Add Zotero Like Capabilities to Logos

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 18 2015 8:22 AM

With the ever expanding Logos library there is less and less reason to read print and other eBook formats, as a result I spend 90% plus of my time in Logos when I am doing research. However, it is still necessary to read some books in other formats. I would like to suggest the following additions:

1. Adding “Non-Logos” books to “My Library”. Of course the book itself is not added, but the bibliographic information is. It would be great if we could import this information off the internet like Zotero can. As an added bonus add a field which points to the location of this work, for example (on my Kindle, in my study selves, in the seminary library, etc.).
  2. Add the ability to link to this bibliographic data in clippings. This why you can use clippings as an electronic note card and if you choose to use the quotation you typed into a clippings card the proper reference information will be automatically inserted into your document as if it were a Logos book.

Perhaps others could add to these suggestions, but I think it is clear that this would be a great help to many people.

Posts 9936
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 9:31 AM

At first blush, the suggestion seems ... well, radical.

But it's an excellent idea for both users and Logos.

- Most? users have physical books, Kindle books, PDFs, etc and it's not easy keeping track.  I have bought books in 2 formats by accident (getting so young).  And some of my Kindles I eventually want to re-buy in Logos.

- But the benefit to Logos is more interesting.  It'd be a marketing dream come true!  Obviously there's conversion deals. Then there's books people have but Logos doesn't ... recent buys, etc. Then there's data mining for new markets. That is even more useful.

If I were Logos, I'd have intro'd this a ways back.  Really good idea.

Posts 456
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 9:56 AM

I would really love this idea!

Posts 1880
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 11:41 AM

Keith Larson:

• Adding “Non-Logos” books to “My Library”. Of course the book itself is not added, but the bibliographic information is. It would be great if we could import this information off the internet like Zotero can. As an added bonus add a field which points to the location of this work, for example (on my Kindle, in my study selves, in the seminary library, etc.).
  • Add the ability to link to this bibliographic data in clippings. This why you can use clippings as an electronic note card and if you choose to use the quotation you typed into a clippings card the proper reference information will be automatically inserted into your document as if it were a Logos book.

I'm sure this has been suggested before (I might even have done it). There was another fairly recent post that specifically mentioned Zotero. This would be a huge help in keeping all relevant research and citation information in a single system that "knows" the syntax of citations, references, bibliography, etc. It should allow for all the different resource types as found in, for example, Turabian.

Donnie

Posts 821
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 3:27 PM

Keith Larson:

With the ever expanding Logos library there is less and less reason to read print and other eBook formats, as a result I spend 90% plus of my time in Logos when I am doing research. However, it is still necessary to read some books in other formats. I would like to suggest the following additions:

1. Adding “Non-Logos” books to “My Library”. Of course the book itself is not added, but the bibliographic information is. It would be great if we could import this information off the internet like Zotero can. As an added bonus add a field which points to the location of this work, for example (on my Kindle, in my study selves, in the seminary library, etc.).
  2. Add the ability to link to this bibliographic data in clippings. This why you can use clippings as an electronic note card and if you choose to use the quotation you typed into a clippings card the proper reference information will be automatically inserted into your document as if it were a Logos book.

Perhaps others could add to these suggestions, but I think it is clear that this would be a great help to many people.

I'd certainly support this, so long as it would support all the data types that Zotero does, and allow use of CSL to tailor the citation and bibliographic format. I am studying at a college that uses a modified version of Chicago Manual of Style, so wrote a Zotero stylesheet to accommodate it. I've always used Zotero for academic citations and bibliographies, as I've never been able to accomplish the whole job in Logos. In particular, I think it would need to accommodate the following types of resource for citation: 

• Web pages and blogs
  • Podcasts
  • Allow importing, searching and retrieval of pdf copies of journal articles in the way Zotero does.
  • Cater properly for citations of books with multiple contributors.
  • Ability to cite lectures and other non-published sources. 

Edit: It might be time for a uservoice suggestion on this one. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 212
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 2:31 AM

Let Logos do what Logos does best. Let Zotero do what Zotero does best.

So, instead of implementing Zotero-like features in Logos, I would recommend implementing a sort of synchronization option, which automatically adds all your Logos books to Zotero, and keeps them updated if the meta-data changes.

Posts 2983
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 8:10 AM

Simon:

Let Logos do what Logos does best. Let Zotero do what Zotero does best.

So, instead of implementing Zotero-like features in Logos, I would recommend implementing a sort of synchronization option, which automatically adds all your Logos books to Zotero, and keeps them updated if the meta-data changes.

Why not integrate it into the already existing Bibliography feature in Logos?

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS