Concordance tool?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 95
Jack Nørdam | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 8 2015 9:15 PM

I just saw a video about the Concordance Tool, but I do not have it - how come? I have Logos 6 Platinum.

Posts 1991
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 9:18 PM

you gotta pay $9 a month for that Jack. (Logos Now)

Posts 25351
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 9:21 PM

Jack Nørdam:

I just saw a video about the Concordance Tool, but I do not have it - how come? I have Logos 6 Platinum.

Its in the first release of "Logos Now" please see https://www.logos.com/faq#LogosNow and discussions in the forums for more context

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 9:22 PM

It is part of this.  Logos Now

(a subscription to additional features)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 95
Jack Nørdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 11:23 PM

Thanks. It looks really cool, but I am somewhat in two minds about paying rent every month. I wish it was a part of the package.

Posts 33842
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 11:28 PM

Wait and it will be ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 99
Brian Kempson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 2:10 PM

Hi Graham

Just watched Logos Pro Training video on the Concordance Tool 6.3

I noticed that hit counts in video are consistently higher than counts on my PC for NIV.

e.g. NIV: Biblical entity: Luke-Acts City has 498 counts on video but I get 221  on my PC for same search.

e.g. NIV: Sense: Proverbs has 6,270 counts on video but I get 5,762  on my PC for same search.

Can you please explain?

Thanks Brian

Posts 25351
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 2:45 PM

Hi Brian

Brian Kempson:

e.g. NIV: Biblical entity: Luke-Acts City has 498 counts on video but I get 221  on my PC for same search.

e.g. NIV: Sense: Proverbs has 6,270 counts on video but I get 5,762  on my PC for same search.

I also get 5,762 for Proverbs but I get 460 for City as below 

I am speculating that the difference between what is on the video and the results we are seeing now is that something has changed in the way it works since 6.3 (but I don't know what that was which would cause this change)

It doesn't explain why we are seeing different results for the City entity. I am running on 6.7 beta 3. What version of Logos software do you have?

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 2:59 PM

Brian Kempson:
I noticed that hit counts in video are consistently higher than counts on my PC for NIV.

. Beware videos  - software is older and they are meant for illustration/example

. Beware what is counted - if you were using a <Thing City> or <Sense proverb> search to compare with Concordance you will get different results!

I only get 24 for Sense: proverb in ESV concordance, so I'm wondering about the NIV count (2011 version?)!!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 25351
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 3:20 PM

Dave Hooton:
I only get 24 for Sense: proverb in ESV concordance, so I'm wondering about the NIV count (2011 version?)!!

Sorry Dave

Yes I get 24 for "sense:proverb" as well

The larger count I mentioned - which I think is what Brian was referring to - was the number of "Sense" terms in the book of Proverbs

Graham

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 3:55 PM

Graham Criddle:
The larger count I mentioned - which I think is what Brian was referring to - was the number of "Sense" terms in the book of Proverbs

Yes - you got the correct interpretation; in which case my Beware videos comment applies!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 29931
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 4:16 PM

MJ. Smith:
Wait and it will be ...

Wait and it will <likely> be. We have no reason to think it won't, but we haven't been promised anything... afaik.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 99
Brian Kempson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2015 1:08 PM

I am running

Logos Bible Software 6.6 SR-26.6.0.0069

Brian

Posts 99
Brian Kempson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2015 1:11 PM

I get 460 for city too

Posts 25351
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2015 3:20 PM

Brian Kempson:

I get 460 for city too

So we are getting the same results.

Did this answer your questions or is there still an issue?

Posts 99
Brian Kempson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2015 5:13 PM

If it assumed that video is incorrect, then there never was a problem.

It does cause me to question the accuracy of the concordance, though.

Regards

Brian

Posts 25351
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2015 9:17 PM

Brian Kempson:

If it assumed that video is incorrect, then there never was a problem.

There was a problem in Logos 6.3 (when the video was made) when specifying a passage range -  see https://community.logos.com/forums/t/105197.aspx for details.

This was fixed in 6.4 beta 1.

It is possible that this bug caused the incorrect count in the video

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2015 12:44 AM

Brian Kempson:
It does cause me to question the accuracy of the concordance, though.

As I indicated above, compare Concordance against a Search in a meaningful, easily verifiable way:

• RI's like NIV and ESV will give different results as indicated by the thread Graham provided
  • So compare Concordance to Searches on LHB (for OT) and SBLGNT (NT) to resolve differences against RI's
  • Compare individual entities like <Place Hebron (city)> as Kind: City is not searchable
  • Use Concordance to access bible passages and then use the right click menu to derive your Search parameters

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS