[resolved] Possible bug connected with notes and highlighting

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 641
Jim | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 15 2015 12:13 PM

1. I have highlighted a selection of text in a Bible with a color from the highlighting pallet, let's say yellow.

2. Later I come back and select the highlighted text, right click and add a note to a note file just for the highlighted words.

3. Now a note like this can highlight the text with it's own color. I use light blue for grammatical notes on particular words or phrases, so in this case I want to erase the yellow highlight and use the blue from the note.

Since I'm focused on the note I select the note symbol (default is yellow square) next to the note and then the light blue swatch then go back to remove the yellow highlighting I previously added from the highlighter pallet. 

In the past I have found that using the Erase function of the Highlighter pallet will erase both they yellow highlight AND the highlight applied by the note requiring me to go back to the note and reapply it's highlighting. Inconvenient that they are tied together, but I got used to that. After all if I had thought ahead I could have deleted the highlight then added to note, but I frequently forget this sequence, since I'm focused on my analysis that led me to add the note.

4. However lately I find that using the Erase function of the highlighter pane it DELETES the note connection entirely, not just the highlighting. The note is no longer associated with the original text.

Certainly there are work-arounds and a better way as I mentioned above. But while I'm studying it's best if the tool doesn't have interactions like this which end up distracting me.

It would be best if note highlighting, linking and pallet highlighting were independent. But at the very least can you fix it so that erasing highlighting does not erase the note association?

Thanks.

PS. I have added notes to several words and phrases in a verse as well as two notes for the whole verse. Then I accidentally yellow highlighted the entire verse. Now I'm stuck. I'm afraid that if I use the Erase function in the highlighter pane I will disconnect all the notes. I'll try it out when I have time to repair it all.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 162
LogosEmployee
Chris Culy (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2015 9:14 AM

Notes and highlights are the same thing under the hood within Logos; visually, a highlight is just a note with the note indicator turned off. If you use the Erase function from the Highlighting tool, it will erase all notes/highlights in the selected region.

If (from your example) you want to erase the yellow highlight while leaving the note with blue highlighting, you can open the note document that corresponds to the highlighting palette you used when highlighting the text yellow. The note document will have the same name as the grouping in the highlighting tool where you selected the yellow highlighting style, likely "Solid Colors" or "Highlighter Pens". You can open the note document from the Documents menu at the top left. Once you have the note document open, you can find the highlight you want to remove and delete it from the drop down menu on the right (appears on hover).

If you want a way to remove the blue highlighting while leaving the blue note indicator, you will need to open the note document where your note resides and you can click on the note indicator in the note document which will bring up various styling options including "No highlight".

I hope that helps some. Thanks!

Posts 641
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2015 11:29 AM

Thanks for taking all the time to provide these precise instructions.Big Smile It was helpful in removing some of the highlighting without having to redo the ones I wanted to keep.

Still a rather long way 'round and a serious distraction from my real work, so I hope Logos can make this easier.

Have a great day,
jmac

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS