Surface 3

Page 4 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 73 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 2677
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 4:56 PM

I've installed Logos 6 on the Surface 3. After doing the quick install that shouldn't require an indexing or downloading Logos indexed anyway.  It took about 8 hours, which is clearly not a full  indexing.

It takes a full minute to launch and every action comes with a delay or lag of a second at least. Sometimes it's more like 2 or 3 seconds.

I can use Logos, but it's kind of painful.

By comparison all of the other programs I use run fast and smooth.

Posts 278
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 7:32 PM

Thanks for the review. This may sound like it falls into the "Why would you want to do that?" category, but how does the reading mode compare to the typical tablet (Android iPad) reading?

Retina MacBook Pro, 2013, iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum. Gold: Orthodox. Bronze: Lutheran. Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 8:18 PM

I am frustrated with the performance of my 4GB RAM Surface3, I like my iOS app better at this point.  Very clunky.  Death of an expectation!😫

Posts 278
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 8:22 PM

Sorry it turned out badly for you. I think, based on what I am hearing, I'll look into other options besides the Surface 3

Retina MacBook Pro, 2013, iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum. Gold: Orthodox. Bronze: Lutheran. Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 483
Gary Butner, Th.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 8:44 PM

I spent a long time investigating the various laptops, and  decided to go with the Surface pro 3 or  Samsung Np940x3g K04US - Low Prices Great Service Selection.  I settled on the Samsung.

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 10:52 PM

I've been thinking about this same decision and I think if I were to go for the Surface 3 (which sounds nicer in some respects) I'd only use it to connect remotely to my home computer which I could run Logos on. I wouldn't try to run Logos natively on the Surface 3. I might end up deciding to go this route. I already have a laptop which runs Logos pretty well, so I don't need a laptop replacement.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 3:45 AM

Rosie Perera:

I've been thinking about this same decision and I think if I were to go for the Surface 3 (which sounds nicer in some respects) I'd only use it to connect remotely to my home computer which I could run Logos on.

That's an interesting approach.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 3:48 AM

MJD:

I am frustrated with the performance of my 4GB RAM Surface3, I like my iOS app better at this point.  Very clunky.  Death of an expectation!😫

Bummer.  I guess if I needed something ultra portable for running Office I would think more about getting one, but I already have a low-end laptop that can do all of that.  Not ultra portable, but functional.  Maybe I'll look at the Surface Pro more closely.  Thanks for the report.

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 6:56 AM

Rosie Perera:
I'd only use it to connect remotely to my home computer which I could run Logos on.
Strange approach. That totally negates the main function the Windows tablets can laud over the other options. ...The ability to have an ultra portable copy of ones library available off the grid. I am disappointed that they are asking so much money for a unit that apparently gives little improvement over the earlier Atom offerings. I will hang on to the Dell Venue 8 Pro till something better comes down the pike. i still maintain the market is there. I use the Dell every week for a Bible study group. It is totally functional in that setting.

Posts 124
Mark Ziebold | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 7:33 AM

Surface pro 3 runs it beautifully.  Never any issue with performance and indexing occurs in a fraction of the time as compared to my laptop.  

Posts 2677
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 10:13 AM

I don't think remote control of a desktop running Logos 6 would be any faster than Logos 6 on Surface 3. Only reason to do that would be to keep from downloading a full library, which Logos really needs to fix.

• customers want to limit downloads
  • speeds up the install/index process
  • reduces the burden on their servers

The only drawback is the coding which is likely the issue. They're trying to go in so many directions I'm sure it's hard to do all they want and we want to do that they'd be willing to do.

Posts 97
Greg Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 10:15 AM

Mark Ziebold:

Surface pro 3 runs it beautifully.  Never any issue with performance and indexing occurs in a fraction of the time as compared to my laptop.  

I have the same experience on the i3 sp3. 

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 9:53 PM

Paul C:
i still maintain the market is there. I use the Dell every week for a Bible study group. It is totally functional in that setting.

I concur.

The Atom based WinBook tablet I picked up, thanks to a notice in another earlier thread, does not handle logos like my Core2Duo 2010 MacBook Air which in turn handles Logos less well than my Quad Core i7 Dell. All fill the role I've given them, though lightweight versions of the desktop applications would perhaps help sweeten things. It seems to me that trimming some of the features might be easier than developing a new application - though not as ideal.

Kevin has succinctly stated the features that need to be added to the existing desktop applications in order to begin to meet the needs of many users.

"The Christian mind is the prerequisite of Christian thinking. And Christian thinking is the prerequisite of Christian action." - Harry Blamires, 1963

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 9 2015 5:26 PM

Gary Butner:

I spent a long time investigating the various laptops, and  decided to go with the Surface pro 3 or  Samsung Np940x3g K04US - Low Prices Great Service Selection.  I settled on the Samsung.

Gary, if you are considering the Samsung, I would suggest also considering the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro or Yoga 3 Pro.  You can have the same specs as the Samsung but with the option to use them in tablet mode as well.  Lenovo is blowing out the Yoga 2 Pro on everyone's favorite auction site now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Yoga-2-Pro-13-3-QHD-Multi-touch-Intel-i7-8GB-RAM-256-GB-SSD-Win/151666491845?rmvSB=true

Page 4 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS