Logos you are trying my patience with your irresponsibility in coding

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 35 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 935
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 11 2015 5:53 AM

Dan, thanks for your gracious response perhaps I could have been gentler... Sorry. Peace be with you.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 1793
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 11 2015 6:29 AM

Last night the Augustine sermons and homilies downloaded and are working in the sermon section.  Maybe they will go back and code the Augustine sermons on the Psalms. 

Posts 198
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 11 2015 10:12 AM

Perhaps we might be able to understand this as a degree of confusion which may exist in some parts as to whether a Homily is a Sermon ?
Some seem to think it definitely is, others seem to think it is something entirely different from what they understand as a sermon, still others think a homily is a type of sermon. So whether you should consider a homily to be a sermon depends both on your denominational background and the location in which you learned English. (remembering also that English is not a single language but more a group of languages and a word may be understood quite differently in Europe, North America, Africa, Australia and South Asia)

Homily

(Eerdmans Bible Dictionary)

(Gk. homilía). A simple address, consisting of a paraphrase of a substantial portion of Scripture, having more the character of a Bible reading than a sermon. Directed toward practical matters, it was frequently used as a method of preaching in the early Christian church. The letter to the Hebrews could be regarded as one or more homilies (e.g., ch. 11), and although the epistles of Paul appear to be genuine letters written to address specific topics, his letter to the Ephesians may constitute a homiletic reworking of the letter to the Philippians.

The Greek term appears only at 1 Cor. 15:33, where it would be best translated as "talk, conversation":

Based on the above, many would read this to mean a homily and a sermon a quite different !!

Definition of a Homily

Logos Mobile Ed: CM101 Segment 45

In this lesson, I want to talk to you about homilies. Earlier I have talked about different types of sermons—evangelistic sermons, doctrinal sermons, [and] pastoral messages. In this section, in this lesson, I want to look at the notion of "homilies." Sometimes that word "homily" is interchangeable with the word "sermon," and so I want to kind of show you what a homily is, and then you’ll know when it’s a homily and when it’s not.

Homilies Are Informal

Like I say, they’re informal. It sounds and feels like you’re sitting down and having a cup of coffee with the preacher, and he or she is just talking about what the text is saying from verse by verse.

HOMILY: Preaching by an ordained minister to explain the Scriptures proclaimed in the liturgy and to exhort the people to accept them as the Word of God (Catechism of the Catholic Church)

SC52: By means of the homily the mysteries of the faith and the guiding principles of the Christian life are expounded from the sacred text, during the course of the liturgical year;

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 11 2015 10:16 AM

Is it ee-ther or ii-ther?  Let's call the whole thing off.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3fjQa5Hls

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 198
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 11 2015 10:21 AM

George Somsel:

Is it ee-ther or ii-ther?

"ee-ther" is that theoretical vapor that fills the space between the planets and stars and out of which new ideas are plucked....

"ii-ther" is very very cold "ee-ther" as experienced on the east coast of North America during the winter months (November to May, perhaps even early June this year...)

Posts 935
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 11 2015 1:05 PM

George Somsel:

John Goodman:

Racism alert... Plenty of great work happens outside the USA. Beyond your borders folks are not stupid!

Don't be like a stupid Democrat and call everything "racism."  You would think a member of the Christian community would know better.

Indeed: https://disqus.com/home/discussion/washtimes/indiana_pizzeria_owners_close_doors_may_leave_town_after_gay_wedding_attacks/#comment-1942403412

I try not to be offensive but I also try to walk the path less traveled and call a foul where I see one. No hard feelings intended.

When it comes to racism or any other prejudice I think we are better off assuming we pick it up along the way - for sure I am prejudiced in my own ways too. Lets not take ourselves too seriously and look for opportunities to learn a better way?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 2907
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 11 2015 1:06 PM

SineNomine:

Kyle G. Anderson:
I've begun the process of adding sermon labels for both John Chrysostom and Augustine. (The same thing that happened to John Chrysostom happened to Augustine as well.)

Did it happen to https://www.logos.com/product/38289/homilies-of-st-john-chrysostom-upgrade as well? I'm not on my computer to check.

I checked two volumes: one had it, one appeared not to.

Posts 884
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 13 2015 8:57 AM

An update to the Augustine collection was published on Friday.

An update to both John Chrysostom Homily collections were published this morning. All three collections should have sermon label tagging where appropriate.

Thank you for your patience and I apologize for the inconvenience. Again, I want to re-iterate we're having internal discussions on how to handle scenarios for cases where delaying the release of a product that has already been produced are handled.

Posts 2907
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 13 2015 10:31 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

All three collections should have sermon label tagging where appropriate.

Thank you very much!

Posts 1793
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 13 2015 10:34 AM

Thanks Kyle, for this update

Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 13 2015 12:33 PM

Thanks for the quick turnaround and good luck on finding a procedural solution.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 13 2015 2:45 PM

Thanks.

"The Christian mind is the prerequisite of Christian thinking. And Christian thinking is the prerequisite of Christian action." - Harry Blamires, 1963

Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2015 5:09 AM
Kyle G. Anderson:
An update to both John Chrysostom Homily collections were published this morning.
Kyle, what files were exactly updated from this collection? https://www.logos.com/product/38289/homilies-of-st-john-chrysostom-upgrade. Martin.
Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2015 10:15 AM
Can anyone confirm if this collection was updated past days to have sermon label tagging? https://www.logos.com/product/38289/homilies-of-st-john-chrysostom-upgrade. Martin.
Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2015 1:56 PM

The collection has sermon tagging, Martin

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 15 2015 7:39 AM
Thanks, MJ.
Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS