[resolved] STUDENT DISCOUNT CUTS? :-(

Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 54 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 6
Matthew L. Tinkham Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 10:01 AM

David, I am also very grateful for the student discount, whether it is 30% or 20%! Smile It has helped me substantially to become a Logos software and resource owner. However, Logos resources seem to be getting more expensive and then they want to reduce the student discount? Why?!?! It seems like there is a money issue here and that is my concern. Logos has a far superior product to offer in this market. My fear is that the lessening competition (Accordance and BibleWorks don't have near as much to offer) is causing Logos to think in terms of monopolization. "We own the market so we can charge what we want and the customers will have to just cope with it." In such a case, all customers lose out--students and non-students. For many the loss will be a lack of financial ability to purchase such a great software because it is way overpriced. Having concern, I do not believe can be classified as entitlement. Being frustrated with being charged more money for the same products because a company seems to be getting more money-hungry is not entitlement. I would hate to see Logos put themselves out of business because they are charging too much for their products and thereby eliminating their clientele. They have to make money; I get that. But what about the customer? Are we to sit by and allow them to charge us whatever they want because their focus has wrongly shifted from the product to the money? This is why I think this is a worthy forum issue, especially for students and pastors whose sacrificial service to the church comes with a sacrificial income (unless you're a televangelist, which is a whole other issue Wink) that makes it difficult for them to own such an expensive software.

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 10:11 AM

Timothy Taylor:
Either way, the point of this conversation is not about Logos Now subscriptions.

Quite right, but several of the posts contained unhelpful inaccuracies and uninformed speculation. Your original post speculated about the viability of the company, another incorrectly stated that they are switching to a subscription model, and another wrongly said that the subscription model included everything that the rest of us have paid for over time.

My concern (and I'm neither a Logos employee nor an MVP, just a humble user) is that these all give a wrong impression to those coming to these forums thinking of buying Logos software. Speculation here about future viability is potentially far more damaging to the future of Faithlife than almost anything else, and is potentially damaging to all of us who have invested in Logos products as well. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 10:13 AM

GregW:

My concern (and I'm neither a Logos employee nor an MVP, just a humble user) is that these all give a wrong impression to those coming to these forums thinking of buying Logos software. Speculation here about future viability is potentially far more damaging to the future of Faithlife than almost anything else, and is potentially damaging to all of us who have invested in Logos products as well. 

Point well taken. However, I think that these forums are a good place for loyal customers who have given Faithlife hundreds if not thousands of dollars of business to voice their concerns. If Faithlife/Logos is making some concerning moves, they can't expect that everyone on the forums are only going to be saying positive things about it all the time. I think having a place for the community to voice concerns is healthy.

Posts 573
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 11:04 AM

Timothy,

Several years ago Bob P asked us if we wanted the latest books from publishers, and that if we did, that publishers were going to want 50% of the books list price for royalties. Much of the increase in book prices we are seeing is that publishers are wanting more to license their hot new titles. Look at the dates on the prepub page, a good portion is titles written in the last 5 years. 15 - 20 years ago bible software mostly consisted of public domain books

I don't think Logos is greedy or desperate for money, but the costs to have the latest books is going up. Also data sets that are continually expanding need to be funded by more that a one time base package purchase. Logos has stated most of the customer base doesn't buy more that just the base package.

I used to look at my print library, and just dream about what I wished Logos would produce. Today just about every item I longed to see digital has become a reality. So for me I am a very happy camper.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 11:06 AM

John Kight:

Is this change across the board or base package related?

Good question, John. All the academics posting inaccurate statements in this thread need to learn how to interpret emails. The announcement only relates to base packages.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 11:15 AM

Timothy Taylor:

GregW:

Point well taken. However, I think that these forums are a good place for loyal customers who have given Faithlife hundreds if not thousands of dollars of business to voice their concerns. If Faithlife/Logos is making some concerning moves, they can't expect that everyone on the forums are only going to be saying positive things about it all the time. I think having a place for the community to voice concerns is healthy.

Is spreading misinformation (and rationalizing the spread of misinformation) healthy? This is a general question and not directed at what you posted earlier.

Posts 4134
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 12:17 PM

Disappointing.

I may not re-new my academic pricing.

Sometimes I have to buy books twice, they are more difficult, or maybe impossible to transfer, and now the discount will be less than most sales. I'll probably just buy the sales :/ Right after they are released and right before a new batch are released everyone gets 30%.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 12:29 PM

abondservant:

Disappointing.

Sometimes I have to buy books twice, they are more difficult, or maybe impossible to transfer, and now the discount will be less than most sales. I'll probably just buy the sales :/ Right after they are released and right before a new batch are released everyone gets 30%.

I could be wrong, but the email states that the change in discount from 30% to 20% is for base packages, not individual resources and collections/bundles. It may be helpful for Faithlife to comment and clear up the confusion, but you should still receive the normal academic discount on purchases outside of base package purchases.   

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 2:40 PM

John Kight:

I could be wrong, but  ....    

No.  You're right.  It's the same comment made by ST above about an hour and a half ago.  It's clear in the e-mail.

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 2:58 PM

Steve:

It's clear in the e-mail.

Hmmm, well I hope you guys are right! Actually though, I still do not think the e-mail was very clear on this and clarification from a Faithlife employee would be helpful.

The e-mail says:

Faithlife E-mail:

Currently, your enrollment in the Academic Discount Program provides you with 30% off Logos 6 base packages. On May 1, student discounts will be lowered to 20% off.

It doesn't say that only student discounts on base packages will be lowered to 20%, it just says student discounts. It is in the context of the previous sentence which does talk about base packages, but my guess is that's just because they're trying to sell you on a base package in the e-mail.

Posts 55
Anne H | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 4:33 PM

I got that same email yesterday. I took it to mean base packages.  Whatever the discount I am thankful to Faithlife for as long as it lasts And am thankful for having had it these last few months. So, thanks Faithlife folks! :)

Posts 325
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 6:28 PM

How does one know if Faithlife/Logos/or whatever is either making money or is viable if it is a private company that limits disclosure of sales figure...unless of course someone has made such information public so that we are...absolutely...accurate in all statements about this company.

Posts 4134
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 7:06 PM

John Kight:

abondservant:

Disappointing.

I could be wrong, but the email states that the change in discount from 30% to 20% is for base packages, not individual resources and collections/bundles. It may be helpful for Faithlife to comment and clear up the confusion, but you should still receive the normal academic discount on purchases outside of base package purchases.   

That was my understanding when I posted. It IS clear in the email that it is only for base packages... However, that & cp are my primary purchase points.

Posts 4134
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 7:08 PM

Bob mentioned last year a 4 or 5% profit margin, and that this was higher than some years, and right where they planned to be so they could expand.

But I don't know of any other disclosure besides that.

I know what I've spent in the last year could probably support a part time employee...

Posts 39
Pastor Scamman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 8:29 PM

As a poor seminary student, I too am disappointed to see that the Academic Discount is being reduced by a third. As it is, resources purchased with the academic discount can't be sold or transferred. If the discount is to be reduced so, we should at least be able to transfer or sell the resources just like a physical book.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 9:13 PM

Evan Scamman:
I too am disappointed to see that the Academic Discount is being reduced by a third.

It is only on the base package purchases.

Posts 172
LogosEmployee
Jonathan J Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2015 12:20 AM

Hello, everyone. 

As requested, I would like to clarify that the current discount on base packages for students is 30% off. On May 1, the discount on base packages will change to 20% off.

As for individual products, these are handled on a case-by-case basis and will remain so for the foreseeable future. Currently, for example, students receive significant discounts on the following works: 

Finally, let me assure you that we are following your comments. And while other responsibilities may not allow us to respond as quickly as we might like, we do appreciate your feedback. 

Posts 1523
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2015 3:05 AM

Jonathan J Watson:

As requested, I would like to clarify that the current discount on base packages for students is 30% off. On May 1, the discount on base packages will change to 20% off.

Finally, let me assure you that we are following your comments. And while other responsibilities may not allow us to respond as quickly as we might like, we do appreciate your feedback. 

I was also sad to see this change. The reason basically being that in my opinion Faithlife doesn't currently offer a base package that really competes directly price-wise with the competition to get you the basic-resources-you-need-as-a-student (the Academic Package, which is very good, although unavailable for Verbum currently I believe, is still considerably more expensive, even after the 30% discount). That will only increase with this change. 

I would like to see Faithlife try to make it as easy as possible for students to get their foot in the door. Most of them will then be customers for life, of course.

Regarding the comments in a previous post that this might reflect a monopolistic mentality - if that is the case, it is poorly placed here. In fact, maybe the one area of Bible-software-competition where Faithlife is furthest away from having anything like a monopoly is the university classroom. 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2015 7:40 AM

Fr Devin Roza:
Faithlife doesn't currently offer a base package that really competes directly price-wise with the competition to get you the basic-resources-you-need-as-a-student (the Academic Package,

The competition doesn't currently offer a base package that really compares directly feature-wise with Faithlife.  Now if Faithlife offered a truncated version at a lower price point with some basic resources they could capture more sales.   

Posts 105
Ruben Sandoval | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2015 12:30 PM

Thank you for the clarification on this Jonathan Watson!

Somewhat relieved that individual titles/sets may still be discounted (depending on publisher-faithlife agreement, etc.).

Quick followup: Will this discount from 30% to 20% only be for L6?

Will the discount be re-implemented to 30% when (-gulp-) a future Logos 7 (+) comes out?

As many have commented before -- very grateful for the discount as a seminary student!!!

Thanks and blessings

in HIM

rs

Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS