Recommended Commentaries for my Library would you all for me?

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 19
Rickey Lamphere | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 26 2015 3:20 AM

Dear Sirs/Ma'ams,

I am trying to build a well rounded library. So far I have Logos 4, and Logos 5 Diamond. I also have recommendations of the following list of commentaries from the Logos 5 forum group; 

1) Nicot/Nicon     2) Baker Exegetical  3) Pillar  4) Tyndale  5) NIV Application old/new  6) Bible Speaks Today

7) Dale Ralph Davis  8) Socio-rhetorical  9) Expositors Bible  10) Keil & Delitzsch  11) Westminster Bible

12) Nigtc  13) World Biblical Commentary

is there any others that you would suggest for me? I dont know Greek but am willing to learn. I am starting college courses this summer to hopefully obtain a degree in Ministry!

Thank You In Advance, Rickey Lamphere

Posts 550
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 3:27 AM

You should already have Pillar and Keil & Delitzsch in your library if you have Diamond.  Of the others you list, I would suggest NICOT/NICNT.

Posts 113
Mark Prim | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 4:07 AM
See if this helps...http://bestcommentaries.com/ they do a pretty job ranking commentaries and will show you what is available in Logos.
Posts 113
Mark Prim | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 4:08 AM
http://bestcommentaries.com/
Posts 212
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 4:16 AM

I would recommend NICOT/NICNT first, and Baker Exegetical next. For me, the Baker Exegetical Commentary is my preferred series. The only downside is, that the series isn't complete at the moment.

BTW: Baker Exegetical Commentary is on sale this month.

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 4:31 AM

I would also look at the purpose of each commentary set.  If you get 1 and 2, then 5 might give you the application portion on which the others don't necessarily focus.  There are also no critical or "liberal" commentary sets listed (I hate those labels), so I would look at getting Hermeneia when it goes on sale.  Those commentaries are often stronger concerning the literary aspects of the text, and they will provide a point of view that will challenge you to think in ways that you won't if you buy all commentaries with which you agree.  Collins on Daniel in the series is one of the highest ranked by most standards.  It also really depends on your budget.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 79
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 8:35 AM

I echo the above...but would add that it depends on what purpose you want to use them for.  If you are more academically oriented then NICOT/NT and Word Biblical Commentary would be the best choices (assuming money is no object).  I would love to have NICOT/NT but haven't been able to justify the price yet...as a Bible translator I used Word Biblical Commentary and the Expositors Bible Commentary all the time.  As a pastor, I tend to use NIGTC, BEC and the NIV Application (and some that aren't mentioned).  I would say for the price, your number 8 choice is a good one for providing a different perspective...especially if you are looking at the whole book and not just focusing on a particular passage.  If money does matter (as it does for most of us) and given that you don't know Greek...if I were to buy just one set of the above...I would probably go with the Expositors Bible Commentary...for the money, it is hard to do better for an all around good series that isn't too technical.

Posts 20
David Roth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 10:02 AM

Concordia Commentary series, Concordia Publishing House.   It is written from a Lutheran perspective, so you may or may not agree with certain conclusions.  But it shows thoughtful exegesis, and brings a new perspective.  Even when we don't use a new perspective, hearing one helps to prompt our own thinking process.

Posts 1783
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 10:11 AM

Mark Prim:
http://bestcommentaries.com/

http://bestcommentaries.com

Mark, good link, but better if you put a space after the link to make it active Big Smile

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 1783
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 10:15 AM

Rickey Lamphere:

Dear Sirs/Ma'ams,

I am trying to build a well rounded library. So far I have Logos 4, and Logos 5 Diamond. I also have recommendations of the following list of commentaries from the Logos 5 forum group; 

1) Nicot/Nicon     2) Baker Exegetical  3) Pillar  4) Tyndale  5) NIV Application old/new  6) Bible Speaks Today

7) Dale Ralph Davis  8) Socio-rhetorical  9) Expositors Bible  10) Keil & Delitzsch  11) Westminster Bible

12) Nigtc  13) World Biblical Commentary

is there any others that you would suggest for me? I dont know Greek but am willing to learn. I am starting college courses this summer to hopefully obtain a degree in Ministry!

Thank You In Advance, Rickey Lamphere

I would add the following which is on sale at the moment for $49.95, 69% off  https://www.logos.com/product/4233/bakers-new-testament-commentary 

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 3659
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 10:25 AM

I've found a lot of useful suggestions to help me evaluate Logos purchases at: http://www.bestcommentaries.com/topcommentaries/ 

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 640
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 10:42 AM

Rickey,

Since you stated your intention of starting college this summer, you might consider holding off until you qualify for an academic discount. Occasionally, Logos runs a sale that is priced lower than the academic price. 

What commentary set you prefer will be influenced by your theological framework. For example, if you believe that God's Word should not be interpreted under the less of any theological system (Dispensationalism, Calvinism, etc.) you will probably find exegetical commentaries more attractive as your concern would be with what the text says and not what a theological system forces the Scripture to conform to. Just beware that exegetical commentaries will not be 100% free of biases.

My favorite commentaries are Word Biblical Commentary, New International Commentary, and most exegetical commentaries. I encourage you to focus on what the text says —the grammatical and contextual method. This includes how the original audience would have understood it.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 11:19 AM

Into Grace has provided sage Godly wisdom....I was blessed by it too.

Posts 640
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 11:48 AM

JoshInRI:

Praise Jesus Christ. 

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 12:11 PM

Into Grace:
focus on what the text says —the grammatical and contextual method. This includes how the original audience would have understood it.

Yes

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 58
Anthony Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 27 2015 12:09 AM

I would recommend NICOT/NICNT or the Word Biblical.  The NICOT/NT commentaries offer great depth and are consistently thorough.  The Word Biblical is along the same lines, though it has an application/devotional element for most passages that is useful for pastors.  Both are also pretty conservative in the evangelical world.  

The other commentaries on your list are good (e.g. Pillar, NIGTC, and Baker), but they're not as consistent.  Not all commentaries in a series are created equal.  

If you can splurge, the Hermeneia series is awesome and provides a more moderate/liberal perspective (in some cases) that may balance having a Word Biblical or NICOT/NT in your library.  

Posts 787
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 27 2015 8:38 AM

Into Grace:

JoshInRI:

Praise Jesus Christ. 

Always Yes

Posts 887
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 27 2015 9:18 AM

I would recommend the books "New Testament Commentary Survey" and "Old Testament Commentary Survey." I have them in kindle, but I think they are also available in Logos (although this particular title is not a value-add for me in Logos). They provide detailed reviews of lots of commentaries from an evangelical perspective. Especially if you are looking to build a library based on books (more expensive if you end up buying most of a series anyway, much less expensive if you don't). I use it in a rather large library to narrow down the books I use for my study, so I can see which entries in a series should be prioritized and which ones should not.

Posts 263
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 27 2015 3:25 PM

Rickey,

For less than $600, you can get the original Expositor's Bible Commentary and the Tyndale Commentaries. That would likely be the most "bang for your buck" in that they are solid resources that cover the whole Bible. Are they the best commentary sets?  No. But they are two very solid resources that cover every book of the Bible. That being said, I agree with some of the other commenters here that the NICOT/NICNT is probably the best overall commentary series out there. However, cost is a big issue there. I have an extensive library and I have gotten the whole set yet. I have bought single volumes for books I am studying. The Word Biblical Commentary is available every day for $700 from Logos and it is an excellent value - somewhat technical, great for backgrounds, word studies, etc. Some volumes have excellent devotional/sermon insight while some do not. Hope this helps!

Posts 263
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 27 2015 3:29 PM

One more thought, for a "well rounded library" don't overlook excellent dictionaries. Get the IVP Dictionary series and the ISBE to complement the Baker dictionaries you already have.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS