Vote Piper!!!!

Page 3 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 49 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10120
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 3:30 PM

Ben, you're going to get in big trouble with Lorna (though, we are popping Piper to pitch the good pastor to the panderees).

But you're being unbelievably 'wrong' with Logos.  I took a scientific statistical sample of the new resources being shipped.  This would avoid measuring unfortunate denominational biases that might have existed a month ago.

Actually I gave up after sampling one page.  Basically if there was a group assigned, it was evangelical.  And if the resource quite obviously would appeal to a denominational group other than evangelical, well ... it wasn't.

The best one, however, was 'Jesus and Judasim' by Sanders.  Evangelical.  Yep.  They got that one right.

Bottom-line:  I think you're stretching your argument with your friends/student.  Logos is solidly somewhere.

OT:  Check-out the about-to-ship.  I missed the USB5, Lexicon of St Thomas Aquinas (not evangelical), and the ivory-carver book ... oops History of Biblical Interpretation.

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 3:42 PM

Ben:

I would argue that pushing Piper is simply pandering to the predominant Evangelical (or at least Protestant) user base of Logos. (Love me some alliteration.)

Ben, please maintain the proper decorum in this forum.  Your remarks would be found to be inflammatory to my demographic.  

Posts 178
Ann Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 3:48 PM

Denise:

Ben, you're going to get in big trouble with Lorna (though, we are popping Piper to pitch the good pastor to the panderees).

But you're being unbelievably 'wrong' with Logos.  I took a scientific statistical sample of the new resources being shipped.  This would avoid measuring unfortunate denominational biases that might have existed a month ago.

Not everyone can afford Logos books, but it is free for everyone to vote, which is the more accurate? Then again, not everyone would vote with their conscience, but to topple the governing body (e.g. Wright)?

Posts 178
Ann Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 3:59 PM

Everett Headley:

Ben:

I would argue that pushing Piper is simply pandering to the predominant Evangelical (or at least Protestant) user base of Logos. (Love me some alliteration.)

Ben, please maintain the proper decorum in this forum.  Your remarks would be found to be inflammatory to my demographic.  

hmmm..., looks like we could invoke a 'scorched earth' policy here... Surprise Perhaps not wise to use (political) banter, and remain completely straight faced on the forums (don't forget to sit up straight in your chairs, too!).

Posts 1359
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 4:48 PM

"I took a scientific statistical sample of the new resources being shipped."

I've been a Logos user for a dozen years, and I agree that it's changing now, in many ways.  But I'd wager if you took the 300 most active people on the forums, you'd find a very high Protestant and probably Evangelical showing, who value the quasi-Protestant status of the company. It's part of Logos being trustworthy, in that perspective. But it has a downside, and Logos has to walk a line in keeping the older users happy while attracting a broader base. 

I applaud the theological broadening of packages, though I note there's still no Jewish package, unlike some other company. Such a package may never happen, for a variety of reasons (including getting Jewish users to buy a Jewish package from a company with a cross in their Logo.)

Of course, this is all about voting. I'd like to see Logos sell as broad a variety of books as possible. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 861
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 5:03 PM

Ben:
there's still no Jewish package

https://noet.com/products/47210/judaica-research-library

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 1359
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 6:13 PM

Between Biblia.com, Noet, Vyrso, Lexham, Faithlife, and Proclaim, I hope I can be excused for not keeping up entirely. 

Is Noet essentially Logos minus the overt Protestant/Christian packaging? If so, it only underscores the reality of that description. Or are there other differences? 

I'd also point out, that as a long-time user and frequent forum inhabitant, if *I* am not aware of these things or getting snowed by them, then your random undergrad/grad student interest in a Judaica package is certainly not going to be aware of them either. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 787
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 6:28 PM

The best one, however, was 'Jesus and Judasim' by Sanders.  Evangelical.  Yep.  They got that one right.

Thanks for mentioning this Yes

Posts 861
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 9:02 AM

Ben:

Between Biblia.com, Noet, Vyrso, Lexham, Faithlife, and Proclaim, I hope I can be excused for not keeping up entirely. 

Is Noet essentially Logos minus the overt Protestant/Christian packaging? If so, it only underscores the reality of that description. Or are there other differences? 

I'd also point out, that as a long-time user and frequent forum inhabitant, if *I* am not aware of these things or getting snowed by them, then your random undergrad/grad student interest in a Judaica package is certainly not going to be aware of them either. 

Just to be clear, you can also buy it on logos.com https://www.logos.com/product/47210/judaica-research-library

You can use Noet research libraries in your regular Logos/Verbum software.

The answers to your second and third questions are a little more complex (and I don't want to take this post further off track Wink)

The short answer is that Noet is geared for both Humanities students (more specifically classical studies right now) and Jewish users (for the reason you raised in an earlier post).

I'm happy to discuss this in more detail by email (ben (dot) amundgaard (at) noet (dot) com) or in another forum post.

Thanks!

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 10120
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 9:49 AM

Ok.  It's desperate times. Mark is predicting a Piper-comeback.  Take chances? Heavens no.

It's time to bring out the BIG, BIG reason to vote 'Piper'.

Spell it ALFORD.  That'd be Henry Alford.

Piper is an Alford afficionado. Who else in MM believes in Alford??  

Ok. Let's see all the votes for Piper flow in. 

To Ben #2 if you're still watching this thread.  Ben #1 has a point. I got hooked on Spiro who wrote in jrewish research journals.  Those journals sure would be nice, hint, hint.  In Noet/Logos.

Page 3 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS