Page 8 of 8 (148 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8
This post has 147 Replies | 16 Followers

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 9:35 PM

Josh:

Well, I read the vast majority of the posts. I just want to cast my vote. I personally do NOT like this subscription model and would prefer to purchase Logos 7 this Fall.

Do you mean across the board--do you use it at all?  

I myself get a bit antsy with the myriad of subscriptions that there are to be had nowadays. Although I do utilize some (mostly entertainment like Spotify, Amazon (includes fast shipping) Netflix (just cancelled after a couple years) in addition to Logos Now.  

Logos now is great if you want the tools without having to wait--and I like the feature of getting resources "on loan" for a while.  A nice bonus.  This last month I have been perusing the books on Romans 9 and Michael Heiser's book Supernatural. I may or may not buy them, but I sure liked having access.

I'll likely upgrade to 7, too, and "own" it.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 12
Gary Graham | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2016 8:33 AM

This was probably answered somewhere else, but I did not see it.

I have the Gold package. I got it because it seems to include everything, and was a major investment that I really could not afford. When I had the lesser packages, every so many years you would offer an update to the package. This update would include a lot of new content and features. I realize having the Logos Now subscription will get me all updates of the content I already have, but what happens when the Gold package is updated to include new content and/or features?  I am retired, and studying to potentially become an Elder. I have a hard time justifying the money for the subscription, and will not be able to purchase an update.

I hope that question was clear. I realize I tend to babble on.

Thanks in advance

- Gary

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 15 2016 6:52 AM

Gary Graham:
I have the Gold package. I got it because it seems to include everything, and was a major investment that I really could not afford. When I had the lesser packages, every so many years you would offer an update to the package.

(somewhat reading between the lines:) 

1. If you need to, you can just stay with that Gold package.  Logos has made it so that you can always upgrade to the newest "engine" (like from Logos 5 to Logos 6--and sometime in the near future, we think, to Logos 7).  That will make it so that you can always use your books and tools that you have purchased from Logos.  note: what you won't get will be extra/new functions that they develop for newer versions.  You just won't lose anything.

Gary Graham:
I realize having the Logos Now subscription will get me all updates of the content I already have,

To clarify: they give you brand new things: new datasets, new tools, as well as new books every month that you "rent" for about 3 months and can have the option of purchasing at a discount at the end of the month.  So in some sense, it is not an "update" of what you "have" but it is an update with often brand new things.  But you will lose those new things if you stop your subscription.  But, if I understand correctly, when the new version of Logos comes out for purchase, it would have those previous Logos Now functions as part of the package that you would now own.  However, Logos Now would continue, if you had the subscription, offering new content every few weeks, that would then come out in Logos 8 (presumably).

Gary Graham:
but what happens when the Gold package is updated to include new content and/or features? 

I think I answered that, but just to clarify: if you don't purchase that "new" Gold, you still are able to use all of what you have already purchased.  You will get periodic and free updates of your "engine," but nothing new.  Kind of like a car: Logos will let you bring in your 82 Grand Marquis and give you a tune up, maybe replace the carburetor if it is broken, but they won't give you a free inboard computer with on-star navigation or a new roof rack.  But you can still drive your car as you always have.

:) hope that helps some.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 612
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 15 2016 2:42 PM

Friedrich:
new books every month that you "rent" for about 3 months and can have the option of purchasing at a discount at the end of the month.  

I am a Logos Now subscriber and for this month they are offering "The Book of Acts in the Setting of Hellenistic History" but I don't see any discount for this book.  It is listed at 49.99 and I would like to buy it.  When do they offer the discount and how do I get it?  https://www.logos.com/product/49615/the-book-of-acts-in-the-setting-of-hellenistic-history     

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 15 2016 6:42 PM

Toward the end of the month you will get an email with the code for the discounts John.

Posts 31
Luigi sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 18 2016 8:59 AM

Bob Pritchett:
ou'd live with the typos, and ten years later you'd still own it, with no further expense, but you'd then own a ten-year-old dictionary that didn't reflect any fixes, corrections, or new contributions.

I have a question:What is the percentage of user feedback for typo's versus logos employee 'found on the job, and not a subcontractor in a different country'?

If users provide the majority of feedback to improve the quality of resources, and if this feedback goes back into improving the 'processes to convert the hard copies to electronic copies, then it seems a little unfair for you to feel like you 'did all the work' and don't get paid. (* I remember giving feedback on a book in libronix 3 *, no thanks or payment was given to me )

in this sense: fair enough if you publish this information to the general public (as a public domain report) that is: all the 'correction' feedback you have been given for free from users, otherwise, it is an invaluable resource for you exclusively.

i'd comment on more unfair(s) but too much along that line might make me seem like I didn't read your post (... mostly to be fair).

Perhaps so you can get my comment in perspective though: I support a pay once model, and disagree about it being a 1990 model. I think the subscription model is like paying rich people for electrical bills from solar power after they have get their costs covered, and wages, and a fair maintenance fee.  the rich seem to think the poor should pay them for air afterward sometimes. (not saying you, or Logos have this precise perspective toward customers, I am just bringing it up ... since I am poor )

( and I also don't support a 'always online' dependency, so my views are generated from a desire to not be abused by every 'rich business passer by' )

thanks if you take the time to read this over. (from a person having studied Software Development at university (completing 2/3 years, etc..)

William

Posts 53
AH Bogaards | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 25 2016 5:29 AM

***Logos Now is designed to give you early access to new features as they are made, as well as previews of resources. There is not a plan to apply a discount towards the next version. Logos now is not designed specifically for just “the next version” we will be continuing that early access and resource preview well past our next full release, so it will continue to be a benefit to those who are looking for the latest and greatest. *** It is therefore to the benefit of the customer of Logos.

BUT: As I see it and Bob Pritchett (- It provides more predictable revenue. Upgrades every few years bring in a nice hit of cash, but that cash gets used over time. Historically (long in the past) we got to the point of worrying about payroll and the rent as we neared the next product release. It's a scary and dangerous way to live, going feast to famine over and over. There's value to having revenue come in smoothly over time -- because most expenses for digital products companies are also smooth over time. (Payroll is the most significant -- we don't have physical inputs like metal or wood or other commodities.), it is to the benefit of Logos.

I therefore cannot see why the customer cannot get any benefit of their subscription to Logos Now. Logos is working with the money of the subscribers of Logos Now.

Why can the  customer not benefit of the subscription?

And let me tell you this:

I – and most of Logo’s customers – are  willing to subscribe to Logos Now if Logos AND the customer will benefit.

Posts 10318
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 25 2016 6:13 AM

I took a poll of most of Logos customers (that'd be me), and ....

I'll be curious to see what Now did to the upgrade model.  The only way one could figure it out is 'data'. Therefore, Logos should tell us the customer data, so we can assist Logos in the proper decision.

For me, Now got me used to not having L7 features.  And if I sign off on not crosgrading, I'll likely not crossgrade the next round ... too expensive.  Core + books.

Page 8 of 8 (148 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 | RSS