Why no Mounce Grammar or Morphology in Zondervan titles?

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 22 2010 7:55 AM

I am surprised that with the breakthrough deal with Zondervan two of their most helpful titles for Greek students are apparently not available.

Of course that would be:

• Mounce, William D. Basics of Biblical Greek.
  • Mounce, William D. The Morphology of Biblical Greek.

His Greek for the Rest of Us would be helpful also.

I would add them to the Requested Resource page on the Wiki but their exclusion begs for an explanation.

Perhaps I have missed finding them in all the Zondervan stuff?

If I haven't missed these, is there a reason for their absence among the Zondervan titles?

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 8:34 AM

My guess is that this first group of Zondervan titles was announced before the 3rd edition of BBG was completed (Dec. 2009) and it will be included in the second wave. Another possibility it that it was a part of one of Zondervan's old Pradis collections and Zondervan is not wanting the thunder to be stolen from the new Logos based packages when they are announced.

Posts 376
Dan Sheppard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 6:11 PM

P. Keith Larson:
My guess is that this first group of Zondervan titles was announced before the 3rd edition of BBG was completed (Dec. 2009) and it will be included in the second wave. Another possibility it that it was a part of one of Zondervan's old Pradis collections and Zondervan is not wanting the thunder to be stolen from the new Logos based packages when they are announced.

I know that the BBG is available (Kindle) and so that means the product is available in digital.

So I suspect that it is forthcoming, perhaps when Zondervan does all their stuff (at once), as opposed to doing it piecemeal.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 8:24 PM

Dan Sheppard:

P. Keith Larson:

I know that the BBG is available (Kindle) and so that means the product is available in digital.

So I suspect that it is forthcoming, perhaps when Zondervan does all their stuff (at once), as opposed to doing it piecemeal.

Most newer books come to Logos in digital format, but it takes time to tag them up to the Logos standard. In addition, Zondervan may not want all their resources that Logos is currently working on to be available for download, some of their titles may be reserved for release initially in their new boxed products. Their old Greek/Hebrew collection featured the Mounce products, it only makes sense for their new one to do the same.

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 10:15 PM

P. Keith Larson:

Most newer books come to Logos in digital format, but it takes time to tag them up to the Logos standard. In addition, Zondervan may not want all their resources that Logos is currently working on to be available for download, some of their titles may be reserved for release initially in their new boxed products. Their old Greek/Hebrew collection featured the Mounce products, it only makes sense for their new one to do the same.

Is there a new Greek/Hebrew collection that is forthcoming?

That is what i expected but have not been able to find (on Logos or Zondervan sites).

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 12:35 AM

Dan Sheppard:

I just checked with Amazon and it says "Preorder with 1-Click" and "This title will be auto-delivered to your Kindle on February 1, 2019.Indifferent

I wonder what's up?  A typo perhaps?

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 6:28 AM

Russ Quinn:

Is there a new Greek/Hebrew collection that is forthcoming?

That is what i expected but have not been able to find (on Logos or Zondervan sites).

This is just a guess on my part. I am sure you noticed as you were reading the Zondervan site that all indications are they are planning some type of boxed product. While it is probable that there will be revisions to the continents of their new collections, I would think they would match fairly closely their current Pradis and Accordance collections. In my mind their Greek/Hebrew collection is by far their most attractive current collection. I am sure they realize that these books + some of the new features of L4 would make a very compelling entry product to sell to Bible college and seminary students. Once they get students to purchase this collection, it will be much easier to get them to purchase other collections.

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 7:34 AM

P. Keith Larson:

This is just a guess on my part. I am sure you noticed as you were reading the Zondervan site that all indications are they are planning some type of boxed product. While it is probable that there will be revisions to the continents of their new collections, I would think they would match fairly closely their current Pradis and Accordance collections. In my mind their Greek/Hebrew collection is by far their most attractive current collection. I am sure they realize that these books + some of the new features of L4 would make a very compelling entry product to sell to Bible college and seminary students. Once they get students to purchase this collection, it will be much easier to get them to purchase other collections.

I think you are probably right.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 8:56 AM

P. Keith Larson:
While it is probable that there will be revisions to the continents of their new collections,

So we see a Continental Divide between Zondervan & Mounce? Or maybe just a Continental Drift? 
(Sorry Keith. It segwayed so well. Wink )

Mounce has his own website now and provides free Greek lessons to homeschoolers and other support in educating native ministers around the world. I doubt Zondervan likes to see somebody giving away potential profits. My guess is the licensing agreement on Mounce's work did not cover republishing in third party formats. And since I cannot be right all of the time, I am probably wrong just this once. Devil

Dan Sheppard -- As far as the releasing everything together: I can't imagine things being any more piecemeal than having every single title listed in Pre-Pub separately. There IS a good reason to have both an all-encompassing collection and individual titles in Pre-Pub. Many times Logos will release individual titles as they are completed without waiting on the whole collection release date.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 10:27 AM

P. Keith Larson:

In my mind their Greek/Hebrew collection is by far their most attractive current collection. I am sure they realize that these books + some of the new features of L4 would make a very compelling entry product to sell to Bible college and seminary students.

I sure hope they realize this!

In my opinion having Mounce's morphology integrated in L4 is the most intriguing benefit of a relationship with Zondervan.

Okay, I realize that might be a bit of an overstatement. But not much.

That volume has been one of the most helpful books I have ever read to really understanding how Greek works.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 10:30 AM

Matthew C Jones:
Mounce has his own website now and provides free Greek lessons to homeschoolers and other support in educating native ministers around the world. I doubt Zondervan likes to see somebody giving away potential profits.

I don't think there is any continental divide between Zondervan and Mounce as regards to his web site, there is just a change in the contents of the third edition vs. the second edition. The second edition included a CD with all the interactive stuff and the third edition includes links to the teknia web site. Zondervan must be OK with this our they would not have so prominently displayed it in the upper right hand cover of both the third edition text and workbook. Mounce's web site is great and I am sure Zondervan is all for it. The added bonus the teknia.com web site brings has to make BBG an even more attractive text for teachers and professors. I am going to use it next year when I start teaching my homeschooled highschooler Greek for this very reason.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 10:31 AM

Russ Quinn:
That volume has been one of the most helpful books I have ever read to really understanding how Greek works.

I agree 100%.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 12:36 PM

P. Keith Larson:
Zondervan must be OK with this our they would not have so prominently displayed it in the upper right hand cover of both the third edition text and workbook

I didn't know they did that. I guess I was wrong about them (Like I said I would be "And since I cannot be right all of the time, I am probably wrong just this once.") But saying that makes me right, again...Smile Now I can post another 900+ bold statements without worry.

P. Keith Larson:
I am going to use it next year when I start teaching my homeschooled highschooler Greek for this very reason.

I found it last year and am very impressed with the website. Mounce is continuing his legacy of excellence.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 376
Dan Sheppard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 3:12 PM

Amy Leung:

I just checked with Amazon and it says "Preorder with 1-Click" and "This title will be auto-delivered to your Kindle on February 1, 2019.Indifferent

I wonder what's up?  A typo perhaps?

I LOVE when they do that!

Actually, I have occasionally found an error in their dates, for some reason. 

I am looking right now at my Kindle and it shows "Basics of Biblical Greek" grammar, William D Mouncy, Second edition.

But you are right, in that when I check the Amazon site, MY QUERY brought only this:

Mounce's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, but the photo is of Zondervan Handbook to the Bible!!!!!

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 6:24 PM

Good for you, you got it in the small window that it was available!  Actually I have it in my Kindle too - I scanned the whole book into PDF to be able to carry it with me, however PDF rendering is very slow and non-searchable and hard to navigate on the Kindle, so I'm really looking forward to the Kindle edition.

Looks like I've to wait till Feb 1, 2019 to have the Mounce on the Kindle (hopefully earlier with Logos Wink).

Posts 1
John Feet | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 12:17 PM

Well the published the Grammar but as of Aug 18th, 2010 they massacred the greek font on the kindle so badly I would not buy it. The publishers need to fix this immediately and reissue to buyers. There are just too many font errors. The greek font did not make it over very well in the conversion to the Kindle and it is just a mess.

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 12 2010 7:44 PM

New Zondervan bundles but still no hint of the most helpful Zondervan titles for the study of the Greek New Testament?!?

So much potential for Mounce's Morphology to be linked in the Logos library . . .

Posts 688
Robert Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 26 2011 1:49 PM

Ya this doesn't make any sense it is in accordance and in Olive Tree!

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 26 2011 2:08 PM

I agree 100 percent that it should be available in Logos. As it is, I am taking Greek this term for my program. Yes, we are using all Mounce products.. BBG, workbook, Get an A sheet.. greek cards, his audio cd.. and on top of it all we have to join Mounce's website and watch his lectures. Be nice to have all that stuff tagged to my bible software.

Posts 904
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 26 2011 2:09 PM

Matthew Hamrick:

I agree 100 percent that it should be available in Logos. As it is, I am taking Greek this term for my program. Yes, we are using all Mounce products.. BBG, workbook, Get an A sheet.. greek cards, his audio cd.. and on top of it all we have to join Mounce's website and watch his lectures. Be nice to have all that stuff tagged to my bible software.

As a quick aside, his website ROCKS!

"I read dead people..."

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS