts 30654
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 5:10 PM

Bruce Dunning:
I believe that the value comes from comparison. We can gain insights as we ponder how each version chooses to translated a passage much the same was we can gain insights by comparing commentaries.

I have been "in" for a while on this one, but I might pull out. I agree in the value in comparison... but I don't know how much value there is in it to me to compare 20 translations in 16th century english. It is kind of a "bridge too far."

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1027
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 5:53 PM

Bruce Dunning:
I've had my bid placed for this since 2011.

I've been in since 2010 - what took you so long? Big SmileBig Smile

Posts 9827
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 6:46 PM

David Carter:

Bruce Dunning:
I've had my bid placed for this since 2011.

I've been in since 2010 - what took you so long? Big SmileBig Smile

I'm not sure what happened. Tongue Tied

Posts 171
Jerome Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 12:24 PM

I, too, wish more of the Logos community would get on board for this one.

I have the print editions of many of these titles, but not all. Even so, having it in Logos makes it easier to get to than going to my bookshelf and taking down the volume.

How useful for study are these versions? Some provide distinctive renderings that give much insight into the meaning of a verse.

Some of these versions have had a following by a particular faith group. For example, the Isaac Lesser Bible was introduced to me by members of the Bible Students Association, the original followers of Charles Russell. Yet that Bible is a Jewish Bible! Still, it is a helpful translation.

I'm not trying to be critical here, but I have found that if the Lord has placed you in a position where you have a wide range of contacts with persons from other than your own faith group, such a collection would certainly spark your interest. It did mine--and I'm a mere retired English teacher with a strong interest in Bible study. I've had my bid in for some time too, and look forward to getting this collection once enough of you are inspired to bid on it. The price simply cannot be beat!

Posts 792
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 1:13 PM

Looks like a nice collection. Thanks for mentioning it Yes

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS