Tulip: The Five Points of Calvinism in the Light of Scripture $1.99 (Do you recommend this book?)

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 382
Sacrifice | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 4 2015 1:37 PM

We are are in good company, "And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin," (Matt 6:28). Yes

James Hiddle:

TULIP and DAISY people going to think Christianity is flowery Stick out tongue

Yours In Christ

Posts 137
Daniel Ne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 4 2015 2:15 PM

Spanish Department is not as good as English's. We always complain for more promotions and offers as English has. 

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 5 2015 3:54 AM

Wonderous Grace:
Spencer use to be a Methodist minister. He left the denomination because of its liberalism. He began a church in Texas. He was (now deceased) Reformed in his theology. The book is rather short but informative. He deals with the TULIP of Calvinism vs the 'he loves me, he loves me not,' of the daisy of Arminianism. He of course sides with Calvinism, but his approach is rather good having been on both sides of the issue. 

Believe he must have grown up on a farm, as he loves to set up straw men. He may have once held those positions, but very few true Arminians would have agreed with him. 

Perhaps I should add that I do not consider myself to be fully in ether camp, more like a modified Calvinist. I just believe that we should be fair in our analysis of other people's viewpoints.

Posts 382
Sacrifice | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 5 2015 10:36 AM

Respectfully, the book was originally published around 1979, when there were more 5 pters. Additionally, he arguing the basic historical systems, not according as many may believe today; that is the Synod of Dort (1618/19) vs. the Remostrants (1610).

There are many strains of Arm today from historic, old Wesleyanism, new Wesleyanism, and some (definitely not all) even include Open Theism, etc. They of course modify particular items in their own order of salvation, et. al.       Some other books would be that cover TULIP more completely are:  

Still Sovereign – Bruce A. Ware and Tom Schreiner

The Five Points of Calvinism – David Steele

The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination – Lorraine Boettner

Chosen by God and/or Grace Unknown – R.C. Sproul

Why I Am Not An Arminian – Robert Peterson and Michale Williams

The Doctrines of Grace – James Boice and Philip Graham Ryken

The Forgotten Spurgeon – Iain Murray

Happy Easter. 

Jack Caviness:

Wonderous Grace:
Spencer use to be a Methodist minister. He left the denomination because of its liberalism. He began a church in Texas. He was (now deceased) Reformed in his theology. The book is rather short but informative. He deals with the TULIP of Calvinism vs the 'he loves me, he loves me not,' of the daisy of Arminianism. He of course sides with Calvinism, but his approach is rather good having been on both sides of the issue. 

Believe he must have grown up on a farm, as he loves to set up straw men. He may have once held those positions, but very few true Arminians would have agreed with him. 

Perhaps I should add that I do not consider myself to be fully in ether camp, more like a modified Calvinist. I just believe that we should be fair in our analysis of other people's viewpoints.

Yours In Christ

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 5 2015 10:52 AM

Given the broader interest signalled in the last few posts, a reader interested in the debate pertaining to Calvinism may be interested in the For Calvinism and Against Calvinism collection (2 volumes) with contributions from Michael Horton and Roger Olson, both of whom offer a fair summary and introduction to their respective perspectives (in my opinion).

Blessings,

Smile

Posts 9815
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 5 2015 11:15 AM

Andy Evans:
Given the broader interest signalled in the last few posts, a reader interested in the debate pertaining to Calvinism may be interested in the For Calvinism and Against Calvinism collection (2 volumes) with contributions from Michael Horton and Roger Olson, both of whom offer a fair summary and introduction to their respective perspectives (in my opinion).

I totally agree with your opinion. I thoroughly enjoyed reading both of these books which together provide a very balanced perspective.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:16 AM

Wonderous Grace:

Thank you for this list. Am currently studying The Five Points of Calvinism by Edwin Palmer along with Whosoever Will, a collection of essays by various SBC scholars. I just added TULIP to the mix. I just wanted a clearer understanding of Calvinism by an advocate, is TULIP really representative?

Also noted N B Mick's recommendation and believe I already have those.

OOPS! Just checked, and I don't have that set—decisions, decisions Hmm

Posts 12566
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 5:23 AM

Jack Caviness:

Jack, 

I didn't give a recommendation, I just quoted from the work discussed in the OP. Or did you mean the recommendation by Andy: For & Against Calvinism? That's a good set to read.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 382
Sacrifice | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 7:24 AM

You have picked some interesting reading. TULiP is a good standard, if properly understood. However, some apply meanings to the letters that were never intended just as in the case of the DAISY that does not exactly fit every brand of Arminainism today. So these short cuts can be misunderstood at times,... But are good for their historical insights they shine upon the material.

Boettner's book is so easy to read and understand that I recommend it first followed by Ware's and Steele's books. The others are good also, but do not add that much to what is covered in these three. But they are good to and some like different author's better - just depending in the person .... Palmer's book is great. Boettner's though says it even in simpler terms IMO, but Palmer does a lot of exegesis work which is fantastic IMO. Palmer includes The Belgic Confession of Faith and the Heidelberg Catechism, which are great additions to the study of such topics. There is a lot of free materials here on the topic as well: http://thirdmill.org/magazine/

Thier RPM Magazine is free to all or just seach for your topic - just sign up. If you have any specific questions then they have a free Q&A section as well.

Jack Caviness:

Wonderous Grace:

Thank you for this list. Am currently studying The Five Points of Calvinism by Edwin Palmer along with Whosoever Will, a collection of essays by various SBC scholars. I just added TULIP to the mix. I just wanted a clearer understanding of Calvinism by an advocate, is TULIP really representative?

OOPS! Just checked, and I don't have that set—decisions, decisions Hmm

Yours In Christ

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 10:49 AM

NB.Mick:
Or did you mean the recommendation by Andy: For & Against Calvinism? That's a good set to read.

Yes, that is the one I meant. For now, think I will stick with Palmer for the 5 point position and figure that TULIP was worth just about what it cost. Geeked

Posts 30640
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 11:01 AM

Daniel Ne Landa:
Spanish Department is not as good as English's. We always complain for more promotions and offers as English has. 

The book in question is a Vyrso title. Most (but not all) of the Vyrso "deals" come as discounts that the publisher provides.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 171
Jerome Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 6:22 PM

I highly recommend this book.

I have it in the original form (I believe) as it was published by Duane Spencer himself.

I bought a large set of books/booklets by Duane Spencer in 1974.

At that time I read them thoroughly.

I listened to his radio program back then on my shortwave radio. He was a tremendous speaker. I recall writing to him and he wrote back.

I still have all those booklets immediately at hand, next to my print copy of A. T. Robertson's six or so volumes of word studies.

Duane Spencer brought out much vital truth in his program which featured his own word studies from the Greek NT written for the benefit of ordinary English readers.

Anything you can find that he wrote should prove helpful. I don't agree with any author 100% unless it is a writer in the Bible itself, but Duane Spencer is really good.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 6:31 PM

MJ. Smith:

Putting the comments of Wonderous Grace and NB Mick's post reminded me of a song by John Mooney:

"There's three side to every story
Yours mine and the whole darn truth"

(sorry, I'll not censor his language)

Speaking of songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_PLWqnfFgU

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 681
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 6:43 PM

MJ. Smith:

Putting the comments of Wonderous Grace and NB Mick's post reminded me of a song by John Mooney:

"There's three side to every story
Yours mine and the whole darn truth"

(sorry, I'll not censor his language)

Although I don't agree with the language, your point is profound.  A wise proverb states: "The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him." Proverbs 18:17 (ESV).   A Calvinist book can be convincing. But truth comes from the Word of God –a yielded spirit that reads in neutral and considers all sides to an argument. 
Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS