Surface 3

Page 3 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 73 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 431
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 2:08 PM

Linval, your reports are helpful. Thanks!

So far, two of the most in depth reviews can be found at Notebookcheck and Anandtech. For my purposes, it looks like storage speed would be the biggest bottleneck. Also, charge times might prove too slow for some users.

Edit: It should be noted that Anandtech reviewed the cheaper model with 64gb of storage and 2gb RAM.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 2:16 PM

That's excellent if it takes somewhat long to charge it!! I'm thrilled! It means less wear on the battery. What's still interesting is whether the battery can be changed when it's completely used up. I will never afford this tablet PC new though, and for at least about 3 years I won't afford it used either:

Adam Olean:
Also, charge times might prove too slow for some users.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 39
Linval London | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 2:20 PM

2635 items

Posts 431
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 2:27 PM

Steve:

R. Mansfield:

New in-depth Ars Technica review of the Surface 3:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/surface-3-review-smaller-slower-cheaper-better/

Active link:  http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/surface-3-review-smaller-slower-cheaper-better/

....  although the benchmarks seem to help make the case for the iPad Air 2 ....

The Ars Technica review was quite good! It appears, however, that some of the benchmarks may have gotten a bit skewed. See this discussion: Surface 3 vs. Bay Trail - The Comparison That Everybody Wanted & Nobody Did!

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 2:30 PM

I'd be very interested to know how the Surface 3 (mine came in today) compares to the new retina MacBook. 

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 2:31 PM

Adam Olean:

So far, two of the most in depth reviews can be found at Notebookcheck and Anandtech. For my purposes, it looks like storage speed would be the biggest bottleneck. Also, charge times might prove too slow for some users.

The Notebookcheck link is to a July 2014 Surface Pro 3 review.

Posts 431
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 2:41 PM

Steve:

Adam Olean:

Sorry about that! I had the right one, but then it looks like I got them mixed up. It should be fixed now.

Posts 753
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 3:07 PM

can you install more ram? Ram is pretty cheap

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 3:08 PM

Josh Hunt:

can you install more ram? Ram is pretty cheap

Nope. Better get the one with 4 GB because it can't be upgraded later. 

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 3:27 PM

Adam Olean:

Steve:

Adam Olean:

Sorry about that! I had the right one, but then it looks like I got them mixed up. It should be fixed now.

I think there is still an issue with the link ... at least I am unable to get it to work.  Is this the article to which you are referring?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-Surface-3-Tablet-First-Impressions.141116.0.html

Posts 431
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 4:10 PM

Steve:

Adam Olean:

Steve:

Adam Olean:

I think there is still an issue with the link ... at least I am unable to get it to work.  Is this the article to which you are referring?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-Surface-3-Tablet-First-Impressions.141116.0.html

Hey Steve,

This time the link should definitely be working. I think the problem, at least this time, was with Microsoft's Project Spartan browser, which is currently in beta. This is actually the second time I've run into a problem attaching multiple links to text and/or trying to subsequently edit them. Anyway, I reported the problem to Microsoft, so I am sure they'll fix it sooner or later.

Edit: I'll post the URL here as well: http://www.notebookcheck.net/index.php?id=141116 

Posts 39
Linval London | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 6:49 AM

R. Mansfield:

I'd be very interested to know how the Surface 3 (mine came in today) compares to the new retina MacBook. 

How have you found your Surface 3?  Is the Logos operation about what you expected?

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 7:09 AM

Linval London:

R. Mansfield:

How have you found your Surface 3?  Is the Logos operation about what you expected?

Good question.  I'm also looking forward to Kevin Purcell's review.  Hopefully in the next few days.

Posts 59
Chris Gardner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 8:56 AM

I am really looking forward to hearing about it as well. 

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 9:08 AM

I just loaded up my Surface 3 and it took forever to install Logos 6. ** Remember you need to change the time out settings otherwise the tablet will shut down and you will think it is still loading.**  I know first hand. Embarrassed

I just started indexing the library, it is a slow process.

I have been running an Apple Air2 and it was limited because it ran the Logos App. 

I am hopping my 128GB SSD and 4GB RAM Surface 3 will be adequate...

Posts 276
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 9:14 AM

MJD:

I have been running an Apple Air2 and it was limited because it ran the Logos App.

Is there problems with the Air 2? Or do you just mean limited in the sense of tablet limitations?

Retina MacBook Pro, 2013, iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum. Gold: Orthodox. Bronze: Lutheran. Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 9:14 AM

My Surface 3 has been indexing for more than 24 hours :-(

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 10:41 AM

David Wanat:

MJD:

Is there problems with the Air 2? Or do you just mean limited in the sense of tablet limitations?

For clarification, I think you mean iPad Air2.  If that is what you meant to type it's not the same.  The iOS app and the desktop app are separate things.  Now, if you intended to say Apple MacBook Air then that would be different since they would both be the desktop app.

?

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 10:45 AM

iPad Air2 ran off of the app and was limited because of the app's limitations. Yes

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 12:47 PM

Thanks for clarifying which device you were talking about.  Smile

Page 3 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS