Vote Piper!!!!

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 8 2015 2:36 PM

Everett Headley:
Help me move Piper past Wright.

I did my part. This was an act of pure self interest as I already hold license to the Wright resources available from Faithlife.

It is possible that with sufficient discounting I may add more Piper, though I rather hope Bruce, or Fee, prevails in the next vote.

"The Christian mind is the prerequisite of Christian thinking. And Christian thinking is the prerequisite of Christian action." - Harry Blamires, 1963

Posts 1555
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 9 2015 12:39 PM

Everett Headley:
Help me move Piper past Wright.  So many of Piper's books are incredible reads. Take a minute and vote for him!

Yes Voted for Piper!

Posts 178
Ann Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 9 2015 3:58 PM

Integ:

Everett Headley:
Help me move Piper past Wright.  So many of Piper's books are incredible reads. Take a minute and vote for him!

Yes Voted for Piper!

Hang on in there, N.T.!

Posts 10115
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 9 2015 5:57 PM

I don't think the Wright people have thought this out well.  Each time they yell, 'Wright!' the Piper thread pops to the top of the forum to collect more votes.

But I'd bet Piper has the bigger customer base on Logos; maybe not for MM. Guess we'll see.

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 7:44 AM

Denise:
Guess we'll see.

Will the result evidence a broadening of the Faithlife customer base? I am not sure that the scope of content available always fairly represented the base.

This is an interesting contest given the invective from Piper toward Wright regarding justification and Wright's often overdrawn stereotyping of American Evangelicals. If I were picking for a friend I'd have to go with Wright. I prefer to find what Piper offers from other voices.

"The Christian mind is the prerequisite of Christian thinking. And Christian thinking is the prerequisite of Christian action." - Harry Blamires, 1963

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 7:56 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS-u1V5Yh_c

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 8:20 AM

George Somsel:

Nice. George is that a personal favorite or did you search for something to offer up on this thread?

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 8:23 AM

JAL:

George Somsel:

Nice. George is that a personal favorite or did you search for something to offer up on this thread?

I searched for "Fife and Drum"  Actually, I wish I had found a video of the time Gorbachev (?) came to the White House and Reagan treated him to a display of a drum and bugle corps (not pronounced "corpse" as Obama did) in old timey uniforms (high beaver hats, etc).  That sent chills up my spine.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 10:42 AM

George Somsel:
Gorbachev (?) came to the White House and Reagan treated him to a display of a drum and bugle corps

You might like this, listen carefully, opinions will vary whether it has anything to do with support of the contestants currently being discussed in this thread.

http://www.history.com/topics/cold-war/cold-war-history/videos/reagan-meets-gorbachev?m=528e394da93ae&s=undefined&f=1&free=false

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 11:15 AM

JAL:

George Somsel:
Gorbachev (?) came to the White House and Reagan treated him to a display of a drum and bugle corps

You might like this, listen carefully, opinions will vary whether it has anything to do with support of the contestants currently being discussed in this thread.

http://www.history.com/topics/cold-war/cold-war-history/videos/reagan-meets-gorbachev?m=528e394da93ae&s=undefined&f=1&free=false

That doesn't appear to be the correct URL.  Might it be this? 

george
gfsomsel

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 11:33 AM

Your URL is identical to mine, I fixed it before you posted.

I plead guilty to participation in hijacking the thread and will stop.

Posts 4
Lorna Reach | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 2:22 PM

Piper--Yes

Tozer--Yes  Let's add votes for Tozer

--the hijack was fun and now back on track

Posts 2328
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 2:32 PM

It's very close - just a little more than a 100 votes separating them.  Wright is ahead right now. 

I haven't voted yet.  Still thinking about it.

Posts 787
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 2:35 PM

Time to pay the piper Stick out tongue

Posts 3033
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 3:35 PM

looks like Piper may go down. Right/Wright/Correct?

mm.

Posts 178
Ann Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 6:22 PM

Milkman:

looks like Piper may go down. Right/Wright/Correct?

hmmm..., pity this voting round is not cut short a day or two. That would clinch it! Whisper. It's like watching a horse race, with the favourite just hanging on.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 7:19 PM

Ben:

"both Reformed Baptist and Presbyterian circles"

Oh both Reform Baptist AND Presbyterian? Devil
I immediately thought of Mike's line, from Blues Brothers. "Oh, we have BOTH kinds of music, country AND western."

That's a pretty narrow slice. Wright is read by non-denominational NT scholars and all kinds of people, because he speaks broadly and to the scholarly community. Piper largely seems to be a preacher with academic credentials. 

16m sbc? and 5 or 7m presbyterians in the US?
 Worldwide there are 75m in presbyterian denominations.
The SBC is harder to gauge because we don't empire build over seas - they are left to establish their own denomination overseas should they want one. however I've seen estimates from 110m (from a number of years ago) to more than 250m (more recent and includes china). picking a middle number means potentially 350m or so baptist and presbyterians.

I attended a CMA bible college, and Piper was quite well read by the student body (cma is arminian) and oft quoted by professors.

So I think that you are perhaps putting Piper in a smaller box than you realize.

Anglicans are estimated to be around 76m world wide. I didn't bother to google the catholic numbers, but am happy when catholics read protestants :)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 10115
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 12:10 PM

I'm just bumping this, to keep the playing field even (I'm not a Piper-ette).

But abondservant's arguments having considerable merit.  

1. If Logos is looking to expand it's user-base, the Piper-team has more potential buyers.   That's easy.

2. Piper is more affordable.  Again if Logos wants to expand its new-user base, affordability is a key criteria.

3. Piper is practical (sermons, lessons, etc).  I clearly remember scooping up Piper's sermons for free (not on Logos of course).

4. The not-wrong guy is just wrong.  (Frankly I don't agree with either one of them.)

So.  Vote Piper so your investment in Logos will remain healthy and strong!!

Posts 1356
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 2:00 PM

Wright writes for all Christians, of which any group is a subset (regardless of numbers). You don't have to be a particular theological bent to appreciate him, because he's not writing for a particular theological audience.

I would argue that pushing Piper is simply pandering to the predominant Evangelical (or at least Protestant) user base of Logos. (Love me some alliteration.)

An anecdote- the other day, I polled a group of undergrads and a few new grad students in relevant fields of Semitics, Biblical Studies, ancient Near Eastern Studies, etc. as to their familiarity and usage of Logos, Bibleworks, and/or Accordance. Those who had heard of Logos said, "Isn't it primarily devotional Evangelical stuff?"

That's the perception Logos has to deal with to reach *those* potential buyers, and Piper simply reinforces that in a way Wright does not. (FWIW, I tried to correct that perception.)

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 178
Ann Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 2:37 PM

Ben:

I would argue that pushing Piper is simply pandering to the predominant Evangelical (or at least Protestant) user base of Logos. (Love me some alliteration.)

Yahoo!! My thoughts exactly, hence my comments that Wright is not wrong, but I would be a little more definitive in saying the Baptist political bloc. This is akin to a minority political faction that topples a government. I also agree with your comment where you say, "You don't have to be a particular theological bent to appreciate him, because he's not writing for a particular theological audience."

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS