SUGG: Automatic Layout Sync

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1544
PL | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 26 2010 4:50 AM

Team Logos,

Thanks for the "Update to current snapshot" option in the beta.  

Can we go one step further? Can you provide an option setting for named layouts to just "Automatically sync to current snapshot periodically"?

Here is my use case: I use L4 on two separate computers, one at home and one netbook.  I have a layout named "sync".  Every so often I have to open the Layout menu (which is slow to open because of all the snapshots), find the "sync" layout, and right-click and choose "Update to current snapshot".  It would be nice if I can just tell L4 when I name the layout that I want that sync'ed up automatically to my current snapshot every minute or so.

Thanks.

Peter

Posts 3742
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 8:47 AM

PeterLi:
would be nice if I can just tell L4 when I name the layout that I want that sync'ed up automatically to my current snapshot

I'd LOVE to have something like this... but----how would it know NOT to do this when I'm working in a different layout?

Without SRAs, I've had to go to 2 layouts--OT & NT. I DON'T want my OT layout syncing to my NT layout.... Ever. I know. Having to manually pick it (absent a toolbar Save current named layout command), I've already done it once. Sad

Blessings!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 1544
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 10:20 AM

Good point!  I suppose you could only have one layout with this new option turned on at any one time. OR, this could be a new program setting: Automatically Sync With - [a list of named layouts to choose one from]

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 11:10 AM

Not sure I would like this, I have several layouts that I start with. I my open difference resources depending on what I am doing during that particular session, but necessarily want those resources coming back the the next time I open the layout.

Or am I misunderstanding what you are suggesting Peter?

Posts 229
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 11:28 AM

I've read this a couple of times because originally I was thinking - oh you just put that layout in the shortcut bar - actually that might at least speed up your current manual process (if you it allows you to right click on your sync shortcut and select the update option) - I'm not using the beta so I don't know if it will do that.

But after reading it again, am I to understand that you would like a scenario when you finish working on one machine (perhaps in the middle of something) and then you go home and want to start off exactly where you left things previously? If so I can see that being useful - the trick is to figure the best way to handle exceptions to the rule - in other words, what if there is a situation where you don't want the current snapshot to overwrite your sync layout?

Consider this scenario, you're working on something and it's about time to go home or go to work or whatever but you are interrupted by a phone call or something by someone with a bible question that you end up using Logos to answer -the snap shot has now changed but it is not the one you want remembered for when you come back later to go further on what you were doing previously.

Given some of the other things that are yet to be done and wishlist items that are no on the "missing features" list I'm not sure this functionality should be a high priority - however I would use it was available (like you I access Logos across multiple machines)

But I would be happy with the shortcut workaround - can anyone using the current beta confirm that this might already be possible?

That is, being able to put a "Sync" layout on the shortcut bar - right click on it to update to the current snapshot

Scripture set to music for worship and aid memorization. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-DojPa0TlpCGhtUJq1e3Pw

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 11:31 AM

I had a suggestion earlier that might accomplish some of what you want here.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/9419/74854.aspx

Posts 1659
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 11:38 AM

Jeremy White:

But I would be happy with the shortcut workaround - can anyone using the current beta confirm that this might already be possible?

That is, being able to put a "Sync" layout on the shortcut bar - right click on it to update to the current snapshot

No, the present "shortcut" buttons only have the "open/delete" choices.

you have to click on "Layout" then find the layout "names" in the left column. Right click on one and then click on the "Update to Current Snapshot" etc notice. Not quite what  you are asking for, but it sure helps.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 11:41 AM

BillS:

PeterLi:
would be nice if I can just tell L4 when I name the layout that I want that sync'ed up automatically to my current snapshot

I'd LOVE to have something like this... but----how would it know NOT to do this when I'm working in a different layout?

Without SRAs, I've had to go to 2 layouts--OT & NT. I DON'T want my OT layout syncing to my NT layout.... Ever. I know. Having to manually pick it (absent a toolbar Save current named layout command), I've already done it once. Sad

Blessings!

Couldn't it be set to only sync the layout that is in use at the moment, leaving all the other layouts as they are?  Then when you switch to another layout - THAT ONE would be the ONLY ONE that would sync.  I think it would be possible.

I really have no use at all for the layouts feature to do an automatic "snapshot" every few minutes.  I just end up with a bunch of useless "snapshots" that I never go back to. 

BUT - if the program could be set to sync only the layout that I am using (at any given moment) - now that would be much more useful to me, because I have several layouts - each for doing different things, and those are the only ones I am interested in keeping "synced".

Posts 32505
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 11:44 AM

For me, an auto-update would be a hassle not a help i.e. there should be an option to turn it off.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 11:52 AM

MJ. Smith:

For me, an auto-update would be a hassle not a help i.e. there should be an option to turn it off.

I can see what you mean.  But isn't the automatic "snapshot" it takes every few minute an auto-update?

Yes, I agree, there should be several user configurable options for the Layouts feature.

For me, I'd like to be able to turn off the automatic "snapshots" and instead turn on auto syncing for just the layouts that I have saved - and even then I would only want to sync the layout that I'm working with, not the other ones.

At least that would work better for me.  Everybody's different so they may want to use the Layouts feature another way. 

Hence the suggestion for several user configurable settings in the program settings (or options).

Posts 229
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 12:05 PM

SteveF:
No, the present "shortcut" buttons only have the "open/delete" choices.

Thanks for checking.

If understand what Peter us suggesting he is only talking about setting up a specific layout that he uses to sync between his two machines on a more ad hoc basis - as opposed to updating a whole lot of his standard layouts.

The way a tend to work is I start from a number of starting layouts but then as a follow different rabbit trails I end up with slight modifications of the original layout (particularly in the sense of additional non-commentary or Bible resources that I have opened that I'm refering to in that specific situation. I don't want to remember this layout forever, I just want to be able to quickly transfer it over to one of my other machines if I am moving location (I sync across 4 machines) - this is particular useful when multiple screens are involved. By the sounds of things the newest beta has the functionality for me to do this but Peter is wanting it a little more automated - personally I would be happy (as previously mentioned) to be able to just have it as a short cut option

Scripture set to music for worship and aid memorization. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-DojPa0TlpCGhtUJq1e3Pw

Posts 1544
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 3:04 PM

Jeremy White:
am I to understand that you would like a scenario when you finish working on one machine (perhaps in the middle of something) and then you go home and want to start off exactly where you left things previously? If so I can see that being useful - the trick is to figure the best way to handle exceptions to the rule - in other words, what if there is a situation where you don't want the current snapshot to overwrite your sync layout?

Yes, Jeremy, that's my intention.  If you don't want it sync'ed for any reason, just turn off the Auto-sync option I'm proposing.

I think Kevin, Stein, and I were all proposing some kind of auto-layout sync enhancement on the same day.  I like Stein's proposal better than mine, actually.

Bottom line is this: L4 auto-saves and auto-syncs everything... every keystroke you type in Notes, every clipping, every highlighting... except layout changes, where you need to go through a multi-step process to sync up to the "cloud" (and to your other machine).  It seems to make sense to me to offer this (auto-sync of layout) as an option.  I agree that this is not a high priority compared to the other missing features.

Again, to answer the others' questions, if you don't want this to happen, then don't use this proposed new option, or turn it off temporarily if you're concerned it might overwrite a layout that you want to preserve.

Thanks,

Peter

Posts 3742
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 4:30 PM

Stein Dahl:
Couldn't it be set to only sync the layout that is in use at the moment, leaving all the other layouts as they are?  Then when you switch to another layout - THAT ONE would be the ONLY ONE that would sync.  I think it would be possible.

Stein Dahl:
if the program could be set to sync only the layout that I am using (at any given moment) - now that would be much more useful to me, because I have several layouts - each for doing different things, and those are the only ones I am interested in keeping "synced".

Hi Stein,

If Logos only synced while the layout was open, I could live with that... At present, however, it isn't apparent that the software is tracking layout names so that it'd know which one is open. Those are the only layouts I'm interested in syncing, also.

Stein Dahl:
I really have no use at all for the layouts feature to do an automatic "snapshot" every few minutes.  I just end up with a bunch of useless "snapshots" that I never go back to. 

Yes +1

I'd much prefer a "Save current Layout" button (or command that I could drag into the shortcut area to create my own button) that saved the current open layout.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3742
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 4:31 PM

PeterLi:
It seems to make sense to me to offer this (auto-sync of layout) as an option.

PeterLi:
I like Stein's proposal better than mine, actually.

I like that one, too. Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 10822
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 6:44 AM

MJ. Smith:

I agree.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS