Basic Word or Theological Definition from Text?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 82
robert@ccsanangelo.org | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 5 2015 6:53 AM

Before I go about this the "long way" is there a way to right click, triple click, etc. a word in an article to look up its English Dictionary definition and or its Theological definition?

Ex. article contains: "the Latin church, under the influence of Augustine, advanced to the system of a divine, monergism, which gives"

I want to lookup monergism, what is the best flow for that?

Thanks for helping the uneducated. We needs it!

6.1.0.0024 | Macbook Pro 10.10.3

Posts 3295
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 6:59 AM

Double click the word and it should bring up the highest prioritized dictionary that is applicable for the word.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 82
robert@ccsanangelo.org | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 9:37 AM

Tried that and "triple" clicking. Just brings up Power Lookup with nothing there.

Posts 24646
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 9:53 AM

Robert Bigouette:

Tried that and "triple" clicking. Just brings up Power Lookup with nothing there.

Very strange - it should work exactly as David suggested

http://screencast.com/t/kh59uZ9W is a screencast showing it in operation.

Do you have any English dictionaries which include this term?

Does it work if you double-click on other words?

Posts 82
robert@ccsanangelo.org | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 11:00 AM

I think both of you are right David & Graham.

Sigh. When i do a search, I find that only a few articles, no dictionary with the word. From the billion books I have in the Silver package, apparently this one or anything like it, is not part of it. It pulls up Merriam Webster for most other words. Just the theological ones that are bugging.

Finding this more and more with Logos. I can barely afford food, not sure I can justify upgrading anymore. LOL.

Guess I have to hit the web! For well over a thousand dollars, I am finding myself doing that more and more. Very disappointing and seems like more of a waste of money every day. Sorry, not very rejoicing of me. 

Posts 737
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 11:32 AM

Robert Bigouette:

Very disappointing and seems like more of a waste of money every day. Sorry, not very rejoicing of me. 

Please don’t be so disappointed. Monergism seems to be a difficult word for my modest library of 5151 resources. Double clicking brings up the Evangelical Dictionary of Theology: Second Edition for me while the only other dictionary I have containing this word is Nelson’s New Christian Dictionary which I believe I picked up in a Nelson Bundle. An “all text in all resources” search brings back 144 results in 111 articles in 72 resources. All this to say that’s a tough word so please don’t base the effectiveness of your library on this term Wink

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 82
robert@ccsanangelo.org | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 4:08 PM

Thanks for the encouraging words Scott! 

I did a search in all resources. Got 9 hits. It's not just this word, but many other features and searches I find myself getting quicker and better results when searching on Google. Even to find items in my own library, LOL. Which I thought was the reason we paid so much.

Most of the resources I use consistently are free in other apps, or online at Blue Letter Bible :)

I have purchased some tutorial videos, perhaps they will help me. 

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 5:31 PM

Robert I am going off topic here but, your fouling the track. Big Smile

Posts 82
robert@ccsanangelo.org | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 5:34 PM

Yea, sorry Kent. Ended up being more of a bitter betty than a seeker. Sorry again!

Posts 5265
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 6 2015 12:42 AM

Robert Bigouette:
I did a search in all resources. Got 9 hits. It's not just this word, but many other features and searches I find myself getting quicker and better results when searching on Google. Even to find items in my own library, LOL. Which I thought was the reason we paid so much.

You did better than I - with four and a half thousand resources I got no hits. However in the forum a three finger touch opened a definition from Wikipedia instantly.

Always good to have a fall back.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS