Advanced Search Q&A

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 29
Jonathan Vliet | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 5 2015 3:50 AM

Greetings, 
Every once in a while I'm looking for the occasional help with an advanced search, and I'm not sure where to turn.  

Currently I'm interested in searching every instance where the emotion "Anger" is attributed to God.

Thank you

Posts 26054
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 5:28 AM

Jonathan Vliet:
Every once in a while I'm looking for the occasional help with an advanced search, and I'm not sure where to turn.  

These forums are a good place to turn - probably best in the Logos 6 forum (https://community.logos.com/forums/124.aspx

Jonathan Vliet:
Currently I'm interested in searching every instance where the emotion "Anger" is attributed to God.

My first attempt was as below:

But I would have expected many more results - it seems that not all the places I would have expected are tagged with <Person God>

So I suggest doing a Bible Word Study for different words for "anger" and looking at "Clause Participants" - an example below:

It will take some work - checking out the different lemmas - but should get you close to what you are looking for.

Posts 1069
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 5:54 AM

Graham's response, as usual, is helpful and awesome.

It also raises an interesting and important point regarding the general goal of searches, and this is something I've been recently thinking through in my own research. Specifically, many times I do a search, I don't need an exhaustive search. That is, I don't need every instance of something I'm looking for, but I just need some examples. This is almost always the case whether I'm preaching, teaching a small group, or doing academic research. Even when it seems like I would want to be able to definitively announce that "exactly 23% of the time such-and-such occurs in the Bible, it has this meaning," there are some problems, namely: (1) My audience rarely really needs that kind of precision; (2) Language is too fluid to hold up under such statistical inquiry; and (3) such results usually depends on the resources' tagging, which is subjective, and therefore, not rigorously objective by nature.

I know this is slightly (or profoundly) off-topic from the OP's question, but in practice, most of the time, a reasonable search I can construct in 3 minutes will give me what I want. But when I do need an exactly and exhaustive result, well then, Graham and a few others faithfully come to the rescue. Smile

Posts 1069
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 5:58 AM

Oh, one more thing:

Sometimes, it is OK for a search to return more results than I need. The reason it is OK is that I can weed out what I don't need manually. For example, if I want to find all cases in 1 John where a substantive participle is used syllogistically, that specific search might be hard to construct. But it wouldn't be hard to find all substantive participles and pluck the ones I need by hand.

Posts 28007
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 2:00 PM

Graham Criddle:

<Sense anger (emotion)>  WITHIN 2 WORDS <Person God> is better and it will include all the results of your LEB search.

There is no overlap of words for 'person:God' and 'sense:anger' in the ESV as required by 'sense:anger within person:God'.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 26054
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 2:22 PM

Dave Hooton:

Graham Criddle:

<Sense anger (emotion)>  WITHIN 2 WORDS <Person God> is better and it will include all the results of your LEB search.

There is no overlap of words for 'person:God' and 'sense:anger' in the ESV as required by 'sense:anger within person:God'.

Thanks Dave, very helpful

Posts 16
Jean-Charles Nicolleau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2022 3:10 PM

Greetings.

Here is also one other request (not an answer).

Would you please help me to extend a search query like the following one :

https://ref.ly/logosres/lxfiglanggloss?ref=FigurativeLanguageType.Will+of+God+as+Actions+God+Desires+People+to+Do

{Label Figurative Language WHERE Target ~ <FigurativeLanguageTerm Actions God Desires People to Do>}

Results are correct but too few (only 3 results).

I also find two detailed articles on this topic :

ISBE https://ref.ly/logosres/isbe?hw=Will+of+God 

AYBD https://ref.ly/logosres/anch?hw=Will+of+God+in+the+OT&off=21162

DBT https://ref.ly/logosres/dicbblthemes?hw=God%2c+will+of&off=2976

So, would anyone have any idea of how to extend results from such a search query ?

Posts 28007
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 29 2022 2:14 PM

Jean-Charles Nicolleau:

{Label Figurative Language WHERE Target ~ <FigurativeLanguageTerm Actions God Desires People to Do>}

Results are correct but too few (only 3 results).

Yes. A Search for "will of"  BEFORE 3 WORDS  God, father is much more fruitful, and normally a base from which I can extend results even further, but not in this case

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 16
Jean-Charles Nicolleau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 31 2022 3:22 PM

Dave Hooton:

Yes. A Search for "will of"  BEFORE 3 WORDS  God, father is much more fruitful, and normally a base from which I can extend results even further, but not in this case

Yes, actually, It's much better. And the number of words can be adjusted. Many thanks, Dave...

Have a good and holy new year 2022... !

Posts 1367
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2022 6:31 AM

Are you looking for general information on the concept "Will of God"? If so, Factbook on Will of God is a good place to start, along with Will of God in the OT.

This Figurative Language item only covers the figurative use of phrases like "will of God" in the NT. Looking at one of the instances in Mark 3:35, the Bible Sense Lexicon has annotated "will" with Inclination (attitude), with many instances (both testaments), and some child senses. So a Bible search for "<Sense inclination (attitude)> NEAR <Person God>" might be closer to what you're looking for. 

Posts 1367
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2022 6:35 AM

(Sorry for the duplicate post: technical glitch)

If you're looking for general information on the concept "Will of God", Factbook on Will of God is a good place to start, along with Will of God in the OT.

This Figurative Language item only covers the figurative use of phrases like "will of God" in the NT. Looking at one of the instances in Mark 3:35, the Bible Sense Lexicon has annotated "will" with Inclination (attitude), with many instances (both testaments), and some child senses. So a Bible search for "<Sense inclination (attitude)> NEAR <Person God>" might be closer to what you're looking for. 

Posts 19600
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2022 10:30 AM

Sean Boisen:
So a Bible search for "<Sense inclination (attitude)> NEAR <Person God>" might be closer to what you're looking for. 

An expanded search is: <Sense cognition> WITHIN 3 WORDS (<Person God> OR <Person Jesus> OR <Person Holy Spirit>)

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS