[resolved] STUDENT DISCOUNT CUTS? :-(

Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 54 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 191
Rev. 14:6 | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 17 2015 6:37 AM

Anyone seen the cuts coming to the student discount from 30% off down to 20% off?  Its hard to purchase the things I want out of logos being a student.  I have to admit the discount is a huge help and draw but to lower it is a sad day for me.

Crying :(

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 6:50 AM

NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo

Yes, I saw this in my inbox this morning too! This news, along with the news of Logos Now subscriptions, etc.... makes me worried about the future of Logos. It seems they're getting a little more desperate for our money. They need more money so they're going to take it from the students? Many things on Logos are overpriced anyway, so the 30% student discount is the only way I could afford many things. I'm afraid this move will backfire on Logos. As I know for me at least, lowering my discount means I will be giving less business to this company, not more. This move seems counter-productive for a company that is trying to squeeze more money from its customers.

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 6:56 AM

I love how the e-mail says "personalized offers" too. Wow, what a personal offer! lol. Smile

Posts 6
Matthew L. Tinkham Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 7:09 AM

Yes, I received this email notification as well! I am disappointed in Logos. It is a great software but many of its products are way overpriced. The student discount helps a lot in making its products much more affordable. And now they want to reduce it?!?!? It seems like this Bible software is becoming a greedy big business.

1 Tim. 6:10 "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs."

I also heard about Logos switching to a subscription-based plan, similar to what Microsoft has done. If they indeed make this change that will be the end of Logos for me, just like Microsoft's change to subscriptions ended my relationship with their products. I understand that there is a lot of work that makes the Logos software possible. But I thought the goal was to make the Bible more accessible, not less accessible by charging more!!!

I encourage Logos to think long and hard before making money-making decisions like these. They might bring a quick end to their success if they choose unwisely because pastors and students will not be able to afford these products.

Posts 81
John Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 7:16 AM

This hurts... Students are poor and many in piles of debt! It's nice to give us a break! Why not keep the discount at 30%?

Posts 73
Brian Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 7:22 AM

Matthew Tinkham, Jr.:

I also heard about Logos switching to a subscription-based plan, similar to what Microsoft has done....

The word is that the subscription plan is to complement and not replace the downloadable version as per this forum post.

The spirit of a pilgrim greatly facilitates praying. An earth-bound, earth-satisfied spirit cannot pray.--E. M. Bounds

Posts 191
Rev. 14:6 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 7:23 AM

Yeah, the subscription thing really makes no sense to me. I'm not quite sure what they are doing with that or what the goal is with that.  What about those who have put in their hard earned money into a package and now you make it available all for 8.99 a month.  Am I missing something here?

Posts 915
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 7:25 AM

John Miller:

This hurts... Students are poor and many in piles of debt! It's nice to give us a break! Why not keep the discount at 30%?

So are many seniors and people on social security and/or food stamps yet I see no special discounts offered to any in those groups Sad

If Logos offered me a 30% discount off a base package before May 1st I would bite their hand off, and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.

Posts 5
Eric Louw | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 7:41 AM

First adobe came with subscriptions, then Microsoft, now logos. 

A world where everything becomes subscription based is one where customers are placed second in the name of increased service when really it's more about increased revenue.

Posts 6
Matthew L. Tinkham Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 8:06 AM

Brian, I sure hope you're right...

Posts 6
Matthew L. Tinkham Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 8:09 AM

David, I think you missed the point. Students have always had a 30% discount. Now Logos is trying to take that away by lowering it to 20% effective May 1. It's not that they are doing a special deal of 30% before May 1. They are taking something away (10%) that they have always provided.

Posts 21848
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 8:20 AM

Rev. 14:6:
What about those who have put in their hard earned money into a package and now you make it available all for 8.99 a month.  Am I missing something here?

The Logos Now subscription is to add to / enhance what we have in base packages etc - it doesn't provide those base packages or other resources

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 8:30 AM

Rev. 14:6:

Yeah, the subscription thing really makes no sense to me. I'm not quite sure what they are doing with that or what the goal is with that.  What about those who have put in their hard earned money into a package and now you make it available all for 8.99 a month.  Am I missing something here?

I am afraid you all need to check the facts here before posting. Logos has not switched to a subscription-based model, and Bob Pritchett has also explicitly stated that they will continue to offer the existing model. The subscription offering gives you a number of things, including access to a new web app that will eventually provide most of the functionality of the desktop, access to some additional desktop functions early (probably before they are included in Logos 7), some new datasets and some promised special offers for those who subscribe. It is simply not true that what you have already invested in is available for $8.99 a month, nor that they are switching to a subscription-based model. You can find out about all of this in the Logos Now forum, you've probably received an email from them about it and it's also on the Logos Home page of the desktop app. ou can also have a free one-month subscription to try it out. 

They are trying to reach a new market, to lower the entry bar for new users, as well as to smooth out their revenue streams. All of those things seem to me to be in the long-term interests of Logos/Faithlife and its users, which in turn makes our investment in the program more secure. Please remember that non-Logos users read these forums, and would get a completely wrong (and almost defamatory) impression of Logos from some of the posts in this thread. That poses far more of a long-term threat to the company than any of what is being discussed here.  

As far as Academic discount is concerned, Logos doesn't have to give us any discount, and I am very grateful for the Academic Discount I have received in the past, although I am no longer part of this program. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 8:51 AM

GregW:

I am afraid you all need to check the facts here before posting. Logos has not switched to a subscription-based model, and Bob Pritchett has also explicitly stated that they will continue to offer the existing model. 

Yes I know this. I have checked the facts. I am glad that Faithlife can offer a subscription based model to those who want that. And I am choosing to trust that Bob Pritchett is a man of his word and will continue to offer the regular model for everyone else who does not want a subscription-based approach. If you look at the trend of other companies, this movement is typically a middle-ground, transition point to going fully subscription based. I hope that this middle ground position isn't just a way for easing us into an eventual fully subscription based model and an attempt to soften the blow of that impact. Obviously we have no way of knowing that for sure except trusting Bob Pritchett's word. I trust his word, but I'm still uncomfortable with the recent developments.

Either way, the point of this conversation is not about Logos Now subscriptions. There are plenty of other threads on that already. The point of this conversation is that the reduction of the student discount is concerning. And for me personally (and it seems for others too), this change, coupled with the recent Logos Now subscription addition is even more concerning to me. There seems to be a noticeable trend where Logos is trying to suddenly increase revenue. Which is understandable, but my point is that the way they are going about doing it does not make any sense to me. As I explained earlier, I think that this reduction in the student discount is the last place they should be looking to increase revenue. I have no doubt in my mind that this will decrease revenue. But what do I know? I'm just a lowly customer lol. Smile

Posts 1561
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 9:24 AM

Is this change across the board or base package related?

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 57
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 9:27 AM

A student discount is an incredible gift whether it is 30% percent or 20% and is something that Logos never had to give us.  To complain that a "gift" that was reduced makes Logos greedy or saying they don't care about the customer makes no sense to me.  Sure I would love to have 30% off but I know that the gift has saved me thousands of dollars and the 20% will continue to do that.  Thank you Logos for the gift!

Bill

Posts 915
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 9:29 AM

Matthew Tinkham, Jr.:

David, I think you missed the point. Students have always had a 30% discount. Now Logos is trying to take that away by lowering it to 20% effective May 1. It's not that they are doing a special deal of 30% before May 1. They are taking something away (10%) that they have always provided.

Matthew I can assure you I have not missed the point, merely pointing out that those of us who have to pay the full price for resources are grateful for any discount Logos may at times offer us, and happily accept it with an attitude of gratitude rather than entitlement.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 9:43 AM

I'm grateful for the academic discount I've had to date, and for the academic discount which Logos will continue to offer, albeit it at a reduced rate.

There are many Logos users on limited budgets who'd bite our hands off for any discount - especially the permanent kind! Big Smile

Posts 640
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 9:45 AM

William:

A student discount is an incredible gift whether it is 30% percent or 20% and is something that Logos never had to give us.  To complain that a "gift" that was reduced makes Logos greedy or saying they don't care about the customer makes no sense to me.  Sure I would love to have 30% off but I know that the gift has saved me thousands of dollars and the 20% will continue to do that.  Thank you Logos for the gift!

Bill

Logos did not provide a 30% off academic discount on everything across the board. Many of the sales to the non-academic public were at better prices than the academic discount. Logos makes a profit on academic sales. The academic discount is not giving free gifts out. They are a company for profit.

Posts 640
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 9:50 AM

Timothy Taylor:

GregW:

I am afraid you all need to check the facts here before posting. Logos has not switched to a subscription-based model, and Bob Pritchett has also explicitly stated that they will continue to offer the existing model. 

Yes I know this. I have checked the facts. I am glad that Faithlife can offer a subscription based model to those who want that. And I am choosing to trust that Bob Pritchett is a man of his word and will continue to offer the regular model for everyone else who does not want a subscription-based approach. If you look at the trend of other companies, this movement is typically a middle-ground, transition point to going fully subscription based. I hope that this middle ground position isn't just a way for easing us into an eventual fully subscription based model and an attempt to soften the blow of that impact. Obviously we have no way of knowing that for sure except trusting Bob Pritchett's word. I trust his word, but I'm still uncomfortable with the recent developments.

Either way, the point of this conversation is not about Logos Now subscriptions. There are plenty of other threads on that already. The point of this conversation is that the reduction of the student discount is concerning. And for me personally (and it seems for others too), this change, coupled with the recent Logos Now subscription addition is even more concerning to me. There seems to be a noticeable trend where Logos is trying to suddenly increase revenue. Which is understandable, but my point is that the way they are going about doing it does not make any sense to me. As I explained earlier, I think that this reduction in the student discount is the last place they should be looking to increase revenue. I have no doubt in my mind that this will decrease revenue. But what do I know? I'm just a lowly customer lol. Smile

Yes

Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS