Masters in Biblical Studies

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 35 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 28 2015 4:43 PM

Also, let me say don't let Greek and Hebrew intimidate you. I went back to seminary (DTS) at 45 and had to take 3 years of Greek and 2 years of Hebrew and did fine. Especially after life experience and with a personal desire to master the language of the Bible, I think you would find it not that difficult.

Also, let me say that even after 25 years of lay ministry and sermon/bible study experience, I found seminary invaluable. The key to ministry is being a life long learner. Not learning to get a job or more money - learning because I want to be the best vessel that I can be for Him. The older I get, the more inadequate I feel, and the more I have a desire to grow and learn. Did I say that at 57 I finished my D Min? Every moment valuable to my current ministry - none of it required by the church, and I'm too old to be in the job search market.

Just my thoughts.

Posts 27

Shane Atkinson:

Oh, and my BS is from Liberty and I will most likely stay there for my Masters unless I decide I need more than the 36 hours if so I will be looking at Dallas Theological Seminary.  

Don't do your Masters credits through Liberty!!!  You cannot transfer those credits to an ATS accredited seminary.  

Posts 18
Shane Atkinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 28 2015 6:26 PM

Mark Groen:

Don't do your Masters credits through Liberty!!!  You cannot transfer those credits to an ATS accredited seminary.  

Not familiar with ATS. I'll go research that now. 

Posts 18
Shane Atkinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 28 2015 6:27 PM

Danny Parker:

Just my thoughts.

All thoughts appreciated. Thank you for the encouragement. 

Posts 1518
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 28 2015 8:44 PM

Mark Groen:

Shane Atkinson:

Oh, and my BS is from Liberty and I will most likely stay there for my Masters unless I decide I need more than the 36 hours if so I will be looking at Dallas Theological Seminary.  

This would only be an issue if he didn't complete his degree at Liberty. In my opinion, regional accreditation is the gold standard, not ATS accreditation. I'm actually surprised that many seminaries haven't dropped ATS all together.

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 1 2015 9:20 AM

Shane Atkinson:
Honestly what keeps me away from the M. Div mentally is I am scared of Hebrew/Greek text. I cross reference the language in Logos, but I am not so sure I can study it. 

Shane, if you are set on Liberty that may not be a bad route to help you get over the language issue. A quick look at their courses show they have some introductory Greek in their seminary course guides

NGRK 505 - Greek Language Tools
NGRK 520 - Beginning Greek I
NGRK 525 - Beginning Greek II
NGRK 620 - Greek Syntax
NGRK 643 - Greek Exegesis: Galations

These are all available for online students.

Posts 27

Josh:

This would only be an issue if he didn't complete his degree at Liberty. In my opinion, regional accreditation is the gold standard, not ATS accreditation. I'm actually surprised that many seminaries haven't dropped ATS all together.

If that is the last and/or only place he wants to get a degree.  It would be awful to get a Masters degree, decide to get an MDiv, and then have to take the 36 credits over again at an ATS seminary.

Now that ATS allows online only MDiv's it would be really nice if Liberty tried to get ATS accrediting for their seminary.  I took 12 credits at Liberty before I realized all of this and so I had to take church history, an NT class, and one other class again.  It would have been really nice if Liberty would have explained fully the consequence of not being accredited by the ATS.

Posts 18
Shane Atkinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 1 2015 11:33 AM

In regards to the ATS..remember I knew nothing of this before last night. I quickly learned if it is an ATS school there is no way I can fully complete the M. Div online.

I did start looking at this plan, Liberty has a 36 hour MAT(BS) and those credits can be transferred up to "their" MAR or M.Div. This would allow me to complete the MAT(BS) free from the Army and all online. If I did desire to further that degree in the future because I wanted to or needed to I could but out of my pocket. 

As for the ATS transfer of credits that would be a CON to the above thought. 

Does ATS accreditation play a role in the ministry search? Do a lot of Churches look at your school to see if it is an ATS school or not? 

Sorry to keep this going but I do not have a local mentor to talk this stuff through at the moment. He's currently deployed so all of your help is greatly appreciated. 

Posts 18
Shane Atkinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 1 2015 11:36 AM

Kent:

Shane, if you are set on Liberty that may not be a bad route to help you get over the language issue. A quick look at their courses show they have some introductory Greek in their seminary course guides

Thanks Kent, I'll look into this. Currently researching the languages to see what my comfort level is at the moment. I think I'd love to learn these. 

Posts 29359
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 1 2015 11:41 AM

Shane Atkinson:
Do a lot of Churches look at your school to see if it is an ATS school or not? 

When asked that way, I think the answer is "no." Rather, churches look for candidates from certain seminaries (which may or may not be an ATS school).

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 18
Shane Atkinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 1 2015 12:30 PM

alabama24:

Shane Atkinson:
Do a lot of Churches look at your school to see if it is an ATS school or not? 

When asked that way, I think the answer is "no." Rather, churches look for candidates from certain seminaries (which may or may not be an ATS school).

Ok thank you. 

I think I have this narrowed down thanks to you all. I just need to pray on these two courses of action and see where I need to go. Both will be paid for by the Army. At the end of the day I am continuing my education because I like to learn not for more money or status. I do pray that when I retire from active duty I end up where God intended for me to be and not where I think I need to be.

Top Two Choices (open to more thoughts):

Liberty, Masters of Theology Biblical Studies (36 Hours). Non-ATS, Credits can transfer to a higher MAR or M. Div if desired internal to Liberty and other non-ATS schools. M.Div can be finished completely online.

Moody Bible Institute, MA Biblical Exposition (36 Hours). ATS school. Possible transfer of credits towards M.Div if desired. 

Posts 23
Eric Gren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 1 2015 12:48 PM

Hi Shane,

For what it's worth, I am in the military and pursuing an MDiv from Liberty University.  I initially looked at the Masters of Theology Biblical Studies and almost went with it except when I started the Air Force didn't put a cap on Master's level tuition.  I too was worried about the Greek but it's really not that bad.  They have an English Bible Tract which has you take a Greek language tools class and then two New Testament Bible classes.  The same goes for the Hebrew tract.  I found the Greek language tools class challenging but not too difficult.  I haven't taken the NT Bible classes but looking at the course syllabus it seems similar to what would have been taken during the Bachelor's program.

Eric

Posts 1518
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 1 2015 2:28 PM

I was looking at the prices of some online seminaries, and I have to say, with Liberty's block rate discount, you can literally get the price down to $170 per credit hour! That is simply amazing for a regionally accredited graduate degree. You can get a full 93 hour M.Div for under 16 grand in tuition fees. No wonder why thousands of seminarians are flocking there.

http://www.liberty.edu/online/masters/divinity/

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 1 2015 9:43 PM

Shane Atkinson:
Currently researching the languages to see what my comfort level is at the moment. I think I'd love to learn these. 

Thankful for Logos visual filter highlighting that can show range of Greek verbal expression in English, Greek, and Spanish resources with appropriate tagging.  Logos Wiki has examples => https://wiki.logos.com/Extended_Tips_for_Highlighting_and_Visual_Filters#Examples_of_visual_filters

Greek has a greater range of verbal expression. Many English words are derived from Greek.  Both English and Greek read from left to right.

Hebrew may be a bit more challenging when reading from right to left.  The book of Lamentations has alphabetic verses, like several Psalms.  English translation does not show the Hebrew alphabetic usage.  Psalms 119 has sets of eight verses that begin with a Hebrew letter.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2313
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 2 2015 6:08 AM

Shane Atkinson:

In regards to the ATS..remember I knew nothing of this before last night. I quickly learned if it is an ATS school there is no way I can fully complete the M. Div online.

I did start looking at this plan, Liberty has a 36 hour MAT(BS) and those credits can be transferred up to "their" MAR or M.Div. This would allow me to complete the MAT(BS) free from the Army and all online. If I did desire to further that degree in the future because I wanted to or needed to I could but out of my pocket. 

As for the ATS transfer of credits that would be a CON to the above thought. 

Does ATS accreditation play a role in the ministry search? Do a lot of Churches look at your school to see if it is an ATS school or not? 

Sorry to keep this going but I do not have a local mentor to talk this stuff through at the moment. He's currently deployed so all of your help is greatly appreciated. 

ATS has recently (within the last 3 years) revised its standards so that online only M.Div is possible - See Moody Theological Seminary. Moody also does languages with a heavy logos-based approach to languages. When Moody Theological Seminary acquired Michigan Theological Seminary (it was ATS accredited) they aligned their programs with ATS standards.

Also, ATS accredidation can come into play if/when you consider D.Min programs.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 3295
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 2 2015 7:52 AM

This is off topic, but Shane I am pretty sure you and I have been in class online together before.  I recognized your name from discussion boards.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS