Page 3 of 15 (298 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 297 Replies | 18 Followers

Posts 1844
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:13 PM

I noticed that some of the data sets have a price tag, can you buy just a data set, like the Greek grammatical construction? And the one for the law?

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:13 PM

Mark Smith:
We have been told that Faithlife is planning to pursue a six week update cycle.

We've actually fulfilled the six week update cycle for the past several releases (since 6.0b), if you look at the dates the releases go "gold": https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_6_Release_Notes 

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 450
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:14 PM

Russ White:

Phil Gons:
It’s access to the future of Logos Bible Software, today.

And yet -- there is the promise that updates to the base packages will continue. So -- I'm a little confused. Is a web based app the future of logos, or... ?? If it is, then I'll stop investing now, and start working on building a library elsewhere.

Russ

For some of us that have thousands of dollars invested to date, this is crucial. I want to always have a desktop version supported. Online always can be a huge hinderance to gospel work in areas with hostile governments (now or in the future).

Posts 9097
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:15 PM

Dylan Rondeau:
We've actually fulfilled the six week update cycle for the past several releases

So if history is an predictor of the future...

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 6484
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:20 PM

Alexander:
For some of us that have thousands of dollars invested to date, this is crucial. I want to always have a desktop version supported. Online always can be a huge hinderance to gospel work in areas with hostile governments (now or in the future).

Phil has said that for the foreseeable future base packages and buy to own will continue side by side with Logos Now. Similar to the current system of rentals and purchases.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:22 PM

Mark Smith:

Dylan Rondeau:
We've actually fulfilled the six week update cycle for the past several releases

So if history is an predictor of the future...

Yes, sorry! I wasn't trying to be vague. As far as I am aware, we are planning on sticking to the six-week schedule, though I'm not involved in deciding what or when new features are added. I was merely trying to illustrate that it wasn't a philosophical thing we're looking at someday doing, but something we've already shifted to successfully.

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:22 PM

Alexander:

Russ White:

Phil Gons:

And yet -- there is the promise that updates to the base packages will continue. So -- I'm a little confused. Is a web based app the future of logos, or... ?? If it is, then I'll stop investing now, and start working on building a library elsewhere.

Russ

Yes This is one of my major concerns also.

Additionally, I'm bothered that there is no path to ownership. I have a lot invested in Logos, all the current base packages except SDA, But now I don't have access to the latest features unless I subscribe and that only gives me temporary access. Why can't I have equal access to new features and be able to own them? I have no objection to a slightly higher monthly membership fee that gave me early access, etc that also gave me full ownership up to the currently paid month.

Not real sure how I feel about this at the moment. 

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:22 PM

Lynden Williams:
...for the foreseeable future...

These words, combined with the constant drumbeat of "Logos is going cloud" for these last several years, are specifically what bothers me. Office is "cloud based," but you still download a copy that's used on your local computer. If Logos turns into "you must be connected to the Internet to use this software," then it won't be much use any longer, as far as I'm concerned.

It would be nice to know this now, before I invest another $40k and many many hours into the software.

Russ

Posts 8979
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:32 PM

Russ White:

Phil Gons:

Faithlife is committed to still provide updates to base packages. Based on that I'm going to continue to invest.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 6484
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:35 PM

Russ White:

Lynden Williams:
...for the foreseeable future...

These words, combined with the constant drumbeat of "Logos is going cloud" for these last several years, are specifically what bothers me. Office is "cloud based," but you still download a copy that's used on your local computer. If Logos turns into "you must be connected to the Internet to use this software," then it won't be much use any longer, as far as I'm concerned.

It would be nice to know this now, before I invest another $40k and many many hours into the software.

Russ

Russ, what if lets say 75 - 85 percent of Logos customers want some tyep of rental/subscription basis 20 years from now. Would it be practical to continue the current model. Not speaking for Logos, but I remember just a few years ago, when Sprint, ATT and a few other telephone operators were running ads competing against each other over .10 cents a minute weekend, and .15 centss any hour of the day.

I remember when you had to pay serious money to call overseas. Now I can call anyone using Skype and imo on my android phone. All I need to do is put their number in my mobile phone and if they have the same software and data we can talk forever. That has not changed the model of making a telephone call the regular way. Pay lots of money.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 8979
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:37 PM

Randy W. Sims:
I have a lot invested in Logos, all the current base packages except SDA, But now I don't have access to the latest features unless I subscribe and that only gives me temporary access. Why can't I have equal access to new features and be able to own them?

Logos Now just gives us early access to the features which will be available for ownership at a later time with a new version.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3665
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:38 PM

I am reminded of a line from the musical "Damn Yankees":

"What Lola wants, Lola Gets"

Except the subject has changed:

"What Logos wants, Logos gets."

Sadly, in the musical, Lola was the devil's assistant. I have not yet decided whether to hop on the "Logos Now" bandwagon.   

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 10232
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:39 PM

Well, I wish all the renters happiness, and goodspeed.

This is looking like I'll be forced to withdraw from my crossgrade addiction.  $9 per month is less than I spend on 2 sushi's. But sushi I like. Renting sushi, nope.

Posts 1691
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:39 PM

Russ (and others),

We have no intention or plan of ending support for the downloadable version. There is a huge, 20+ year investment in the downloadable technology, and it will take years to fully match that functionality on the web. Even then, there will be high value and utility in fast, offline, tech.

There is no plan to end downloadable software. Cloud based access is a complement, not a replacement.

-- Bob

Posts 8979
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:41 PM

Russ White:
If Logos turns into "you must be connected to the Internet to use this software," then it won't be much use any longer, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't believe this is the case. I believe there is still a commitment to having software that is usable off-line.

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:41 PM

Bob Pritchett:
There is no plan to end downloadable software. Cloud based access is a complement, not a replacement.

Thanks Bob...

Russ

Posts 1394
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:43 PM

Bob Pritchett:
Cloud based access is a complement, not a replacement.

Clarity = Security.

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 1691
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:45 PM

Floyd Johnson:
I am reminded of a line from the musical "Damn Yankees":

I think you've got it wrong. It's "What the users want, the users get." :-)

Many of you want one-time purchase, downloadable software with offline use. You get that now, and you'll continue to get it.

Another user -- the type who uses Pandora or Spotify instead of buying albums, who watches Netflix instead of buying DVDs, and who uses Google Docs instead of Microsoft Word -- wants everything online, in the cloud, accessible with a simple log-in from whatever device they happen to be using. We are just expanding our offerings to support these people, too.

We can and will continue to support the single-transaction, downloadable software model. It's where the majority of our customers are, and we plan to support it indefinitely.

Posts 1844
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:46 PM

Thanks Bob, for your words.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:48 PM

I would like to understand what the "Logos Web App" is, the link will not let you in unless you have a subscription but I would like to understand what it is before I consider a subscription.

Is it an alternative to a local Logos 6 installation through a web browser to the Logos servers that replicates you particular resource collection and settings?

Page 3 of 15 (298 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS