Do Morris Proctor manuals provide added value to LearnLogos videos ???

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1569
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 12 2015 7:11 AM

I've completed the Udemy course (only $6 with coupon) and am currently working my way through the LearnLogos course ($60 for the USB version).  Both are bargains for 3rd party training materials. 

I also have the Morris Proctor training volumes 1 & 2 on pre-pub order for $39.95, but am wondering if they will have much added value over the video training I now have. 

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both products for a prior version of Logos.  If so, would you go with both again?  If not both, which would you go with and why?

NOTE:  I apologize if this seems like a topic that's already been addressed.  E.g. I am aware of this thread regarding training material, but don't see an answer to my specific question. I will soon be unable to cancel my order for the MP training manuals so am hoping for timely feedback.

ADDED Apx. 6:00 PM, March 12th.  I just got an email the manuals are about to ship.  Additional input anyone?  Confused

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 7:32 AM

Rick, I was in the same position. Right or wrong, I concluded that the MP training manuals, while they are probably good, would not sufficiently add enough to the Udemy and LearnLogos material to warrant keeping the MP preorder, so I canceled it.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 1569
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 7:45 AM

Bill Moore:

Rick, I was in the same position. Right or wrong, I concluded that the MP training manuals, while they are probably good, would not sufficiently add enough to the Udemy and LearnLogos material to warrant keeping the MP preorder, so I canceled it.

Thanks, Bill--I appreciate the quick response.

I very much like training material in a "manual" format/structure and there are some advantages to having a paper manual.  But unless the manuals provide much material not covered in the videos, I'm not sure I can justify purchasing them on top of the videos I currently own.  I'm sure the fact that I feel good manuals should be included with the purchase of Logos packages doesn't make the decision any easier either. 

Posts 10
Sanford Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 6:41 PM

Rick Ausdahl:
I'm sure the fact that I feel good manuals should be included with the purchase of Logos packages doesn't make the decision any easier either. 

If you haven't voted in Logos Uservoice, you can vote for a user manual that would come along with a base package automatically. Just click the link and it will take to the page where you can vote. It has 41 votes currently but if more people would vote we could probably get this thing pushed through.

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6?filter=top&page=3

Thanks for voting if you do. :)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 7:21 PM

I like having the manuals in addition to the Udemy & LearnLogos videos. Instant access to a specific topic is possible. 

The new manuals have 572 pages and 572 colour images! That sounds like a high quality production to me.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 7:33 PM

Super.Tramp:

I like having the manuals in addition to the Udemy & LearnLogos videos. Instant access to a specific topic is possible. 

The new manuals have 572 pages and 572 colour images! That sounds like a high quality production to me.

Thanks a lot, Matthew, for making me rethink this. Wink   It is a lot of material and could be very helpful as a handy resource. I will say that if you're going to purchase this, now is the time.

Rick--under the heading of "double-minded man," I cancelled a couple of inexpensive community-priced items about to ship and reordered the pre-pub MP manuals.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 7:43 PM

Bill Moore:
I will say that if you're going to purchase this, now is the time.
I agree. Free shipping on Pre-Pub. Later it will cost a small fortune to ship.

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 7:45 PM

Super.Tramp:

Bill Moore:

Not to mention an extra $15 after they start shipping on Monday.

Posts 1569
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 8:14 PM

Bill Moore:

Rick--under the heading of "double-minded man," I cancelled a couple of inexpensive community-priced items about to ship and reordered the pre-pub MP manuals.

You're being too hard on yourself, Bill.  Don't think of it as double-minded.  Think of it as two heads being better than one!  GeekedGeeked

But whatever it is, you have company.  Smile

Posts 1569
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 8:29 PM

Sanford Helmuth:

If you haven't voted in Logos Uservoice, you can vote for a user manual that would come along with a base package automatically.

Thanks for voting if you do. :)

Done!  Although I did waffle just a bit before casting my vote.  Why?  Two reasons.  1) I'm pretty gung-ho about the things that already had my votes.  2)  Knowing how I'll feel if I buy the manuals in question only to learn that due to all the complaints about them not being included with package purchases, Faithlife does a 180 and decides to provide them.  I know... that's pretty sad.  Embarrassed

Posts 1569
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 8:36 PM

Bill Moore:

Super.Tramp:

Bill Moore:

Not to mention an extra $15 after they start shipping on Monday.

Yeeeup!  Those are the things that made me bite.  I figured if I got them at the pre-pub price and didn't like them, I'd be disappointed.  But... I also knew that if I bought them later at full price plus shipping, and didn't like them, I'd be more than disappointed.  Tongue Tied  

Posts 19361
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 9:21 PM

Thanks, everyone. I had not even considered buying this, but several of you have convinced me to go for it.

For anyone else like me who was wishing someone had posted the link to it, here you go:

https://www.logos.com/product/49668/logos-6-training-manual-volumes-1-and-2 

Posts 1569
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 9:42 PM

Rosie Perera:

Thanks, everyone. I had not even considered buying this, but several of you have convinced me to go for it.

For anyone else like me who was wishing someone had posted the link to it, here you go:

https://www.logos.com/product/49668/logos-6-training-manual-volumes-1-and-2 

Sorry, Rosie--I should have thought of that.  Guess my manners are in need of a little polishing.  Embarrassed

The only thing I can say in my defense is that providing a link didn't occur to me on account of the fact that having doubts/second thoughts about my own order is what prompted the thread.  But if you, Bill, and Super.Tramp (Matthew?) are on board, I figure leaving the order in place has got to be the right move.  So thanks, everyone--I'm sold!  Yes

Posts 68
Graeme Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2015 3:31 AM

Short answer to your question...In my opinion, Yes they do.

The manuals provide instant and easily accessible and very helpful info on specific topics. I have found LL to be very helpful and very thorough.  I have not tried MP Video training due to cost and the inabiity to download, meaning the shipping to the UK cost make it far too expensive for my wallet. 

The Udemy course at $6 (on discount) is very good value as an introduction, and you have lifetime access to new teaching videos.

Free shipping to the UK!! in pre-pub is a fantastic deal on these manuals!

Posts 19361
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2015 4:30 AM

Rick Ausdahl:

Sorry, Rosie--I should have thought of that.  Guess my manners are in need a little polishing.  Embarrassed

The only thing I can say in my defense is that providing a link didn't occur to me on account of the fact that having doubts/second thoughts about my own order is what prompted the thread.

Don't feel badly about it. I wasn't trying to shame anyone. Just wanted to provide the link. We all are prone to forgetting from time to time. Often it's someone later on in a thread who thinks to do it, not the first poster. But nobody had yet, so I piped in. That's all I was saying. Not trying to blame anyone else further up the thread for being remiss.

Posts 1569
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2015 6:54 AM

Rosie Perera:

Don't feel badly about it. I wasn't trying to shame anyone. 

I know you weren't--I was just having a little fun.  I'm really glad you posted the link.  I hope others catch it before the deal expires.

Posts 1569
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2015 7:12 AM

Graeme Adams:

Short answer to your question...In my opinion, Yes they do.

The manuals provide instant and easily accessible and very helpful info on specific topics. I have found LL to be very helpful and very thorough.  I have not tried MP Video training due to cost and the inabiity to download, meaning the shipping to the UK cost make it far too expensive for my wallet. 

The Udemy course at $6 (on discount) is very good value as an introduction, and you have lifetime access to new teaching videos.

Free shipping to the UK!! in pre-pub is a fantastic deal on these manuals!

Thanks for weighing in, Graeme.  I'm looking forward to giving them a try.

Regarding the Udemy course, can you elaborate a little on the lifetime access to new teaching videos?  Since the course covers Logos 5 & 6, I assume the new teaching videos are limited to Logos 5 & 6, but I'm unclear as to the reason for and nature of these new videos.  Since Logos 5 & 6 basics are covered in the original course videos, are the new videos mainly about additional tips and tricks that Danny typically provides later at no charge?  

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2015 7:23 AM

The user manual link appears not to be working everyone  ?????

Posts 1569
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2015 8:33 AM

JoshInRI:

The user manual link appears not to be working everyone  ?????

I tried it yesterday and it worked.  I just tried it again and it worked.  I have had trouble in general this morning though with the Logos website.  E.g. One time I couldn't access Logos.com at all.  I also had a few other occasions trying to link to resources listed in the March Madness lists that didn't work.  My guess is either the Logos website is having problems or is simply not able to handle the volume of hits it's getting this morning. 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2015 7:31 PM

Rick Ausdahl:
Since Logos 5 & 6 basics are covered in the original course videos, are the new videos mainly about additional tips and tricks that Danny typically provides later at no charge?  

Lifetime access to the course means you will have access to any new lessons Danny may add to the course. Whether that be newly covered features, tricks, or search methods. Even if nothing ever gets added I think the course is a great deal with that coupon.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS