Vote Piper!!!!

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 7 2015 7:02 AM

Help me move Piper past Wright.  So many of Piper's books are incredible reads. Take a minute and vote for him!

Posts 957
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 7:11 AM

Done already Smile

Posts 120
DBR | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 9:20 AM

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 12:52 PM

Yes

I am currently reading the Swans are Not Silent series by Piper and wouldnt mind picking them up in the Logos version.

Posts 960
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 1:13 PM

Thanks for reminding me, just voted for Wright!

His stuff is great!

Posts 6224
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 5:51 PM

I have a few books and his sermon archive, so that's good enough for me.  His sermons (you could say) are pretty much his writings. 

DAL

Posts 22
Derek Ennis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 7:34 PM

JohnB:

His stuff is great!

馃憤馃憤馃憤

Posts 178
Ann Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 1:30 AM

Everett Headley:

Help me move Piper past Wright.  So many of Piper's books are incredible reads. Take a minute and vote for him!

BOOO!!! Storm

JohnB:

His stuff is great!

Go, boy..., go!!! Yes

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 7:32 AM

Little boy blue, come blow your horn …

george
gfsomsel

讬职诪值讬志砖职讈谞讜止转值讬谞讜旨 讘指讛侄诐 砖执讈讘职注执讬诐 砖指讈谞指讛 讜职讗执诐 讘执旨讙职讘讜旨专止转 砖职讈诪讜止谞执讬诐 砖指讈谞指讛 讜职专指讛职讘指旨诐 注指诪指诇 讜指讗指讜侄谉

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 8:37 AM

JohnB:

His stuff is great!

But Wright has also become a controversial figure in recent years, igniting a heated debate among American theologians with his so-called “New Perspective on Paul.” Many prominent Christian leaders wrote rebuttals of Wright’s perspective–most notably pastor John Piper, who devoted an entire book to the matter (The Future of Justification: A Response to N.T. Wright). - See more at: http://jonathanmerritt.religionnews.com/2013/11/06/nt-wright-john-piper-paul-debate-tome/#sthash.cZDFUqiD.dpuf 

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 10:17 AM

Piper! :)

the other guy is just ok. Piper is great!

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 960
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 10:43 AM

The difference is that I find his work generally more worth while reading than Piper.

I wonder how many people who denigrate Wright have actually READ what he says rather than rely on second hand reports?

Describing someone as controversial does not automatically mean that they are wrong! It just means that theologians disagre with each other on the validity of Wrights work.

All good reasons for reading him  8-)

Posts 1347
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 11:10 AM

Vote Wright! Bring down his $100 volume to $25!

(Wright is known outside his theological circle. Piper is not.)

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 11:38 AM

Ben:

I think that you will find that Piper is well known in both Reformed Baptist and Presbyterian circles, so you are wrong there.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 11:49 AM

Mike Pettit:

Ben:

I think that you will find that Piper is well known in both Reformed Baptist and Presbyterian circles, so you are wrong there.

But what about Anglican and Catholic?

george
gfsomsel

讬职诪值讬志砖职讈谞讜止转值讬谞讜旨 讘指讛侄诐 砖执讈讘职注执讬诐 砖指讈谞指讛 讜职讗执诐 讘执旨讙职讘讜旨专止转 砖职讈诪讜止谞执讬诐 砖指讈谞指讛 讜职专指讛职讘指旨诐 注指诪指诇 讜指讗指讜侄谉

Posts 72
papa_gowgow | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 12:04 PM

Ben:

Wright is also a writer of extraordinary diversity: his works written as Tom Wright are hugely accessible to all, even the most recent of converts to the faith, while his N.T. Wright texts are hugely important to those who are going deeper in their studies.

I really enjoy much of what Piper has written (his Men of Whom the World is Not Worthy lectures are fantastic), but I think Wright can reach far more people if given the opportunity. 

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 1:09 PM

George Somsel:

Mike Pettit:

Ben:

But what about Anglican and Catholic?

I was responding along the same lines as "both country and western"

Posts 1347
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 1:31 PM

"both Reformed Baptist and Presbyterian circles"

Oh both Reform Baptist AND Presbyterian? Devil
I immediately thought of Mike's line, from Blues Brothers. "Oh, we have BOTH kinds of music, country AND western."

That's a pretty narrow slice. Wright is read by non-denominational NT scholars and all kinds of people, because he speaks broadly and to the scholarly community. Piper largely seems to be a preacher with academic credentials. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 178
Ann Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 2:01 PM

George Somsel:

I knew that would draw you out of the wood-work... Cool I've been sitting on the fence, watching the forum 'tennis' posts for quite a long time without responding. 

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 2:03 PM

George Gates:

George Somsel:

I knew that would draw you out of the wood-work... Cool

Yes, and

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers …  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS