Page 6 of 8 (148 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next >
This post has 147 Replies | 16 Followers

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 1:06 AM

Super.Tramp:
But how much should Collector's Edition rent for? If it is too high nobody will subscribe. If it is very cheap nobody will ever buy it again. There is also that pesky issue of publisher's royalties.

Very good points, and I don't know the answer. But I bet the folks at Logos could figure it out. I pay $29.99 a month to Adobe to access just their InDesign software. To me that's a huge chunk of change for a subscription, but I pay it because it's valuable to me right now.

Author of the Chronological Word Truth Life Bible Series

WordTruthLifeBible.com

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 1:08 AM

David Taylor Jr:
Wouldn't mind Collectors myself ;)

Haha! Join the club! Big Smile

WordTruthLifeBible.com

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 1:10 AM

MJ. Smith:

There are a number of resources that can be rented.

I haven't checked those out. Are they individual books? If so, I know I'd be more interested in renting/subscribing for a collection rather than individual books. Is there a page of books available for rent?

WordTruthLifeBible.com

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 1:13 AM

Sorry, I just run into a rent tab now and then but haven't really watched which resources have the option https://www.logos.com/rentals should have the details.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 1:22 AM

MJ. Smith:

Sorry, I just run into a rent tab now and then but haven't really watched which resources have the option https://www.logos.com/rentals should have the details.

Awesome Thanks! Smile I own most of what's on that page and what I don't own is affordable enough to purchase. But I would be interested in renting the classic commentaries for a month or two since they're very pricey and on my wish list. That set represents my interests for a subscription....huge pricey commentary collections!

WordTruthLifeBible.com

Posts 21633
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 1:57 AM

Cynthia Tucker:
But I would be interested in renting the classic commentaries for a month or two since they're very pricey and on my wish list. That set represents my interests for a subscription....huge pricey commentary collections!

I wasn't sure from your comment whether you knew the classic set was available to rent - https://www.logos.com/product/33554/the-complete-classic-commentaries-bundle 

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 2:02 AM

Graham Criddle:
I wasn't sure from your comment whether you knew the classic set was available to rent - https://www.logos.com/product/33554/the-complete-classic-commentaries-bundle

Yes, thank you. I saw it on the rental page on the 3rd or 4th page, so now I've got that on my Logos to-do list: Rent Classic Commentaries. Big Smile

WordTruthLifeBible.com

Posts 10446
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 3:49 AM

Graham Criddle:

Good that this set is available for rent, but it needs to be broken down to individual books. Can't imagine having a need for the whole enchilada at once. I would probably  rent the Petrine epistles for a few months, but not the whole set just to get at a book or two.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 19 2015 4:11 AM

I'm not sure if there is yet enough in Logos Now that's worth $10 per month. Maybe there already is, however ...

What I am sure of is that by supporting this and seeing it grow, I'll get back much more than $10 per month in extra value from the library I have already paid for.

I have hand tools I know I own, but can't currently find. If I have one of the $20 things to adjust the widget on the bottom left of a thingy, but can't find it, its kind of the same as not having it.

In like manner, if I have some resources in my Logos library but no kind of search or lookup finds it, its rather the same as not having it. So anything that lets me find and extract from what I've already got is very important. I believe the Logos Now subscription is already or soon will be far more valuable to me than the $10.

(Now if only I could perform searches in Logos to find the tool to fix the leaky widget under the floor ...)

Posts 11
Kenneth Gardner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 4:50 AM

Bob,

I get the impression that this is beta software, kind of like "early access" in games. I could be wrong; things are not clear. The web app is the only thing in it that interests me, however, and I cannot afford to pay more on a monthly basis. My question is, since this is a beta access are there any plans for features like the web app to be available to non-subscribing users, or are we stuck with biblia.com?

Thanks,

Kenneth

Posts 2992
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 5:28 AM

Kenneth Gardner:

Bob,

I get the impression that this is beta software, kind of like "early access" in games. I could be wrong; things are not clear. The web app is the only thing in it that interests me, however, and I cannot afford to pay more on a monthly basis. My question is, since this is a beta access are there any plans for features like the web app to be available to non-subscribing users, or are we stuck with biblia.com?

Thanks,

Kenneth

The web app is beta software, yes. The other features are not.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 11
Kenneth Gardner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 7:34 PM

Thank you, David.

Posts 27249
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 8:21 PM
Kenneth Gardner:

Bob,

Thanks,

Kenneth

In addition to what David wrote: "Logos Now" should not be viewed as software (it isn't) but a service... With a growing number of benefits... Which includes early access to non-beta features as one of the benefits.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 11
Kenneth Gardner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 29 2015 4:49 AM

Thanks, Alabama. The other features don't interest me as much as the possibility of being able to use some of my favorite tools in the web app. It might well be worth it for me if I could click on a word and get a pop-up lexicon entry when reading another language (or better yet something like the info panel). That service is the main one I'm interested in, and since I'm maxed out, am hoping eventually makes its way to all users.

Posts 2992
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 29 2015 6:18 AM

Kenneth Gardner:

Thanks, Alabama. The other features don't interest me as much as the possibility of being able to use some of my favorite tools in the web app. It might well be worth it for me if I could click on a word and get a pop-up lexicon entry when reading another language (or better yet something like the info panel). That service is the main one I'm interested in, and since I'm maxed out, am hoping eventually makes its way to all users.

I suspect we are a good ways away from that.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 1188
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 29 2015 10:29 PM

Bob Pritchett:
We intend to make Logos Now such a compelling offer that you voluntarily subscribe because it's a such a good deal, even if you hate subscriptions. We plan to bribe you with goodness and value.

Ha.... This describes me. I don't like subscriptions until I saw the Systematic theology tool. When that comes out, I am in :)

Posts 650
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 30 2015 7:08 AM

"We intend to make Logos Now such a compelling offer that you voluntarily subscribe because it's a such a good deal, even if you hate subscriptions. We plan to bribe you with goodness and value.

Which pretty much says it all doesn't it.  If you've been buying your resources, don't expect the full features unless you're prepare to pay more from now on - otherwise how can they bribe you to subscribe with goodness and value?

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 27249
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 30 2015 8:10 AM

Alex Scott:
Which pretty much says it all doesn't it.  If you've been buying your resources, don't expect the full features unless you're prepare to pay more from now on - otherwise how can they bribe you to subscribe with goodness and value?

That isn't fair or accurate to what Bob has written:

1. Some features will be available in future versions via your preferred method (base package or cross grade purchase). Logos now provides advanced (subscription use) of the features while they are being built out (not "beta," but "in development").
  2. Some features will perhaps not be available for purchase because it makes more sense as a "service." Visual Copy features seem to be a good example of that. 
  3. The "bribing" can take many forms (i.e. discounts, free books, early access, etc).

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9043
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 30 2015 8:20 AM

Alex Scott:

Alex, don't forget, Faithlife is a business. They need revenue. Revenue comes from sales, subscriptions, rentals, etc. If subscriptions don't generate enough revenue, or they believe they can get even more revenue from sales or a combination of sales and subscriptions, or they can mange on just subscription income, they will make decisions based on these beliefs.

What I am saying is that nothing now is certain. Faithlife is trying some new revenue models. They may or may not generate the revenue they hope for. In the end, revenue drives the business. What they end up doing (even if contrary to Bob's current hope) will be determined by revenue not by what they'd like to accomplish. If not enough people subscribe they will have to look elsewhere for revenue or scale back the business.

I will add that personally $90 a year is chump change compared to many of the resources I have purchased in the last year. I realize that may not be true for many people, but even if that were a long-term on-going expense, it would pale in comparison to my purchasing expenditures. So I do hope Bob makes the subscription model irresistible.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 128
Matt Zimmerman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2015 10:10 PM

I do not plan on subscribing to Now as it doesn't offer anything I need. But let me offer up a suggestion.

With the negative feedback regarding this Now subscription I suggest Logos should simplify. In my opinion the Now subscription is just one more confusion thrown into the mix. Imagine a new Logos user trying to figure out... okay, I need the engine, then there are these things called base packages... then we have these data sets and crossgrades... and then there is this subscription to Now which is some sort of addon on top of the whole thing.

Simplify.

Offer a subscription to the latest engine + most complete cross-grade at $8.99 a month. That sounds really nice doesn't it? A nice steady stream of income, less confusion, no complaints about lack of content justifying the price, the Logos team can continue to crank out new features based on the revenue stream, and customers can still opt to buy the engine and cross-grade outright if desired. Also, this works just like Netflix. If you stop subscribing, just like Netflix, you lose any content you don't own. But whatever you purchased (engine, crossgrades, resources) you obviously retain.

Would I subscribe to this? Well, I currently own the latest data sets in 6 at the level I need. But if Logos made such a subscription model and committed to regularly introduce new features and data sets for my $8.99 a month, then I would subscribe in a heartbeat. It'd never have to worry about buying a cross-grade or engine again, woohoo!

Page 6 of 8 (148 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS