IVP Dictionary Bundle vs. Other Dictionaries?

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 663
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 29 2015 11:15 AM

Is the IVP Dictionary Bundle (8vol) worth the price?  

I already have dictionaries, so wondering if this really is worth the extra cost.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 11:29 AM

I do not have any of the IVP dictionaries yet, but they are definitely on my radar due to the number of positive reviews I have seen. If you have not already looked at it, it might be worth your while to check out this:

https://www.logos.com/product/49068/the-essential-ivp-reference-collection-version-3

That will get you some of the dictionaries and several other goodies for a reasonable price. If it goes on sale this December, as it has in past years, I am planning on adding it to my library. I think I have seen on the forums that it has been as low as $110 or $120.

Posts 910
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 11:34 AM

Hey Michael,

A colleague of mine used to require the Pentateuch volume for a class he taught in seminary. On the weight of his recommendation, I eventually bought them all, including the upgraded volumes -- almost always discounted in some way. I think they're good and I refer to them often frequently reading long passages, but dictionaries often don't tell me enough of what I want to know, or don't convey a deep enough understanding. But that's why we've got a whole library, right? Smile

In summary, while I cannot assess their relative value for you, I consider them good investments for my library.

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 11:34 AM

I own them and I would say that they really, really good. They are academic and may not be to everyone's taste for that reason.

Posts 62
Rev. Wayne Paul Barrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 11:49 AM

They offer a lot for the price and I usually recommend them to those looking to improve their library in a cost-effective manner. 

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 12:12 PM

Matthew:

I do not have any of the IVP dictionaries yet, but they are definitely on my radar due to the number of positive reviews I have seen. If you have not already looked at it, it might be worth your while to check out this:

https://www.logos.com/product/49068/the-essential-ivp-reference-collection-version-3

That will get you some of the dictionaries and several other goodies for a reasonable price. If it goes on sale this December, as it has in past years, I am planning on adding it to my library. I think I have seen on the forums that it has been as low as $110 or $120.

Plus (if I am not mistaken), buying this gets you dynamic pricing on the Dictionary Bundle. Vice versa, too.

Posts 462
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 2:52 PM

Michael S.:

This is one of the best bang-for-the-buck investments in Logos. Highly recommended.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 3:49 PM

Michael S.:

I already have dictionaries, so wondering if this really is worth the extra cost.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Yes, and you are welcome. 

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 4:03 PM

I also highly recommend them, especially if you are working on research projects. The articles are extremely helpful and in-depth, and the bibliographies are great for additional research recommendations. A must have IMO. 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 8199
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 7:10 PM

get them all and also the AYBD if you don't already have it.

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 7:24 PM

DAL:

get them all and also the AYBD if you don't already have it.

Get ISBE while your at it as well.

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 2337
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 8:45 PM

IVP Dictionaries are absolutely the best, and I agree that you also need AYBD and ISBE.  Then you are all set.  

Posts 663
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 5:03 AM

Anyone know how the IVP bundle would compare with the New International Dictionary Bundle?

Thanks.

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 5:21 AM

Michael S.:
the New International Dictionary Bundle

Not sure which one you mean: can you include a link?

Posts 11933
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 5:27 AM

Since he mentions 8vols in the OP, I think Michael means this: https://www.logos.com/product/37742/the-ivp-bible-dictionary-series 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 5:29 AM

Nah, this is the IVP bundle. I was asking about which was the other one is was asking comparison to.

Posts 663
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 5:39 AM

https://www.logos.com/product/5465/new-international-dictionary-of-old-testament-theology-and-exegesis

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 5:46 AM

Michael, those dictionaries are very different in kind. The IVP dictionaries are topical, based on the type of biblical literature they pertain to (e.g., prophetic books). The NIDOTTE takes a lexical approach and explores the salient theological points that pertain to specific words and their cognates in the whole of the OT (though it can distinguish, within articles, between how a word is used in different parts of the OT if there are distinct usages). Here is an example below:

Posts 279
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 5:55 PM

The IVP Dictionaries are excellent and well worth the investment. If you combine them with the ISBE you are in great shape. Furthermore, I have also found that the Baker Dictionary is pretty good (you get it in some of the higher base packages) along with the Lexham Dictionary that just received a huge update. That being said, my two "go to" dictionaries are ISBE and IVP series.

Posts 663
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 7:19 PM

These IVP dictionaries- the ones in the Reference Essential Bundle (v. 3)?

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS